bridge sticks

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: bridge sticks

Post by permitchaser »

do it on old rods and learn from your mistakes thats how i learn ,i havent work on my project mom is back in the hospital,and it dont look good ...i will paint blank to keep my mind busy from my problem. yes be careful adding pigment or enamel if you put too much you messed the epoxy ...it looks easy but its not, keep doing it and learn from your mistakes thats how i did . if you dont want colors to mix you put one color first wait a lil bit and then put the other color.

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

I hope your mom gets better. nothing is worse than seeing a loved one ill.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Thank you sandbar ,it's tuff especially when she have been a great mom ,I missed her already, and the waiting for drs to tell you what's wrong it's nerve wrecking ...

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Just going thru this thread Andale kblue, you'll eventually get it if you're patient, but it's not easy like raul said...raul, I hope your mom gets better bud...

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:Just going thru this thread Andale kblue, you'll eventually get it if you're patient, but it's not easy like raul said...raul, I hope your mom gets better bud...

Leo homeboy thank you :toast: her primary Dr think its the big C---- Without being sure ,this fakers dont give you any hope i change him right away ,he treated my dad rip and told me he was going to die of Cancer.They are like robots no feelings remind me of Mr Spock lol..

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Aight back to sticks.... i shape the foams ,and sealed with epoxy in black ,i change my mind i will used gold metallic dont feel like messing with gold on parts on reel seat they look good like that ,the guides and tip are silver oh well its my rod ...tonite i work again on it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

looking good metallic thread there...and sorry to hear about your mom... i hope all go well with her...
snapperfanatic18 wrote:Just going thru this thread Andale kblue, you'll eventually get it if you're patient.
Thanks... i know easy to say but hard to do it right...

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Thanks K. at the beginning yes once you learn it's easy

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

i marble the butt yesterday thick as fak, i will do the rest today ..the beef stick lol :bom: solid blank boyz not hollow ... was found in a garbage can its alive againnnn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

PaulieBoy wrote:Raul I hate to bust your berries on this one...BUT that looks like wallpaper from my grandmothers house :biglaugh:

its ok meng flash make it louder ....btw Paulie could we see your work ?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Pauli ? wrap or marble either one dont be shy :mrgreen: Well if Scottyo recommend you its got to be good.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

that one came out nice ,i dont used air brush ,ok looking foward to see the black and white ,love that color selection . very nice da second one YUP I BET IT WAS :thumright:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Very nice gun Pauli :toast: did you find the eva foam 24 ''?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Cant hardly tell when its done the right way ...

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Sometimes the seam is really hard to see. Are you using rubber cement?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

No Flexcoat brand

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Oh ok. Another way you can do it is with rubber cement and building up the grips on threaded rod and clamping it together tight. Similar to how you would do cork rings for a cork grip.

If the seam is a concern you can break it up with different colors. If you google Billy Vivona custom grips you can see a bunch of different colored eva foam grips.

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

This is the cement I used on black on black foam. The splice is only visible up close.

DAP contact cement.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Or just put shrink tube...lol

Paul...those rods look very good and simple...don't know why I can't make things simple... :scratch:

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Doing it with flexcoat or rod bond adhesive epoxy is probably the best way though for black on black foam splice. You can butt up both pieces of foam right on the blank that's been wet down with epoxy. The seam will never separate and if the cuts are nice and clean, the seam will be hard to see. Shrink tube is great for covering up foam that's been repaired from being torn, ripped, or somewhat damaged.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

kblue wrote:Or just put shrink tube...lol

Paul...those rods look very good and simple...don't know why I can't make things simple... :scratch:
Too many mind i swear you and my brother are the same were you born in October?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

I used them on my rods ,here is one i did ...

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

the splice looks super clean.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Sandbar wrote:Shrink tube is great for covering up foam that's been repaired from being torn, ripped, or somewhat damaged.
It really comes down to personal preference...Believe or not, I am not used to Rod with Eva form...bulky...It protects the Rod well but also becomes insensitive as it absorb tip action before delivered to hand. (Well you can use the line to detect the bite but I believe this is an improvised method because your rod with Eva can't detect bite very well) That's why I didn't put any Eva around reel seat...

What I found from experiment is shrink tube and cork tape go so well... I can create many shapes of grip with pieces of cork tape and I can cover them win shirk tube...it create grip that fits with your holding...ergonomic shape... But I will always use Eva to protect the rod as Eva is light and has a good cushion.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Sandbar wrote:Shrink tube is great for covering up foam that's been repaired from being torn, ripped, or somewhat damaged.
It really comes down to personal preference...Believe or not, I am not used to Rod with Eva form...bulky...It protects the Rod well but also becomes insensitive as it absorb tip action before delivered to hand. (Well you can use the line to detect the bite but I believe this is an improvised method because your rod with Eva can't detect bite very well) That's why I didn't put any Eva around reel seat...

What I found from experiment is shrink tube and cork tape go so well... I can create many shapes of grip with pieces of cork tape and I can cover them win shirk tube...it create grip that fits with your holding...ergonomic shape... But I will always use Eva to protect the rod as Eva is light and has a good cushion.

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Shrink tube and cork tape is a good combination. For sensitivity have you checked out any reel seats that have exposed blank areas? Your fingers are basically touching the blank. They make a lot of them with triggers for bait casting reels with levelwind, but also spinning reels.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

PaulieBoy wrote:Thanks Kblue, like Salty said you are overthinking it....baby steps, keep it simple at first and the rest will come in time. Sandbar I use to sit for hours staring at Billy's work....that guy does some crazy stuff in rod building!

Billy its truly an insane rod builder ,Pauli have you seen the custom grips he makes ? amazing craftsman ..

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

PaulieBoy wrote:Sandbar I use to sit for hours staring at Billy's work....that guy does some crazy stuff in rod building!
permitchaser wrote:Billy its truly an insane rod builder ,Pauli have you seen the custom grips he makes ? amazing craftsman ..
Billy V is definitely one of the best. Another guy that kills it is Jim Trelikes.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Sandbar wrote:
PaulieBoy wrote:Sandbar I use to sit for hours staring at Billy's work....that guy does some crazy stuff in rod building!
permitchaser wrote:Billy its truly an insane rod builder ,Pauli have you seen the custom grips he makes ? amazing craftsman ..
Billy V is definitely one of the best. Another guy that kills it is Jim Trelikes.

JT, mr Marble to me hes the best out there :dude: Sandbar you remind me of someone ,you build rods and like cats hmmm what is your name?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Mr Trelikes has a huge following on the West coast. He does some amazing work!
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”