Fly Rod for under $200

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
mcond
Fisher

Fly Rod for under $200

Post by mcond »

I was able to put aside two hundred and change for a small #5, #6 or #7 rod. I'm really leaning toward a #6 since I might do some trout fishing up north sometime. However, I've also found a nice micro-tarpon (I say micro but I've hooked up to some decent sized tarpon) spot which makes my #9 feel like a wench at times. I went to my local fly shop (which I trust) and was told that a redington pursuit #6 rod reel combo is exactly what I need. Anybody had any experience with this set up? Maybe point me in a better direction based on their experiences?
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

tommyking
Fisher

Re: Fly Rod for under $200

Post by tommyking »

Check out TFO. Great rod for the money!! Can't beat the life time warranty!!
DILLIGAF

johnzabeasts
Fisher

Post by johnzabeasts »

I have the redington pursuit rod and reel combo 4 piece 8 weight. It's my first fly rod and my only one at the moment so I don't really have much to compare to. But in my opinion, the thing is great, cast pretty good, the drag will get the job done and it's not fragile either. Comes with fly line, backing and a rod/reel tube, not bad for $170. I'm still new to the whole fly fishing thing but thanks to this combo, I only pick up a spinning reel if I really really have to. I wish I had more experience so I could tell you more about it but that's all I can really say, I'd definitely recommend it nonetheless. Oh and for what it's worth, I had someone who was a very experienced fly fisherman (older gentleman) throw my rod for a little bit and his first impression was "Wow, this thing has a lot more power than I thought!"

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Go to your local fly shop and looked at used ones I got a real nice orvis dirt cheap. Cant beat orvis warranty
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Edd
Fisher

Post by Edd »

I used to fly fish trout in NY. I use to work for Orvis pt. I also worked at Ramsey Outdoors. I would go through a lot of Redington Rods. For the money they were a good hit. For most trout fishing up north you can use a 5wt. I used anything from a 1 to 6 wt., depending.
Hope that helps.
Edd

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

I just got a Sage Vantage for $210 shipped. Comes with a nice rod tube and lifetime warranty.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

mcond
Fisher

Post by mcond »

How good is Sage's warranty? Anywhere near as good as TFO?
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

tommyking
Fisher

Post by tommyking »

I'm telling you for the money you can't go wrong with TFO. You break it no matter what.step on it and break it or your dog chews it up. You send it back to TFO with 25 buck and you get a new one no mater how many times you send it in. sage,Gloomis and orvis has great warrantys but only if the rod has a defect.trust me bro.Now Gloomis dose offer a one time wild card so if you break your rod they replace it one time for free. Orvis only gives you a twenty five year warranty on there fly rods.
DILLIGAF

ironman172
Fisher

Post by ironman172 »

TFO for the money, would be my choice also :reeling: ...not under your 200.00 but not that much more either

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Usually TFO has sales around this time... My buddy got a 9 wt for under 200 bucks last year at Bass Pro... I LOVE my 9wt, LOVE IT!

-swordfish

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

mcond wrote:How good is Sage's warranty? Anywhere near as good as TFO?
Lifetime as well. American made too, if that makes a difference to you. FWIW I like my Sage more than my TFO. It is light, shoots amazing, and the case it came with is great for travel. TFO was a bit cheaper though.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

jhook
Fisher

Post by jhook »

The TFO Professional series are excellent rods and in your range. The medium fast action is a plus for beginners. I have a 5wt 8'6" I take up to WNC for trout and a 8wt 9' I use for freshwater down hear. I have broken a couple other TFO rods and the guarantee has been great both times.

Return to “FlyFishing Help”