rods and reels and line combos for a tourist

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
KeiranHn
Fisher

rods and reels and line combos for a tourist

Post by KeiranHn »

Hi all

Landing in Florida on 22nd June, here for two weeks and despite being designated driver for the family, aim to get a little fishing done.
Originally intended to buy rod reel and gear in Florida but have a big luggage allowance going to waste, so thought I might bring some gear with me.

For freshwater, was thinking of a telescopic rod, extends to 8 foot, normally match it to a 2500 reel holding 15 lb mono. Lands pike here.
Quite a soft and forgiving action, not the kind of rod that allows you bully a fish. Will that do the job for me in most freshwater fishing from the shore?

Expect to spend a week in Orlando, hanging upside down and all that... Second week aim is to travel from Datona or Kennedy down the ICW stopping along the way, possibly around Jupiter (?) before hitting Miami for and then heading out to the Keys. Last leg will be to hook back to the Everglades and finally fly out of Orlando.

For saltwater, have a Greys 10 foot spinning rod, stronger, stiffer action, normally match it to a 3500 reel holding around 200 yards of 30 lb braid. Can bully fish (we have species here called ballen wrasse that look a bit like tripletails but behave like groupers). Not concerned for its structural integrity, but is line capacity ok?

Been watching and reading and see how I need to buy far stronger flouro leader/biting traces, just wondering do you use wire biting traces much?

With thanks in advance for any help.
Have two teenage boys so will probably be dropping money in tackle shops and bait shops...
All recommendations and suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Kieran

PS: best wishes to all the people in the panhandle, we get storms here pretty bad in the winter but nothing like that. Stay safe.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: rods and reels and line combos for a tourist

Post by krash »

Yes, and yes..

No leader needed on the mono for fresh.
Salty, just pick up some 25-40# fluro. Metal may be needed is say you target mackeral or sharks from a beach or pier, all others just use fluro on the braid.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

CELLFISH
Weekend Warrior

Re: rods and reels and line combos for a tourist

Post by CELLFISH »

JUNE 22 is my birthday, talk bout early prep, nice.., JUNE is hot on the beaches midday,
i use a 5 foot 2 piece ugly stick w/ matching reel, #6 test mono, good enough for most fresh water,
on standby aside from my better set ups, also have a 2 piece 10 foot, ugly stick salty rod, matching reel with #20 mono, $80.00 on line, good for most beach sand fishing. thats about it,
good luck... cellfish,
:reeling:
... sand under my bare feet is better than subway steps with steel toe boots on ...

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”