Spearfishing Equipment Guide

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
fishinDave07
Old Salt

Spearfishing Equipment Guide

Post by fishinDave07 »

I will be talking about different types of equipment for different needs. This way, those that want to take part in the sport of spearfishing do not make the mistake of purchasing a piece of equipment that isn't necessary in a specific situation.

I Freedive spearfish and will be listing some of the essentials needed. I'm sure that a few of you scuba dive, so feel free to add on.

Mask: Obviously very important. Most tend to buy low-volume masks with a black skirt so that light doesn’t penetrate your field of vision. These masks significantly reduce glare. Here is an example:

Snorkel:
In my opinion, a snorkel is a snorkel but I have heard that the ZOOM snorkel from Omer has one of the best mouthpieces and is made of a high quality, yet flexible plastic.

Fins: How do you get to the bottom quickly? You need long fins. Fins come in different stiffness’. Cressi Gara 2000’s are stiffer than the Gara 3000’s. There are also Carbon fins that are extremely durable. Normally Closed foot pocket fins are used by freedivers and open foot pocket fins are used by scuba.

Speargun: There are some big, bad guns out there. But I’m going to talk about “affordable” guns.

Spearguns fall into two main categories: Band Guns and pneumatics. There are also the most basic spearfishing weapons such as polespears and Hawaiian slings.

Band guns
can be described as “a gun that converts potential energy to kinetic energy trough the use of tension.” The bottom line is that the actual spear has notches on its surface where the metal wishbone of the band gets pulled back to. Some “affordable” Brands are A.B. Biller, Sea Hornet, JBL.

Pneumatic Guns rely on compressed air for propulsion. The expanded gas is kept and can be re-compressed underwater. Some Examples of pneumatic guns are Cressi-Sub, Omer, Mares.

Pole Spears
go way back and like I mentioned are the most basic spearfishing weapon. They function like a billiard cue with a rubber band attached at the base. The band gets placed in between your thumb and forefinger and you stretch your arm close to the tip of the spear and when you see the fish…well, you know what comes next.

Hawaiian Slings are similar to pole spears in that they are basic in design. A Hawaiian sling is like a sling shot, when the fisherman carries a small tube with a band at the end. The band has a cup at the end where the spear butt fits and gets pulled back.

Note: Pole Spears and Hawaiian slings are a great way to get into the sport and are the only weapon that you can use in the Bahamas and other Caribbean islands.

DiveFlag – A diveflag is VITAL AND REQUIRED when diving. It tells boaters that they have to stay at a minimum of a 300 ft radius away. I have had close calls myself in Miami where jetskiers think that a diveflag is a speed bump. ALWAYS have a flag.

Knife
– You can never go wrong with a knife. Most dive knives have a line cutter incase you get tangled. Knives are also used to dispatch fish.

Wetsuit/Rashguard/Diveskin – It does get a little chilly here in winter so a wetsuit around 3-5mm won’t hurt.

Rashguards are shirts and/or shorts made out of lycra, a brand name of spandex. They fit snug to the body and WILL attract beach views gaze ;).

Diveskins are full body rashguards.

Not only do Rashguards and dive skins look stylish but they protect against UV rays and jellyfish.

I just threw together some basics, I am sure that I’m missing a few things so I will amend the list as needed.

Dave
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Excellent
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

after reading this i dont think that there is going to be any questions for awhile. nice!

outofair
Weekend Warrior

Good info

Post by outofair »

Nice job with the information! What size gun do you prefer to use when diving from the beach to the reef?

And do you freeshaft or line shaft?

mackboi0127
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mackboi0127 »

how much is a normal gun

outofair
Weekend Warrior

Post by outofair »

mackboi0127 wrote:how much is a normal gun
I would say you could get a cheap JBL for under $200. Riffe might be the next step up in the $200 and up range. Although I do own two spear guns, I have shot all my fish using a Hawaiian sling. These run about $30 for the sling and another 30 for a decent shaft.

Maybe Dave or another spearo who uses a gun will chime in.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Wow, great stuff !!

A+
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

Hey guys, i've been out of town (check the reports section :wink: ).

Outofair: I have an A.B. Biller 42 special. From what i hear guns around 42 are the preferred minimum for reef hunting. Bluewater guns for hunting pelagics are 60+. If i were to buy a gun all over again i'd get something versatile between 48-54 and with a mid-handle for manuverability.

Mackboi0127: It depends how much you're willing to drop. try to meet up with someone and try it out to see if you like it. Riffe's are nice but are EXPENSIVE. Something like a sea hornet, Biller, Cressi-sub is a good starter gun. check out websites such as floridafreedivers.com, diversdirect.com, leisurepro.com
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”