Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by snakehead terror »

You have never thrown a living fish in a cooler before? Please :roll: . BTW this is a reports only thread so keep the tree hugging elsewhere.
BEAST
snapperkiller

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

snapperkiller wrote:You have never thrown a living fish in a cooler before? Please :roll: . BTW this is a reports only thread so keep the tree hugging elsewhere.
Yeah I've hurt alot of fish, but never tortured any or left them to die for waste. Btw, I must've missed your report.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

BEOWULF wrote:
snapperkiller wrote:You have never thrown a living fish in a cooler before? Please :roll: . BTW this is a reports only thread so keep the tree hugging elsewhere.
Yeah I've hurt alot of fish, but never tortured any or left them to die for waste. Btw, I must've missed your report.
since when is filleting fish torture. and once again if he filleted it im sure he ate it so it wasnt a waste

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

fishandchicks wrote:since when is filleting fish torture. and once again if he filleted it im sure he ate it so it wasnt a waste
When it's done to a freshly caught live fish. Hard to believe anyone would defend this.

I'm no "tree hugger" by any stretch, but you have to draw the line somewhere as a civilized hunter/sportsman and as a man with intellect and morals... as opposed to a simple mindless beast in the proverbial jungle, blindly concerned only about filling its belly.

pufferfish
Fisher

Post by pufferfish »

BEOWULF wrote:
fishandchicks wrote:since when is filleting fish torture. and once again if he filleted it im sure he ate it so it wasnt a waste
When it's done to a freshly caught live fish. Hard to believe anyone would defend this.

I'm no "tree hugger" by any stretch, but you have to draw the line somewhere as a civilized hunter/sportsman and as a man with intellect and morals... as opposed to a simple mindless beast in the proverbial jungle, blindly concerned only about filling its belly.
Well what if it's a fish you'd like to eat say a mackerel and you want to bleed it out as soon as you catch it?

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

GET THIS OFF THE REPORTS THREAD. WE HAVE A PIER CHATTER BOX FOR A REASON.
BEAST
snapperkiller

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

BEOWULF wrote:

I don't mean to toss a New England opinion into the matter - however, dispatching a fish immediately is considered the most humane manner of dealing with a fish that is intended for the table...not everone adheres to it and in fact, in regards to striped bass, you're not allowed to fillet the fish while still at water's edge. But the point is, filleting a fish is one way of ensuring 1) the fish is dispatched quickly and doesn't suffer and 2) The fish doesn't sit around and lose some edibility value (the faster you clean your fish, the longer it will stay fresh).

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

I put my fish in a nice relaxing ice bath to help it soothe its stressful ordeal. :D
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

bolo wrote:
I put my fish in a nice relaxing ice bath to help it soothe its stressful ordeal. :D
:stupid: Icing a fish helps it's edibility.

As the body detects the temperature drop, blood is recaled from nonessential areas of the body to the vital organs in an attempt to survive. This is why your extremeties get frostbite - Lack of blood....

No blood in the meat is always a plus...
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

regulator70
Seasoned Fisher

Post by regulator70 »

when im going to keep a fish...i dnt let it suffer. i give it a quick back hand to knock it cold then i put it on ice.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

regulator70 wrote:i give it a quick back hand to knock it cold then i put it on ice.
Hey we are talking about fish not your girlfriend. :mrgreen:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

Ever hear of a Billy Bat?

That's right, you smash the fish's friggin' brains, then onto ice he goes.
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

gotants? wrote:Ever hear of a Billy Bat?

That's right, you smash the fish's friggin' brains, then onto ice he goes.

I have seen the planks do as good a job...lol BUT those Billy Bats are really helpful when trying to get a squirming king into a fishbag while balancing on a yak in rolling waves....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

REEL CAST
Seasoned Fisher

Post by REEL CAST »

Thanks for the report. :mrgreen:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

That pier is a summerbait magnet. Nice report thanks for the info !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Thanks for the report. Summer is the best time to hit pompano for sure.
BEAST
snapperkiller

StyngRay
KING MACKEREL

Post by StyngRay »

WTG!
Plain And Simple, Life's A Beach!
ABCDEDBD FISHYS?

bubbafishin
Weekend Warrior

Post by bubbafishin »

I didn't go fishing today but was at the beach by the pier. My friend and i were swimming maybe 20 ft. from shore when a monster jack crevalle came along and it was not shy at all. This fish swam around us a few times and even swam into my friends leg. My friend is a girl and she was flippning out and screaming and i was trying to say its not dangerous, hold still, it was really funny. Then it swam off. Jacks are probably one of my favorite fish to catch hopefully one of you guys at Pompano get hooked up to it. I think I might be making a trip there soon.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Went today from 7:30 AM until about 1:30 PM with my friend Ben (forum member) and my other friend Cross (he's 12, and his first time on the pier) just to get out of the house. Me and Cross showed up first. Within two minutes of walking on the pier I had pulled out my gaff and gaffed some guy's bonita. I said to Cross it'd be a good day.

Bait was easy to get and Ben showed up. From then to about 9:30 AM bonitas came by in packs of about 30. I hooked up, Ben hooked up, Cross hooked up and so did a few other people. I gaffed quite a few bonitas for a number of people. Ben even used his Cabo 20 with 10# test/30# leader and caught a bonita on a crappie jig, and landed it - after it wrapped him around a piling.

Ben:

Me:

Cross:

I think the totals was me getting 2, Cross got 2 and Ben got 4 or 5. I could have caught more but I was having fun gaffing everyone else's bonitas. One guy's cheapo reel was smoking because his bonita was taking line off so quick :lol:

Left around noon after just messing around a little bit since the bite slowed up. Fun time, but I think it was just a fluke incident since I was talking with a regular there and he said the fishing is never like it was today. Couldn't have been worse than last time I was at a pier, which was when a pelican stole my spheros :lol:

It was so nice fishing without TROLLEY RIGS EVERYWHERE! :auto:

:toast:

BTW, I think FWC needs to make a limit on the number of blue runners you can keep. I won't go into details, but certain people had buckets and buckets and coolers and more buckets full of them. :roll: Anyone have any comments?

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Thinking of whether or not to go tomorrow... I think I'll just leave the good day at that and not push my luck :lol:

bbegovic1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bbegovic1 »

That was fun. :toast:

All the Bonitas but one I caught on the Cabo 20 (10lb/crappie/pompano jig) and the other was on a freeline pilchard. At one point there were about 5-6 people hooked at once with only one gaff on the entire pier. :cyclopsani:

I even ended up getting a small cero. Looking to get out after the tropical wave goes over maybe Monday or Tuesday.

Till then...... :toast: :reeling:

Ben

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

That was funny, when there was the quadruple header or 6-header whatever it was, I was the team leader with the gaff :lol: Ben you got 10# test go that way, you with the black hat go under him, hey you go over his rod twice, back out of the way kid, you there tighten your drag a little, Cross duck and keep reeling, okay red shirt you're ready for the gaff? :lol: :lol:

I probably should have put a line in the water but then there would have been no free hands to gaff anything!

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Nice report. Good time for the kid being his first time on the pier...

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Thanks for the first good pompano report in who knows how long :toast:
BEAST
snapperkiller

malibuminix
Old Salt

Post by malibuminix »

The blue runner situation is the same at any pier in south FL.I fish at Dania pier and most of the people are CRAZY for them.They catching them some times 2-at the time and when they leave the coolers and buckets are full of them.Blue runner must be very tasty.I think we should name them the Mini-Snook.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

snapperkiller wrote:Thanks for the first good pompano report in who knows how long :toast:
Well, according to a regular, it was the first fish in who knows how long :lol:
malibuminix wrote:The blue runner situation is the same at any pier in south FL.I fish at Dania pier and most of the people are CRAZY for them.They catching them some times 2-at the time and when they leave the coolers and buckets are full of them.Blue runner must be very tasty.I think we should name them the Mini-Snook.
They were catching them 5 at a time. The blue runners really do need a bag limit. I was catching some for fun when the action got slow and I got yelled at when I threw them back :shock:

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Dudes, speaking for myself, and only myself, when I'm up at The Pomp, if nothing else is going on, I'll take maybe a dozen blue runners home to put in the freezer. The reason is, I have two English Bulldogs and I have them on a raw diet. Fish is one of their main raw meat menu items, and blue runner is a special favorite for them. So, it's not like I'm hoggin' them, or makin' some kinda fish stew, which some people are prone to do. And I'm not just takin' 'em because I can, either. In fact, I met one kid on the pier that was a chef in a sushi restaurant, and he brought a cleaver with him. He'd catch a runner, cut out the top of the fillet, above the lateral line, and he said that's what a lot of people in his restaurant are eating. It was all good meat and he could cut like a surgeon with that cleaver. He gave me a hit and it was good. :chef:
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

deigh

Post by deigh »

Fished the pier from 9:00 am to approximately 3:00 pm. One yellowtail, plenty of blue runners. Huge tarpon around all day. Had a 9 inch blue runner stolen by a 4ft kingfish right as I started to lift it out of the water. Took the entire chicken rig and 2 oz sinker as well. I re-grouped with a tuna hook and a s/s cable leader with a 2 oz egg sinker just to be ready for the next thief and hooked into something really large which swallowed a 10 inch blue runner bait rigged throught the tail to swim. I chased it up to the end of the pier and watched helplessly as it bent some 30 lb tackle double and stripped off about 250 yrds of line. As the fish headed to Bimini, it passed over the reef and the line went slack. Oh well..... I think I'll bring some monster gear later this week and spool it up with something braided that can take a little abuse from the reef.

Tight Lines!
Deigh :ying:

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

deigh wrote:Fished the pier from 9:00 am to approximately 3:00 pm. One yellowtail, plenty of blue runners. Huge tarpon around all day. Had a 9 inch blue runner stolen by a 4ft kingfish right as I started to lift it out of the water. Took the entire chicken rig and 2 oz sinker as well. I re-grouped with a tuna hook and a s/s cable leader with a 2 oz egg sinker just to be ready for the next thief and hooked into something really large which swallowed a 10 inch blue runner bait rigged throught the tail to swim. I chased it up to the end of the pier and watched helplessly as it bent some 30 lb tackle double and stripped off about 250 yrds of line. As the fish headed to Bimini, it passed over the reef and the line went slack. Oh well..... I think I'll bring some monster gear later this week and spool it up with something braided that can take a little abuse from the reef.

Tight Lines!
Deigh :ying:
I will bet that that was a cuda. And braid can't take abuse from the reef at all
BEAST
snapperkiller

bubbafishin
Weekend Warrior

Post by bubbafishin »

Good report, too bad you lost that big fish, and if you're concerned about the reef definately don't go with braid its more $ and ur more likely to get frayed off on structure

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”