Speargun in the Keys?

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Speargun in the Keys?

Post by Kizer »

Can I use a speargun in the Keys? Also does anyone know which bridges do not allow hook and line fishing? My understanding is that these ones can be speared close to.
Kizer

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Re: Speargun in the Keys?

Post by fishinDave07 »

From FWC:

You May NOT Spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging):

-- Effective July 1, 2001, Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possesion of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.

-- Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
-- Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea--except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.

-- In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line. (Pretty much you cant spear from Key Largo to Long Key, UNLESS you are in International Waters, 3 miles east.)

-- For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law.

-- In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.) Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other fishermen in the state are required to follow.

Bridges are very dangerous because of boat traffic and the fact that you would have to swim 100 yds towards the center of them to be out of "range"
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Most of the reefs are out 4-5 miles east of Key Largo, right? So that would fall under federal regs, right?
Kizer

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

well, you have to look out for "Marine Preserves" which is most of largo. Pennycamp is definately off limits with a number of other reefs. Check out divespots.com and when you select a reef it will tell you if its a "Marine Preserve/Sanctuary" If it isnt or doesnt say anything, then you can spear.
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

So...can I use a speargun instead of a pole out of marathon? I am a little confused. I know I can use whatever in federal waters, but what about South of Long Key. Pole only?
Kizer

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

You can use a Speargun/pole spear/hawaiian sling/etc. if you are south of long key and follow the normal regs (i.e. 100 yards away from shore/fishing bridge/etc).

I think what is confusing you is that some places in the caribbean such as the bahamas and bermuda i think ONLY allow you to pole spear and hawaiian sling.
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”