Shark Questions for our Members

This area is for Shark'in Reports from all over, These reports must be catch and Release if you've gone shark'in put them here. All photos of sharks must be alive, there will be no tolerance for Photos of Dead Sharks.

Oh no are there sharks at the beach?
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Shark Questions for our Members

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

I am asking these questions so in the future I know where the members of this site stand, I may add a new rule for posting of dead sharks.

In the past it was not done, but in light of this weeks post the question must be asked

Should BF Forum only support Catch and release of Sharks ?

Should BF Forum support the harvesting of a shark that has a food value that is Black tips, Makos and a few of the smaller species of sharks ?

Should we leave it alone ?

Yes the state of Florida does give the right to harvest a shark and I in most cases I support this, but I don't think Tiger - Bull - Hammerheads should be harvested because there really is not very much food value.

Please reply to these questions, I would like to read your thoughts on this.

The Shorebound Shark Tourney in no way supports the killing of a shark and that is why I am looking for clarification on the BF Forums stand on this subject, I in most cases do not make the rules for this forum and allow the users to dictate the way the forum is and functions as a whole.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Shark Questions for our Members

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I think the article in Florida Sportsman was very good! It was stated that we support catch and release of sharks. I support the catch and release of sharks, but also like to keep Black Tips once in awhile to eat. A photo of a big dead shark is old skool. We grew up seeing pictures of this and wanted to have our pictures taken with a jumbo fish like that, after all its still a trophy like a big Mule Deer, Elk, or Big Horn Sheep. If it is not a food type shark then I don't think it is right to post pictures of it's slaughter. It's just bragging. I've killed alot of fish and big game animals in my short time, I could post pictures of my dead bull shark that went to the chinese restaurant, (hopefully and not the dumpster), hanging at the boat ramp with the city workers of Boca Raton on the city cherry picker, but I know better because it promotes the continued rape of the waters we fish. I don't have kids, but if I did I would want them to catch fish in the future, and the only way to do that is conservation. I think the days of killing just for sh!ts and giggles is long gone. So stick to your guns. We know whats right. :toast:

BoatlessFisherman

Boca--Not sure of what article you are referring to but if it is the FS interview I did-- I believe the Article should state, We support Catch and Release Shark Tournaments, Not kill Tourneys, the interview was on Catch and release Shark Tourneys and I explained that it is the fishermans choice if they harvest to eat but in no way did this site support Kill Tourneys and participation in them.

I am for the supporting of Catch and release of all sharks in this site and the only Photos are of Live ones that are released.

But the posting of harvested sharks in this site is not necessary, a report of the catch and the adventure would be enough, it is a much nicer report when you see the shark in a pic and they let it go, So I would rather not see pics of DEAD SHARKS legal or not, there are other Forums that don't mind this and those types of pics can be posted there with no problems.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

If Bulls, Hammers, and Tigers are legal to harvest then the members still have the rights to post. Who are we to say the person who is harvesting the shark what is good eating or not. Did you forget you once told us that some people find Bonito good eating while others thought it was disgusting. If BF and Shorebound feels posting pictures of dead or filleted sharks is offensive then it should not be allow. It should not be a double standard. Shorebound promotes catch and release and it is part of a shark organization. Outsiders who come on this forum and find kill pictures will not understand why BF and Shorebound supports the harvesting of sharks. My opinion is to ban all kill pictures of sharks. This ends all problems now and the future. All shark pictures should be review by admin.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

i agree with boca every now and then if we catch a black tip i eat it .its good stuff .i try bull shark no good .hammers never we caught one always heard from the pro's its not good eating if is legal its fine with me imho as long it dont go to waste.i agree with catch and released.btw i dont fish for them back pain :D

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:I think the article in Florida Sportsman was very good! It was stated that we support catch and release of sharks. I support the catch and release of sharks, but also like to keep Black Tips once in awhile to eat. A photo of a big dead shark is old skool. We grew up seeing pictures of this and wanted to have our pictures taken with a jumbo fish like that, after all its still a trophy like a big Mule Deer, Elk, or Big Horn Sheep. If it is not a food type shark then I don't think it is right to post pictures of it's slaughter. It's just bragging. I've killed alot of fish and big game animals in my short time, I could post pictures of my dead bull shark that went to the chinese restaurant, (hopefully and not the dumpster), hanging at the boat ramp with the city workers of Boca Raton on the city cherry picker, but I know better because it promotes the continued rape of the waters we fish. I don't have kids, but if I did I would want them to catch fish in the future, and the only way to do that is conservation. I think the days of killing just for sh!ts and giggles is long gone. So stick to your guns. We know whats right. :toast:
:stupid: I agree with boca after the article in Florida Sportsman that we are an advocate for catch and release shark fishing website, it seems contradictory that there would be a post of a hammerhead being filleted on the forums less than a week after the magazine's release...yes even though it was harvested legally, it still doesn't look good in my perspective.

BoatlessFisherman

I am curious as to why a post like this popped up NOW, I don't remember a post like this in a while.

So I have not seen this article.
-Tommy A-

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

It poped up i believe because they " whomever they are" are testing your patience.

Also i hope my boatless email just stoped working by coincidence, And not by design?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I have no problem with a legal harvest. I also have no problem with the posting of a pic of a legal harvest. However the people who are using these pics in an effort to ban sharking will post any pic and make up their own story. We have seen this tactic used in DelRay. I believe the solution is simple. Copywrite every pic of a shark thats posted. It is a simple process of nothing more than this. Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]"
That small bit of info at the bottom of any and all shark pic's posted regardless of the outcome makes the use of that pic by anyone but the author illegal. I don't think people should be faulted for doing something legal as long as it's responsible. One of the reasons I joined Boatless was due to it's position on catch and relese. As Boca and get-em stated we don't kill for trophy's. The ocasonal harvest of a Black tip or Bull for the table is not only legal but responsible. These anamals are fairly abundant and an ocasonal harvest won't damage their #s. However just because a Shark is not on restricted list does not mean it's not in trouble. Short fin Macos are very rare and should be released. Due in a large part to our experience last year Tom, Like Sean said we don't want to load the gun they are going to shoot us with. To that end I don't think it's unreasonable to clear all shark pic's through Admin. just to be sure they are copywrited. At least the conservation groups can't legally use them. I also don't believe this was just a coincidence that it came up now. JMHO
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

Ban all shark kill pictures, and ban people who post them solely hoping for a negative reaction as well (aka stirring the poo pot aka beating a dead horse aka pitting forum vs forum ect ect ect).
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

sharkreleaser26

Post by sharkreleaser26 »

I think you should be able to post pictures of a dead shark. If people dont wanna see it then then dont! If its not illegal, then why say its wrong? Just about every post that is made on this site someone argues that their opinion is right, when in fact it is just an opinion! Go check out south florida shark club NO ONE bashes other peoples catches on there ever!

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

rob762 wrote:Regardless of species, no one wants to see a picture of an animal being prepared for eating...

Agreed. The story, the fight, the conditions and triumph is enough information. Any legal harvest is up to the individual. But, a full line of fillet pictures is not necessary and can be confused with supporting one side of an issue.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

rshields wrote:
rob762 wrote:Regardless of species, no one wants to see a picture of an animal being prepared for eating...

Agreed. The story, the fight, the conditions and triumph is enough information. Any legal harvest is up to the individual. But, a full line of fillet pictures is not necessary.

x 2 :salut:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

sharkreleaser26 wrote:So a dead shark is allowed? Just not if its being filleted?

why you want to show a shark with all the guts outside head cut off i think its a waste of time.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

For me if you have a right to harvest and you decide to do so then you can. Personally, just because I can does not mean I would. If someone is within their rights then they have their own choice to make. The picture is a distraction, the politics is the issue and the rights of an individual comes into play. Personal choice within guidelines I support.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Should BF Forum only support Catch and release of Sharks ? Yes!

Should BF Forum support the harvesting of a shark that has a food value that is Black tips, Makos and a few of the smaller species of sharks ? My personal opinion is release all sharks, but that's just me.

Should we leave it alone ? No - We need to stick by our catch and release guns. We can't have it both ways.

Yes the state of Florida does give the right to harvest a shark and I in most cases I support this, but I don't think Tiger - Bull - Hammerheads should be harvested because there really is not very much food value. Agreed

[/quote]
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

sharkreleaser26 wrote:I think you should be able to post pictures of a dead shark. If people dont wanna see it then then dont! If its not illegal, then why say its wrong? Just about every post that is made on this site someone argues that their opinion is right, when in fact it is just an opinion! Go check out south florida shark club NO ONE bashes other peoples catches on there ever!
It is not wrong for people to legally harvest sharks. Since the Shorebound advocates catch and release just like the Hammer Challenge does it is in everyone best interest not to allow any killed shark pictures. It is to prevent any problems from PETA and any animal right group to use to fight against what we all love to do. That is to fish. How can we promote catch and release tourney and have killed shark pictures thrown back into our face by these watch groups? We will be consider hypocrites and will destroy the hard work of shark awareness we all work so hard for. As the tourney/ organization gets more successful every watch group will put them under scrutiny. It is no longer just about posting pictures of their shark catches anymore. Now every post can have repercussions.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Like others have said, it is hypocritical to be the host of the largest shorebound C&R shark tourney, and then allow pictures of dead sharks to be posted on the same site. This is exactly the type of ammo PETA and other organizations want to see, so they can work to ban shark fishing altogether. If you choose to kill a legal shark, keep the pictures to yourself, IMO, or post them on a forum that supports that.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Like others have said, it is hypocritical to be the host of the largest shorebound C&R shark tourney, and then allow pictures of dead sharks to be posted on the same site. This is exactly the type of ammo PETA and other organizations want to see, so they can work to ban shark fishing altogether. If you choose to kill a legal shark, keep the pictures to yourself, IMO, or post them on a forum that supports that.

DIDN'T know that wow . :shock: so this is a good thing not to post dead sharks .

BoatlessFisherman

Continue the discussion.

Yes one does have the right to harvest certain Sharks but the exploitation is unnecessary in this site and will no longer be.

I have made the rule on what I think is right from wrong, but I would still like to hear how our members feel about this issue with sharks.

Zero tolerance Thread has our rules
-Tommy A-

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

:stupid: I agree with boca after the article in Florida Sportsman that we are an advocate for catch and release shark fishing website, it seems contradictory that there would be a post of a hammerhead being filleted on the forums less than a week after the magazine's release...yes even though it was harvested legally, it still doesn't look good in my perspective.[/quote]
This is what I'm talking about.
PhishingPhanatic wrote:Like others have said, it is hypocritical to be the host of the largest shorebound C&R shark tourney, and then allow pictures of dead sharks to be posted on the same site. This is exactly the type of ammo PETA and other organizations want to see, so they can work to ban shark fishing altogether. If you choose to kill a legal shark, keep the pictures to yourself, IMO, or post them on a forum that supports that.
Yes this makes total sence too!

It is not wrong for people to legally harvest sharks. Since the Shorebound advocates catch and release just like the Hammer Challenge does it is in everyone best interest not to allow any killed shark pictures. It is to prevent any problems from PETA and any animal right group to use to fight against what we all love to do. That is to fish. How can we promote catch and release tourney and have killed shark pictures thrown back into our face by these watch groups? We will be consider hypocrites and will destroy the hard work of shark awareness we all work so hard for. As the tourney/ organization gets more successful every watch group will put them under scrutiny. It is no longer just about posting pictures of their shark catches anymore. Now every post can have repercussions.[/quote]
Exactly!

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

yes, ive took a few smaller sharks home with me in the past but just out of curiosity as to how they taste.
truth is i didn't care much about it and that includes the scallop hammerhead, black-tip, spinner and lemon which ive tasted.
to me there plainly wasn't any taste to it at all. just a rubbery feeling when biting down on it... somewhat like chewing on a tire mulch nugget,
and this is even when i marinated and seasoned it too. i really dont find the meat to be desirable unlike the other fish i tried such
as grouper & snapper. honestly... one other good reason why i dont want to keep sharks is because it takes to much time and hassle(I think) to prepare it. i believe the sharks ive cleaned & fillet in the past took me at least 30 minutes until i was totally finished with it. my guess would be that something of size like a 6 footer and up would take too much time. time i dont want to spend cleaning D@mn fish. Oh and since this is owned by the Tom the administrator... he can choose what is acceptable and what is not.
if he doesn't want a picture of a shark, tarpon, or etc killed even if its legal and for food value than it is still his choice for keeping it off
the site.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Good Summary...Agreed

SurvivorMan
Weekend Warrior

Post by SurvivorMan »

I'm a catch and release guy, but I support the rights of others to harvest and reserve my right to harvest.

I would support a don't ask don't tell policy and a ban on posting kill pics.

Illegal harvesting is another matter. If guilty, justice should be swift and brutal.

Charlie

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Robalo do you make posts just to confuse the hell out of people? What does what you posted have anything to do with catch and release shark fishing?
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

james380 wrote:Robalo do you make posts just to confuse the hell out of people? What does what you posted have anything to do with catch and release shark fishing?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Shark'in Reports”