NEED TIPS FOR LAND BASE SHARK FISHING

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
tiger101
Weekend Warrior

NEED TIPS FOR LAND BASE SHARK FISHING

Post by tiger101 »

HI I'M NEW TO SHARK FISHING AND NOTICED THAT THERE IS A MILLION DIFFERENT WAYS AND TECHNIQUES WHEN IT COMES TO SHARK FISHING SO I WAS TOLD TO COME HERE FOR HELP I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY

WHAT I'M USING AS OF NOW:
10 FT CHAOS CUSTOM BUILT ROD 80/130 BLANK
TIAGRA 130 WITH 999 YARD OF 130 MONO SOME SAY IT'S OVER KILL LOL
30 FT OF #19 WIRE WITH STINGER RIG WRAPPED WITH BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE
SIZE 14 J HOOKS WITH WELDED EYES
500 LB SWIVEL

IF YOU GUYS COULD GIVE ME ANY TIPS I'D APPRECIATE IT

tiger101
Weekend Warrior

Re: NEED TIPS FOR LAND BASE SHARK FISHING

Post by tiger101 »

what would you recommend ???

Cannible
Weekend Warrior

Post by Cannible »

I think that was a joke.

tiger101
Weekend Warrior

Post by tiger101 »

o ok lol

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

tiger101 When I read this post I thought you were joking and just making fun of the people that fish the old way.

Just make sure you test the power of any big reel, set it at a drag that you will not be pulled in the water with or slammed against any railing with.

If you ask specific questions, people may be able to help you. What answers are you looking for? Baits? Where to drop? By the way you only need one hook, stinger hooks are not necessary. Up to 15 feet of #19 is good.

tiger101
Weekend Warrior

Post by tiger101 »

ok my main problem is my rigs; circle hooks vs j hooks, wire vs cable, swivels vs crimps, stinger or just one hook and my other problem is my timing on setting the hook. A buddy of mine told me about the 5 second rule: let it run 5 sec & set hook. But I found out that it didn't work for me. I'm getting really mad because my spot is very good and I'm getting hit on every bait I put out but I can never get them in lol forgot to tell you guys I'm new to the whole shark fishing thing

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

These are my 2 cents, other may chime in with difference of opinions.

I do not like circle hooks for shark fishing because they are too difficult to take out of a sharks mouth most of the time when these get lodge in their jaws, but that is a debate on its own.

wire vs cable – this is another debate between shark fishermen. I mostly use single strand wire, but will use cable when fishing in the key’s bridges (the heaviness of the cable helps with keeping the bait down)

swivels vs crimps – I always use swivels

stinger or just one hook – Now days I only use one hook

timing on setting the hook – This depends on the size of the bait. Big bait, more time

If the spot where you are fishing holds a lot of blacktips, fine tooth, and spinner sharks you may think you have a major hot at times but then they drop the bait. Then tend to play with the bait and not swallow it. At times it may be a real hit but while setting the hook you maybe yanking out of their mouth. Don’t bring the bait right in after a hit, they will come back for it just give it a couple of minutes while checking your slack at all times. If not it will just wash up on the beach. It has happened plenty time to me for not paying attention to my lines.

Be safe out there and I hope you are planning on practicing catch and release.

tiger101
Weekend Warrior

Post by tiger101 »

thank you for your help. i believe in catch & release

Hoogan
Fisher

Post by Hoogan »

tiger101 wrote: i believe in catch & release
:thumleft:

Boatless administrator and members believe and practice catch and release of sharks.
Can't really say other sites actually practice the release part...

Return to “Shark'in Info”