Saltwater Flyfishing South Florida Beaches

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
Aventura
Fisher

Saltwater Flyfishing South Florida Beaches

Post by Aventura »

I just got back into saltwater fly fishing. I tried messing around with my 9 weight on the beach across from Aventura the other day. A group of guys going surf fishing passed by and showed me a plastic grocery bag full of mole crabs. I'm sure they work, but I would rather try to catch tarpon, snook, jack or anything else on a fly. I had fun casting a little streamer in the surf , but I would like to know where to go, what time of year and time of day. If someone can PM me that would be cool. Any info is appreciated.

bsfl
Fisher

Re: Saltwater Flyfishing South Florida Beaches

Post by bsfl »

Summer months you can look for snook along the beach, throw an ep minnow or a dt special, etc. During Sept, Oct, Nov the mullet run occurs and look for fish pushing mullet schools close to the beach and you can catch snook, jacks, ladyfish, blues throw an ep mullet or wool head mullet, a fly that pushes water. There are lots of places to wade down in Biscayne bay or the beaches off key biscayne, google earth is your friend, where you can catch bonefish and other mangrove/flats species. Use a pink winged gotcha or simram type fly off key biscayne and a crabbier kwan style fly for BB wading :patriot:

Aventura
Fisher

Post by Aventura »

bsfl wrote:Summer months you can look for snook along the beach, throw an ep minnow or a dt special, etc. During Sept, Oct, Nov the mullet run occurs and look for fish pushing mullet schools close to the beach and you can catch snook, jacks, ladyfish, blues throw an ep mullet or wool head mullet, a fly that pushes water. There are lots of places to wade down in Biscayne bay or the beaches off key biscayne, google earth is your friend, where you can catch bonefish and other mangrove/flats species. Use a pink winged gotcha or simram type fly off key biscayne and a crabbier kwan style fly for BB wading :patriot:
Cool. Thanks.

richf9
Fisher

Post by richf9 »

bsfl wrote:Summer months you can look for snook along the beach, throw an ep minnow or a dt special, etc. During Sept, Oct, Nov the mullet run occurs and look for fish pushing mullet schools close to the beach and you can catch snook, jacks, ladyfish, blues throw an ep mullet or wool head mullet, a fly that pushes water. There are lots of places to wade down in Biscayne bay or the beaches off key biscayne, google earth is your friend, where you can catch bonefish and other mangrove/flats species. Use a pink winged gotcha or simram type fly off key biscayne and a crabbier kwan style fly for BB wading :patriot:
Im new to this site. Any updates for snook fishing in the Ft. Lauderdale beach area. Gonna give it a go tomorrow. Ill try some of the fly suggestions you mentioned here and provide an update.

Therapy
Fisher

Post by Therapy »

im new this site but do have a fair amount of success fly fishing for snook on the beach during the summer. I fished last weekend at sunrise but did see any bait. when the bait shows up is when the consistent action picks up. most of my success is around high tide as the sun comes up. cast parallel to the shore, the fish like to traverse inside the trough. good luck,

-jimbo

Aventura
Fisher

Post by Aventura »

Therapy wrote:im new this site but do have a fair amount of success fly fishing for snook on the beach during the summer. I fished last weekend at sunrise but did see any bait. when the bait shows up is when the consistent action picks up. most of my success is around high tide as the sun comes up. cast parallel to the shore, the fish like to traverse inside the trough. good luck,

-jimbo
That is encouraging. I need to get off my lazy ass and give it a shot. Is Sunrise the only place you have tried? Are you blind casting or sight fishing?

Therapy
Fisher

Post by Therapy »

what i meant is that i like to get to any beach at sunrise during high tide. good luck.

Aventura
Fisher

Post by Aventura »

I fished incoming high tide, at sunrise, at Dania beach this week. The wind was dead, but there were some little swells rolling through. The combination of the swells + the glare from the rising sun made it impossible to spot fish. I resorted to following a group of pilchards around, but didn't really see any predators chasing them and didn't catch anything with my blind casts in and around the baits. Out going may have been a little better, but I thing the lack of visibility was a big factor.

I have been having fun going down to the beach in the later afternoon. There are swarms of jacks to the point where I caught 7 one afternoon and it started to get annoying. Similar story with small cudas. I was about to give up on snook...until a couple cruised by me about 2 feet from shore. They were small males, 14-20 inches, but it was good to atleast know here they are. Every time I go down there I learn a little more about how its done.

Even with really good polarized lenses, it is really tough to spot the snook through the crashing waves and the chop. From now on, unless the wind is close to 0mph and the ocean is like a lake I'm just going to bring my spinning setup and look for bait getting busted and scout for places to fly fish. I will land a snook on fly though. That is my mission before the summer is out!

Aventura
Fisher

Post by Aventura »

Finally had a snook swallow my fly at the beach. Woo hoo! Thanks for the advice.

Yesterday afternoon I spotted a shadow moving toward me as I walked Golden Beach. A tourist was walking past me and probably though I was crazy, since I was stalking the shadow like a leopard. I finally got a close look at it and it was definitely a snook. It was a small male, maybe 4-5 lbs. I back peddled about 30 ft and layed my grey and white clouser about 10 ft from shore in the snooks path. I didn't get a strike on the first pass so I casted again and on the second strip...bam! I have caught little snook in the New River and huge snook in the port, but I have never seen a snook jump like this. As soon as I hooked him he was in the air shaking his head. He jumped twice and on the second leap he shook the fly out. I was so pumped I high fived (Normaly not a fan of high fiving) the random tourist who was standing there amazed that there were fish so close to the beach. I didn't land him, but I now atleast have the confidence that what I am trying to do is still hard, but not impossible. I followed Norm Zeigler's advice and put my time in. Its sort of like bone fishing. Just as frustrating and technical, but fun as hell when you pull it off.What is awesome is that the snook you see are 1-3 feet from shore and they range from a few pounds to 20+.

Last night, after a couple of weeks of going to Newport beach, Sunny Isles beach and Golden beach, I was politely informed by beach patrol that Dade county has an ordinance banning fishing from the beach. This sucks since the water in Dania and Ft. Lauderdale tends to be darker from the outflow of Port Everglades. So the only option is to fish darker water or drive further. Could be worse!

Return to “FlyFishing Help”