Shark Questions for our Members

This area is for Shark'in Reports from all over, These reports must be catch and Release if you've gone shark'in put them here. All photos of sharks must be alive, there will be no tolerance for Photos of Dead Sharks.

Oh no are there sharks at the beach?
fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Shark Questions for our Members

Post by fixed80 »

james380 wrote:Robalo do you make posts just to confuse the hell out of people? What does what you posted have anything to do with catch and release shark fishing?
and not just it has nothing to do with the topic, it was brought up over 6 months ago.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

james380 wrote:Robalo do you make posts just to confuse the hell out of people? What does what you posted have anything to do with catch and release shark fishing?

Rabalo ???????????????????????????????

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

Ok first about the picture of the snook. That fish was caught out of season, landed with the net next to it and returned to water in the same net. I kill a lot of snook every year but everyone is in season, the correct size, and all over snook are returned to the water with love and care. Sorry if some of the kids at Juno dont take care of the snook in the summer, but it aint me and I am no kid. Many of the worst offenders are people who come up here from down south.

As far as the killing of sharks, it pretty clear that post was made just piss people off. No other reason to post a picture of shark caught that long ago, especially since it was already posted on the other website shortly after it was caught. We shouldnt allow pics of dead sharks anymore. Its not worth the bad pub that we will get from pictures like that. Honestly Tommy this is your site and I know your feelings toward killing sharks, just do what you know is right.
ILSFA Member and Record Holder
Team Blackbart

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

JunoChris wrote:As far as the killing of sharks, it pretty clear that post was made just piss people off. No other reason to post a picture of shark caught that long ago, especially since it was already posted on the other website shortly after it was caught. We shouldnt allow pics of dead sharks anymore. Its not worth the bad pub that we will get from pictures like that. Honestly Tommy this is your site and I know your feelings toward killing sharks, just do what you know is right.
As soon as I saw that post I thought the same thing. It was posted to stir things up and ff73 did a good job of preventing things from getting out of hand by telling everyone not to bash.

Like Chris and a few others have been saying, it's up to you Tommy.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

The post that Rabalo wrote was the last straw for him. Veteran BF members know JunoChris is a stand up member. He has contribute a lot to this forum and the shark fishing community.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

That fish and report was used to stir emotions and upset the real fisherman ,who actually care about the future of our fisheries, especially Hammers. I know for a fact that the hammer they caught was caught months ago and why the hell would they post it now. No matter who tries to deny it or support these " boys from the hoods" rights, should keep in mind the post title was hammer taste good. Okay well then I woudl understand a post in the recipes section, but to go and post a report on a website that endorses catch and release fishing is BS. These guys can go post all thier slaughters alogn with the rest of the "other sites. BF should be not be brought down by these people, I'm sure like many of you have said that the conservationalists are lokign at the forums and trying to shut us down. It happened at Delray and it's goign to persist in the future. This forum should send people a positive message of strict catch and release and smart, beach friendly angling, not filleting Hammers in parking lots, and dragging them up the beach, people are bound to see this reckless action. Legally they did nothing wrong, but Tommy as the admin of this website, I woudl strongly advise catch and release posts, only for the sake of protecting our rights to fish beaches, without being shut down. These enviromentalists, want to see pics of sharks beign release, unharmed, not slaughtered in a park to feed a couple of people. Another thing, I now Hammers are permitted for harvesting, but honestly how much longer do you think this will last. They're already on the endagenered list, and I have no idea how they are still permitted, but I firmly beleive that the majority of the fisherman on this forum, would agree with me in catch and release fishing, especially with our larger species such as hammer's tigers and bulls. We need to take affirmative action in preserving thier future, even before it becomes illegal. I check south Florida shark clubs website from time to time and no matter how much their members argue they support catch and release. People need to open their eyes, and take a stand. :patriot:
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

madshark
Fisher

Post by madshark »

You asked for opinions. Here's mine. You run this forum. It is your vision and sweat equity in it. Make it what you believe it should be. There must be a leader. If you try to run this by committe it descends to a lot of meaningless squabbling.

But since you asked..... :auto:

BoatlessFisherman wrote:I am asking these questions so in the future I know where the members of this site stand, I may add a new rule for posting of dead sharks.

In the past it was not done, but in light of this weeks post the question must be asked

Should BF Forum only support Catch and release of Sharks ?
Advocate the catch and release of sharks. Encourage it. Promote it. Reward it. However, if it is a legal act it does not need to be censored.

Should BF Forum support the harvesting of a shark that has a food value that is Black tips, Makos and a few of the smaller species of sharks ?
See above.

Should we leave it alone ?
No. You should establish a policy and enforce it. Whatever it is.

Yes the state of Florida does give the right to harvest a shark and I in most cases I support this, but I don't think Tiger - Bull - Hammerheads should be harvested because there really is not very much food value.
I have eaten Bull Sharks to 350# and the flesh, prepared properly, was delicious.

Please reply to these questions, I would like to read your thoughts on this.

The Shorebound Shark Tourney in no way supports the killing of a shark and that is why I am looking for clarification on the BF Forums stand on this subject, I in most cases do not make the rules for this forum and allow the users to dictate the way the forum is and functions as a whole.
I used to suffer from mental ilness. Now, I've learned to enjoy it.
Mark A. Duncan

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Let me make a clarification

BF Forum is not going to dictate to anyone what they should harvest if it is legal.

BF Forum is just not going to allow the posting of Dead Sharks or reports about the killing of Sharks it is not what most of us what to see or read. Those that don't agree may go elsewhere

BF Forum has been about Catch and Release of Sharks and I am clarifying this because of the fact that The Shark Tourney is hosted here and it is viewed as one The Shark Tourney and the Boatless fishing site.

I have asked for input , but when all said and done I am making this rule because I don't want to see anymore dead Shark Pictures it is an old mentality and not something I am a part of anymore.

So members lets not flame someone because they do legally harvest a species you do not agree with, lets leave that alone.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

The enviromentalists are going to make up what ever story they want and attach it to any photo they want. They will even make up their own story. Whats worse is people will believe it. Perception is reality. Whether the Shark in a picture is alive or not is up to whoever is telling the story. Whether it was released or not again is up to the author. Shark safe wrote what was essentially a complete fabrication of lies. And used pictures of Sharks caught from everywhere but DelRay beach downloaded from sites like ours to convince the city council to enact a Shark fishing ban. Based on those same pictures representing the slaughter at DelRay beach. It worked to the degree that the C/C bought it hook line and sinker. Even after the Mayor changed the language in the ordance the City Attourney "forgot" to include the new language in the actual law. Just like they forgot that the first reading of the ord. was a public meeting for all to attend and speak. The beach Sharking community was railroaded from start to finnish. A blind man could have seen that the C/C had their minds made up before we ever walked into the building. I was there and watched it happen much to my disbelief. My point here is unless we protect and secure the photos we post of any Shark caught regardless of the circumstances it can end up being used in the same way. Unless a photo is copywrited it's public domain and can be used by anyone for anything. I don't even fish for Shark. I dive and swim with them. That does not mean I don't respect other peoples legal right to harvest a legal Shark. Whoever posted that thread was obviously looking for trouble. Thanks to the mods it never really got off the ground. While I don't believe it's right to restrict legal harvest pic's, I have to agree it's in the best intrest of the forum to do so. Administration may want to consider making it a requirement that all Shark pic's be copywrited by the photographer. JMHO
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

crashmister wrote:The enviromentalists are going to make up what ever story they want and attach it to any photo they want. They will even make up their own story. Whats worse is people will believe it. Perception is reality. Whether the Shark in a picture is alive or not is up to whoever is telling the story. Whether it was released or not again is up to the author. Shark safe wrote what was essentially a complete fabrication of lies. And used pictures of Sharks caught from everywhere but DelRay beach downloaded from sites like ours to convince the city council to enact a Shark fishing ban. Based on those same pictures representing the slaughter at DelRay beach. It worked to the degree that the C/C bought it hook line and sinker. Even after the Mayor changed the language in the ordance the City Attourney "forgot" to include the new language in the actual law. Just like they forgot that the first reading of the ord. was a public meeting for all to attend and speak. The beach Sharking community was railroaded from start to finnish. A blind man could have seen that the C/C had their minds made up before we ever walked into the building. I was there and watched it happen much to my disbelief. My point here is unless we protect and secure the photos we post of any Shark caught regardless of the circumstances it can end up being used in the same way. Unless a photo is copywrited it's public domain and can be used by anyone for anything. I don't even fish for Shark. I dive and swim with them. That does not mean I don't respect other peoples legal right to harvest a legal Shark. Whoever posted that thread was obviously looking for trouble. Thanks to the mods it never really got off the ground. While I don't believe it's right to restrict legal harvest pic's, I have to agree it's in the best intrest of the forum to do so. Administration may want to consider making it a requirement that all Shark pic's be copywrited by the photographer. JMHO
well said, but they flat out posted a hammer slaughtered on the side walk, can't argue that fish release lol, but very true the tree hugers, will do as they please
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

ncbateman1
Fisher

Post by ncbateman1 »

Hi guys and gals:

Too damn many tree huggers here.

Norman

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Norman; Nice avatar. No tree huggers here just responsible anglers. Why don't you join the rest of us in the Twenty First century.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

ncbateman1 wrote:Hi guys and gals:

Norman
If you don't like it, than leave. We're trying to prevent shark fishing from being banned all together.

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

Norman
I am pretty sure there a few other sites where they love the old guys and you can go and be told how great you were in the 70's.
crashmister wrote:Norman; Nice avatar. No tree huggers here just responsible anglers. Why don't you join the rest of us in the Twenty First century.
Your wasting your time they are still trying to find thier way into the 20th century in Texas.
ILSFA Member and Record Holder
Team Blackbart

madshark
Fisher

Post by madshark »

JunoChris wrote:...Your wasting your time they are still trying to find thier way into the 20th century in Texas.
Ah yes, I remember the 20th century. Back in the old days. When students across the nation were taught the difference between you're (you are) and your (belonging to you). Of course that is still taught in Texas, even in the 21st century.

Were triing 2 find hour wa in2 the 21st sinchury hear. Mabee u can help?
Mark A. Duncan

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

i think u should be able to keep anything thats within the rules and regs and if you're going to keep to eat or mount. but like it was said earlier, i personally wont post a pic of ANY game or fish that has been dismembered (seems kinda brutal). but that doesnt mean u shouldnt be able to post ur catch of a shark that has been kept for watever reason. if its legal, then its all good, cuz people ultimately need to keep their opinions to themselves if its not in relation to congratulating someone for a good legal catch even if they dont approve. this is true cuz people tend to get sensitive to the matter and start bashing. i have NEVER bashed anyone here on their catch even if i didnt approve. if u dont approve of a legal catch, keep it to yourself. it doesnt matter what YOU think is a good eating shark, as long as its abiding the law. i love this site cuz it lets you talk about ur experiences, learn from others and meet fellow fishermen and express ur opinions or thoughts, but lets keep those opinions for other topics and not bash or derail a thread or post! :dude:

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

Just take 2 pics of the shark, one pic after you catch it and one pic of it swimming away, proof of release should solve any issues and i agree with others no pics of dead ones.
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

madshark wrote:
JunoChris wrote:...Your wasting your time they are still trying to find thier way into the 20th century in Texas.
Ah yes, I remember the 20th century. Back in the old days. When students across the nation were taught the difference between you're (you are) and your (belonging to you). Of course that is still taught in Texas, even in the 21st century.

Seriously is that the best you can do? What's next penmanship?

madshark
Fisher

Post by madshark »

crashmister wrote:
madshark wrote:

Seriously is that the best you can do? What's next penmanship?
Let me splian it simply for you 21st century educated dolts who cannot understand my point. I was using his improper grammar (by the way, you should have a comma after, "Seriously" and after, "next") to point out there are many good things about past times and the great state of Texas.

That said, I find the posting of the picture of the fileting of that shark offensive. Not the picture, itself. But the fact it was posted on this site. I respect what Boatlessfisherman has put together here. His vision and hard work have developed a really nice community of fishermen who generally are respectful. This site is a well conceived place to exchange ideas and brag some.

And don't fear, I will contintue to come to the beautiful state of Florida to vacation and fish. And while I'm there, raise the average IQ of the state. :P
Mark A. Duncan

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Norman

Norman, you missed the point.

L8RBRA
Old Salt

Post by L8RBRA »

I have caught less sharks than cougars in my life. I practice catch and release of both even if you are bitten by the said creature. I dont mind looking at a dead legal shark that is kept for the table. Sure it is a great thing to catch and release but at the same time it is someones right to keep a legal fish. As far as posting goes. Its Tommy's site and he can do as he pleases in regards to the posting of dead sharks. I dont think that people should be banned for posting a pic of that nature but then again that part is out of my hands. People eat sharks..... nuff said. I think the mods here could keep a pretty good grasp on what is right and wrong when deciding on the OP's pic at hand. Just my .02 tho.

From my experience..... telling people what they can and cant do even if it is the popular vote is not always the best avenue for a online forum. People have a weird way of deciding what is and what is not the right mindset on a issue as such.
Adam .... Fish On!

25&3tonsofhim
Fisher

Post by 25&3tonsofhim »

Ban all harvest of tigers, hammers and bulls.As many members have stated here these fish are of no food value and high of mercury content.I have a 15 month old son and would like him to have an opportunity to see sharks in the wild when he grows up.There are some people who like to post pictures of dead sharks to stir up the pot, I joined this website as I am tired of seeing big hammers,bulls & tigers being killed for their jaws and fins cut off to be sold to the markets, so banned anyone who does this :auto: .My 2 cents.

Return to “Shark'in Reports”