Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
joshfishingkid
Weekend Warrior

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-2010

Post by joshfishingkid »

heading out to the pier gonna try to cast net some mullet if cant gonna get some pin fish and try for thoes reds and snook wish me luck
Owener of Marsh Works of Floida

http://marshworksofflorida.com/

jmwands
Fisher

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

Post by jmwands »

Quick update, high tide last night at jp and lots of finger mullet, not a lot of action on them, caught a lookdown and a snapper on shrimp, might head back out tonight,,,

Jm

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the report!!!

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Solid night man. 8)

PeirRat1985
Weekend Warrior

Post by PeirRat1985 »

What pier has bull reds running this year?

yy007
Fisher

Post by yy007 »

I like your report, Tuna, even though I am a partial local. I am partically interested in fishing for Ribbon as I have not ever caught it before. Can it be caught during the day?

PeirRat1985
Weekend Warrior

Post by PeirRat1985 »

Whats the point of catching Ribbon fish. I would love to know where I can catch big bull reds from a pier?

PeirRat1985
Weekend Warrior

Post by PeirRat1985 »

I know ribbons are used for I thought they where eating them or something. Also I was looking for a specific pier to catch bull reds. I know Sebastian inlet you catch bull reds but thats about it.

yy007
Fisher

Post by yy007 »

Ribbons used to be one of the most delicious fishes among only fews available when I was a kid. Many of us still buy them from Orintal market in US after moving here even though the taste is not quite as good for some reason. The first time I saw Ribbons swimming in ocean was in TX but I did not believe what I was seeing. I have been fishing here in FL for more than 15 years but I have never seen them swimming in FL water not mentioned catching them.
As for bullred, I have caught them often in FL, TX, NC even I don't always target them. I don't eat them even when they are young in slot. It is still fun though if I happen to hook them. I accidentally hooked a bull about 4 months ago when I was fishing for Flounder with live shrimp on a small hook right under Jetty Park Pier. I fought him for about 10 minutes but could not muscle him in. Here came a bigger young guy who could not stand seeing my struggle, took over my rod and pulled the hood out of that bull. I could not do anything but thank him for giving my hook (tackels) back. Without his help, that bullred could have taken my hook, weight and line perhaps my rod to LaLa Land.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

Gio
Fisher

Post by Gio »

Hi Jetty.
I wonder if I ever saw you in action at the pier?
I am going to try to learn some tricks from you here, if you don`t mind. 8)
My fishing time is kind of limited by my lovely little wife, so I fish on Sundays usually.
Some time there are few of us dego, wop, gineis up there B S...ng and scaring all the fishes.
Ciao for now.
Gio.

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Hi guys, I'm looking to catch some fresh bait for the yankeecapts trip this weekend, and Jetty park is closest to me. I'm wondering if anyone whose been there recently can let me know what the situation is like for baitfish?
thanks in advance!

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

jettypark28 wrote:Don't bother going to Jettypark for bait... There are Two sets of boat ramps, the main one
is by the baitshops... and there's one back by the draw bridge its only one ramp but you
can catch bait at either of these boat ramps..

You can use a castnet or bring a small setup (tiny hook) small pieces of shrimp and cast it
right next to the ramp (not out, but right under)

I load up on pinfish/pigfish/spots and other baitfish... also if its slow by the ramp at the
drawbridge just go and cast right next to the pilings under the bridge,
if there are a few of you.... you can load up pretty quick..
remember to bring a airpump to keep them alive for the trip...

good luck.... :toast:
Thanks a TON for the advice - I'll try to find the ramps you talk about. I'll be by myself, but will fish for prolly 5 hours, so I hope it will be enough to load up. I'm going to use em dead - too hard to keep them alive for 3 days.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Pinfish and pigfish fresh dead work well down there at times. Also load up on some ladyfish, mackeral, bluefish, and hand size jacks and runners. Pick up some fresh ballyhoo on your way to the boat and you are set. The hot baits have been ballyhoo and mackeral down there this year. Best of luck. Do a search on the forum I posted a huge indepth how to article on tactics and such for Tugas trips on this site
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Excellent, I've been trying to get some ladyfish and blue runners, but haven't really figured out a good spot yet, so will probably rely on some pinfish and whatever else I can scrounge up. I'll dig up that post you mentioned and definitely read up, thanks! :thumleft:

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Live shrimp on jigheads or plastic shrimp at night around lit docks or bridges should produce ladyfish for you. They don't really freeze well. Chunk big ones or butterfly small ones grouper and big muttons love them as they are oily
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Thanks Jettypark, I just got back from a few hours fishing by the drawbridge as you suggested. There were only 2 inch-long pigfish by the baitshops, but I was able to catch 10 decent pinfish + 1 HUGE pinfish(got away when I was changing the water :x ) as well as 10 tiny jacks, around 4-5 inches long. I only fished from 10-1, the bite picked up around 11, and I ran out of shrimp. Hope those will hold me over til I catch a king.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Grab a few dozen frssh ballyhoo on the way down and you are fine on bait. Bring a few kingfish jigs and a few large google eye sabikis and you are set

Cannible
Weekend Warrior

Post by Cannible »

Catch a king fish where an how in jetty park?

Gio
Fisher

Post by Gio »

Went to the port today...
F....ng windy. Just got a couple of blue fish. But some old salt resident was cleaning sheep-heads, I think he was there early, I did not get a bite on my fiddlers crab.. actually a got a bite and a pulled up one of the biggest pin fish I ever so!
No flounders ether.. just lots of wind.
Was fun to be out there anyways...
I got a fishing cart on Craig list and.... it worked great!
Now I can carry my beer in the cooler ! :biglaugh:

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

should be some flats around the bridge. looks fishy for them but i never tried it yet. honestly i never fished for flounder. manly mangrove snappers until i picked up on game species.

Cannible
Weekend Warrior

Post by Cannible »

Thank you for answering my question guys.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”