2009 Mullet Run and Fall Run "Make your Predictions"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: 2009 Mullet Run and Fall Run "Make your Predictions"

Post by Bluefish in ny »

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=892476

I think who ever said Sept 14th will be the winner... If it is "official" there... can't see it taking a few days for mullet to swim 100 miles.. Am I wrong? I mean they don't stop at a local bar on the way down for a few beers.. they are moving!!! And at pretty good speeds?
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

A few little pods of finger mullet (5 to 20) are traveling around Boca. Nothing major. Lots of big mullet around though. Looks like the fingers are starting to trickle in. The huge push can't be too far behind.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Its getting close
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

3 confirmed schools sighted today by the Bluefishinny.... Not large, maybe 200 to 300.... Picked up 4 out of 7 snook in the surf today.... All on black/silver DOA Baitbuster, and 4" Storm Shads.... All under slot, missed one definately over. The bigger fish hit me just as I saw the first school of mullet go by.... And it hit the Baitbuster...
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

I was at Juno on 9-11 from sun-up through 3PM. There was a minor school of Mullett running through the surf maybe 40-50 yards in diamater at about 11am. Allot of bait there this weekend, pilchards some big, sardines, dorks and the mullett running the beach.

one more cast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by one more cast »

Weather man suggests some North wind is due his week........

jayfrizzo
Weekend Warrior

Post by jayfrizzo »

I surfed up in Stuart this w/e and there was a TON of bait in the water. Waves too big to fish with my light stuff, and really the waves were too good to pass up surfing, but wow, was there bait everywhere.

Very scattered, zero solid schools, but it was everywhere. Some of the bait seemed big, 10" maybe.

Saw probably 8-10 tarpon jump while sitting in the lineup. Mother-in-law saw a shark cruise through. It was nuts. Definitely felt sketchy out there but man, what a good weekend for surfing.

Today an Osprey bombed something about 40 feet from me. Couldn't tell what, but it looked bigger than a mullet, 16", maybe 18" or so. Ladyfish? Spanish? Hard to tell. Seemed like the bird had trouble flying away with it.

Man I hope stuff lasts until next weekend up there.

J-

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

I think It will Jay
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I'm sticking with my dates I've been right for a couple years now.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Repost in the right area. - Didn't see it with my own eyes, but a buddy who lives off the beach around Boynton says there was a 100 yard school moving down the beach. Not hard to believe with all the mullet I saw in the PB inlet this weekend.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

james380 wrote:Didn't see it with my own eyes, but a buddy who lives off the beach around Boynton says there was a 100 yard school moving down the beach.
:shock:

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

saw PLENTY on Boynton beach yesterday... maybe not football field size, but enough

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Well, I could be wrong, but today I could have sworn I felt a NE breeze... Its a coming boys, she will be here soon... Cant wait, my rod has been in service for about a month (just a cleaning, its been 2 years of no cleaning it so it was time) the cabo 40 is still going very strong vs 40-70 lbs tarpon runnin on 10 lbs test line. When it happens I want one of those NASTY NASTY mornings to go hang out with Mr Boatless, its been a while my friend, Ill see you soon bro... I miss having snakes chew thru my 6" storm lures, haha even have some still, one bite, new bait, no fish.

-sword :reeling:

SaltLife27
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SaltLife27 »

Saw the first 2 small schools of Mullet this season come through Pompano Pier this morning. Its coming very very soon. Im predicting Sep. 24th

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Mullet Sept 20th Fall run Sept 28th.
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

sharkinkoz
Fisher

Post by sharkinkoz »

Sunday afternoon on deerfield beach just before the rain. 50 yard school followed by another small one

Spear'em!
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Spear'em! »

So what is the difference in the runs if you don't mind me asking? The mullet run vs the fall run? they being less than 2 weeks apart?
Do you mean the drove of sh!!t fish that follow the first push??? IE - mackerel, Bluefish, and ladyfish??? Damn bait wasters!!!!
I've fished the run since I was a kid. In fact the a few snook have died already! A few small schools of finger are around.
Up the coast during the last swell(last weekend) we were chased out of the water south of fort Pierce by sharks attacking the schools. It was full on lay on your board with your feet up and hope a set came thru..
Its always hard to pick day in my book. At least for us anglers here in dade county. They can be solid 50 miles to the north but if we don't get some weather they can get stuck up there. We need a good tropical storm(if one comes close look out) or a good Front to get them all the way down.
A few years(maybe 10) back the run was really late. We didn't get any weather and mullet got stuck. By the end of October most of my buddies had given. Well the first good front rolled thru on the 8th of november they moved south and I was the only one standing on the beach. The mullet came thru and the extra extra hungry snook and tarpon were waiting!!! If you fished deep and close to shore the PITA tarpon weren't a problem. I had three days of non-stop snook action to myself. All be it quite freezing. It didn't last long that year as the weather pushed the bait thru fast. The schools were heading south so fast the snook and tarpon didn't even bother following the large schools but just waited for the next one to pass by.
Last week the snook were so solid we were catching them almost what fingers we could find. For a few days it didn't even matter. Ever lure from terror eyes, swim baits and whatever small plug you had in the box. You could almost pick out the snook you wanted to catch. That lasted for about to days. Then it was time to work hard and watch wolf packs swim around but not eat. Now the last 3 days they are gone. Thats snook fishing. If your not there the day they bite its usually too late! If you don't check your spots everyday this time of year you can miss some insane fishing!

Lots of sleep will be lost the next month but those day when its on are days you'll never forget!!!!!

Now here is my bucket list of questions that only fishing everyday will put you on those epic days.

Will the mullet run close to the beach or out deep? Last year the mullet were there but mostly offshore.
Will they run slow or fast? You can figure this one out. Hopefully slow.
Will they be large schools or just little packs moving by?
Will there be nice schools that move thru slow and steady for weeks? Hopefully! If they get really slow you can work a school for an hour or two.
Will there be giants schools that move thru fast? This usually is hot action but long time between that action.
Will the schools move into the inter-coastal and skip the beaches?

Now to the snook! Cause they are the only fish that really matter! Please catch as many blues,mackerel and ladyfish (unless they are small-please release to move south) off the piers up north so I don't have to re-rig so often.

Now to where the fish will be! Thats the million dollar question!

Will they be in the deep pockets along the beach?
Will the fish stack along the beaches north or south of the inlets?
Will they be solid at the piers?
Not my favorite place this time of year but I'm sure many here will say thats its the best place. I'd consider this ...........close to a deep beach pocket or inlet beach but the fun of catching snook during the mullet run is lots of action ...........and LIGHT TACKLE. The pier will work for action but the light tackle goes out the window.
Will they be stacked around the jetties of the inlets?
Will they be stacked around the inside of the inlet jetties?
Will they be stacked mid / center inlet?
Will they be stacked around the inter-coastal bridges and breaks in the seawalls etc?

Yes i know snook will caught everywhere but to me it is finding out where the bio-mass of snook will be feeding. This area may be the hot spot the whole run or may shift around during it. I find that if you can find it early in the run 50 fish can be caught in a couple of weeks.
Down here its its not like up north where a 30 fish day can be had easily and if you hit it just right a 50 fish (snook) day can happen. This can be hard during the mullet run due to so many un-wanted species getting in the way. If you really want a 50 fish day spend a 3 day day mid-week vacation before the season opens up at SI. My personal record is well over 50 snook in one day. If you get the chance do this trip for sheer numbers it can't be beat. Most will be shorts with a some slots and a couple jumbos mixed in. Its much better to fish from shore for sheer numbers. Just be prepared to get or buy bait at least 7 or 8 times for this feat to be accomplished!

It was nice to come back to this site and not have to request an email to get my password reset. Maybe I'll start posting here again!
Lock & Load!

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Will the schools move into the inter-coastal and skip the beaches

Well said, with the above.. They HAVE TO swim down a beach to get to the ICW :lol: ... But I understand what you are saying... That is why it pays to fish some sort of "structure" that the mullet get cornered... Some sort of Jetty is perfect... this confuses the mullet, and the gamefish will hold them there... I've seen a school of mullet "bunched" up in a similar spot for almost 2 hours last year.

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) Some of you are just funny.
As for mullet being late,.. I've seen none of that. They've come every year around the same times. Just because some people are not there at specific times to see them, doesn't mean they didn't come. They do not always travel the shoreline, depending on weather. The ditch, beaches, all the way offshore, they travel this way around the same times each year. Day and night. Not that hard to try and guess when they come.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Zebco wrote:8) Some of you are just funny.
As for mullet being late,.. I've seen none of that. They've come every year around the same times. Just because some people are not there at specific times to see them, doesn't mean they didn't come. They do not always travel the shoreline, depending on weather. The ditch, beaches, all the way offshore, they travel this way around the same times each year. Day and night. Not that hard to try and guess when they come.
:stupid: Everyone said last year run was slow. But most of the mullet swam past the pier out in deeper water. This is why we need the strong east wind and push them to us so we can fish them. It is just cool to follow them along the beach. Looking forward on following school this year.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

8) I saw loads last year. But those that are not there at the right time just do not see them when they come by. So they'll say that the mullet aren't here yet. I love it.

MASTERPEACOCK29
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MASTERPEACOCK29 »

Some schools are here in dade county,Found them monday night on a scouting mission,
took some to a secret location and my friend landed and released a beautiful
20 pounder.Will post report in dade section.

SnapperHunter26
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnapperHunter26 »

ohhhh I know the mullet are here...scattered, but they are here...:P :driving: :driving:

fishnRgolfn
Fisher

Post by fishnRgolfn »

Saw 5-6 big schools 6pm N of Boca.
I can't seem to find anything with them other than ladyfish. Same last year. Is it location or luck of the draw? Am I more likely to find quality fish in the ICW or the beach?

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

bolo wrote: Everyone said last year run was slow.
Not me....I thought it was one of the better ones I fished....but then again I was "there" at DFP when a football field sized school stalled out for the whole day.....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

SaltLife27
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SaltLife27 »

I agree, I found last year to be pretty good for me. If this year is like last I wont be disappointed

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Cookinman wrote:
bolo wrote: Everyone said last year run was slow.
Not me....I thought it was one of the better ones I fished....but then again I was "there" at DFP when a football field sized school stalled out for the whole day.....
I think I seen you there during the run last year.... blues blues blues fwc fwc macks fwc blues blues fwc....
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

REEL CAST
Seasoned Fisher

Post by REEL CAST »

Guys we need a strong cold front with NE winds for the blues and others to come down .Just :chillpill: and have fun with the mullet that is here ,tarpon and snook are on them. :reeling:

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

8) The fish will come wind or not. It's called migration.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol:

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”