Ponet Vedra Beach Fishing

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
acipenser

Ponet Vedra Beach Fishing

Post by acipenser »

Hey boys,
I'm vsiting from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, Minnesota.
I am staying about 1/2 mile south of the Gate over Christmas vacation and I would love to fiish.
Last time I was there, I bought a rod/reel combo at a pawn shop in St.Augustine and got some shrimp from the Gate and ended up with a small whitefish off the beach.

I would like to step it up a notch and catch ( or target ) some bigger fish like SHARKS, is it even possible?

Any/All recommendations appreciated. Any Guides available?

[/img][/url]

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

Sharks will be scarce this time of year, but off the beach they are still catching Whiting, Blues, and Drum. If you go over to the mud side I hear the Flounder, Red, Trout bite is going off right now at Guana Dam.
sponsored by: APAT Designer Services

acipenser

Post by acipenser »

budman wrote:Sharks will be scarce this time of year, but off the beach they are still catching Whiting, Blues, and Drum. If you go over to the mud side I hear the Flounder, Red, Trout bite is going off right now at Guana Dam.
Thanks Budman for the quick reply!

Looks like Guana Dam ( that is just North of the Gate?!), what kind of presentation is recommended, best times?
Three years ago we biked the guana trails and saw shorefishing on the intercoastal(?) any ideas what they might be targeting.

Thanks a ton. Any easy fishing at the dam for a 2 year old and a 4 yr old?
Doesn't matter as long a it doesn't lag too long, we go sunfish fishing with them up here.

PS - it was -2 degrees on my drive to work yesterday :shock:

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

I have never fished the dam, but from what I hear, live bait might be your best bet, I would use live finger mullet or mud minnows on a fish finder rig ( sliding egg sinker ) or, live shrimp under a float. Cut bait might work for the bull Reds out there. Be prepared to go through a lot of bait feeding the crabs. As far as taking the kids, I know it gets crowded, so you might want to go early. There is also a pier down in Vilano that might be a better place for the kids.
Good luck, post a report and let us know how you do. Bud

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

Oh, yeah, leave that weather up there. It is supposed to hit 80 degrees here today. :D :D :D :D

redfisher72
Fisher

Post by redfisher72 »

It was nice meeting you at guana acipenser. I was the guy that made up that double rig for you to use out in the surf. Did you end up getting and whiting or was the surf on the other side too rough. When you left guana the bite really turned on for us down below, we caught plenty of reds and nice black drum, too bad you left.

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”