Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

Post by WetWillie »

Fished from dawn till noon today. Southeast wind, good waves, south current. Expected to see some mullet but they were a no-show. One big, big 'poon just after sunup. Had to be 100 pounds. Monster! Saw one good keeper mack come over the rail, caught on a live bait. Scattered runners and we must have caught 60 ladyfish, all tossed back. Not a big one in the bunch. Lost about a 30 pound cobe, caught on a live bait. Got him straight down, but some googan crossed our line and when we were trying to net the boy, this goog kept on reeling his line and he had us so wrapped up, the cobe snapped off. I came real close to going to jail. Turns out, he's some 80 year old Armenian who doesn't even speaka de English and has his 8 year old grandson interpreting for him. Between them, they knew how to fish like a pig knows how to ride a bicycle. He was totally oblivious of the fact he cut us off. Pissed doesn't describe the moment at all. And just to add insult to injury, he never turned off the clicker on his mono reel. His age is the only thing that saved him! Thought we'd see some bluefish, but not to be. We'll be back tomorrow! High hopes all over again! Out! :nopity: :nopity:
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

cudaking305
Old Salt

Post by cudaking305 »

This is pretty funny because im armenian and theyre arent too many of us in miami and havin him cut you off cuz they tend to not no how to fish but that doesnt apply to me :D
Fishing all day everyday

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

WetWillie wrote: I came real close to going to jail.
Or getting shot :roll: over a lost fish :roll: :roll:
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Returned to the scene of the crime today. Fished from dawn till about 10:30 a.m. Still nice ESE wind, not as strong. Waves calmed down too, but it was that nasty canal water. Bait was thick and a lot of folks were looking for snook. The ladyfish were all but gone. My crowd got one good keeper mack and a couple of big runners to fillet for my dogs. I've got two English Bulldogs that are on a raw diet and absolutely love sushi! Oh, that Armenian guy and his grandson were back but we had six degrees of separation today. Maybe going again on Wednesday. Tight lines! Out!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Holy cwap! The ocean belongs to the needlefish. Free swimming live bait = needlefish. Live bait with a small sinker to get it below the surface = needlefish. Even a gold Gotcha with a yellow head = needlefish. Oh, and a special shout out to the special googan who unspooled his reel and left all that mono line on the deck of the pier from the tee, all the way to the beach, and around the pier lights, too. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch!!! Thank God for the NFL! Out!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Got to the pier just before sunup after stopping at Dunkin' Donuts. Great eastern sky, good N/NE wind, ocean was smooth with waves 3-5 feet. Just a slight north current. No surfers and it wasn't too crowded. Macks started at first light on float rigs. Pompano started soon after, mostly small but a couple of keepers mixed in. Didn't see any bait, but really wasn't looking for it with all the mack action going on. A couple of Manta rays came through, apparently dining on plankton. Gave a nice performance. Beautiful to watch. It all started to shut down after 10 o'clock and we went for an early lunch @ McD's. Rob got 3 macks. Mandy got 1. Mackenzie cleaned up on the Pompano. Had a ball. It's so nice to have some good weather finally! Tight lines! Out!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished Pompano today, just before sunup till around 11 a.m. North wind, smooth seas, and that damn brown canal water. Pilchards kept moving in and out, but they were easily gettable. Saw 2 barely keeper macks and one large blue runner (bwoo runna) come over the rail. After that, needlefish (houndies) were pretty thick. One large pod of finger mullet came through, north to south, and kept going around 10 o'clock. The action (what there was of it) died quickly. Oh, and since I try to give a shout out to all those who are so deserving, here's a shout out to the icehole who left the cow-patty-sized human dump between the benches, just after the weather pole. Believe me, I complained, but the people working the refreshment stand have no authority. BSO just shook their heads. There is no regulating this place. Bike riders, dog walkers. They're thinking about closing the pier after dark, till sunrise. May not be a bad idea. Beautiful day, but whacky events. Be back on Sunday. Out!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

WetWillie I do appreciate the reports :toast: Thanks
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Hey, thanks, Tommy! And a big fist bump back at ya! By the way, you look good on the video feed. I do enjoy that on occasion!We're gonna have to hook up sometime and swap stories! Be well! Out!

cix8
Fisher

Post by cix8 »

Here's my first fishing report......not exciting.

I got out there about 6pm today. No bait fish. Good thing I stopped off and got some on the way over there. Lots of people out. Pretty day out. One lady pulled out a decent sized Black Margate on the north side of the T. Saw a good hand full of Jacks being pulled over the rail. Around 6:30 there was two kids running around screaming, playing tag and hide n seek. No clue where the parents were, but it was pretty annoying. Caught several under slot Jacks threw back in even though the guy next to me wanted to use them as bait fish. Someone was smoking weed at the T. I got tired of the kids screaming, so I packed up and headed out. On the way out, one guy had a nice size Spanish Mack on the deck. I have to start fishing some where else.

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

cix8 wrote:Here's my first fishing report......not exciting.

I got out there about 6pm today. No bait fish. Good thing I stopped off and got some on the way over there. Lots of people out. Pretty day out. One lady pulled out a decent sized Black Margate on the north side of the T. Saw a good hand full of Jacks being pulled over the rail. Around 6:30 there was two kids running around screaming, playing tag and hide n seek. No clue where the parents were, but it was pretty annoying. Caught several under slot Jacks threw back in even though the guy next to me wanted to use them as bait fish. Someone was smoking weed at the T. I got tired of the kids screaming, so I packed up and headed out. On the way out, one guy had a nice size Spanish Mack on the deck. I have to start fishing some where else.
Under slot jacks? :scratch: Since when were there size limits on them....?

Seems like a sucky day out though...maybe head south more and try Anglins.
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

maybe they were under size pompano?

cix8
Fisher

Post by cix8 »

Yeah, the were Jacks. I have a hard time breaking away from Freshwater thinking. Let the little ones go back,so they can get big. Then you can catch them again. They were really small, about the size of my hand.

JSheffey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSheffey »

cix8 wrote:Yeah, the were Jacks. I have a hard time breaking away from Freshwater thinking. Let the little ones go back,so they can get big. Then you can catch them again. They were really small, about the size of my hand.
Im with you. i still let the little ones go and only keep enough for a meal or two at a time. i really hate seeing fish goto wast and i refuse to keep small fish of any kind.

Thanks for the reports gentlemen, im thinking of fishing pompano after work here soon.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished from about 6:30 a.m. to about noon. Rainy early, enough to put you in the shelter for ten minutes or so, off and on. East wind @ 15 knots or so. Slight south current, 2 - 3 foot waves with murky water conditions. Huge pilchard school was under the T all day. And I mean, under the pier. They were afraid to come out anywhere. If you tossed a Gotcha or float rig just past the edge of the school, you'd get slammed by a mack or a big runner! Me? I had a blast. Got 6 mega runners (my bulldogs will get those fillets) and 5 good size macks. The bigger macks ( 4 to 5 lbs and up) were hitting live baits on the bottom, with big 5 oz bank sinkers. Get this; I even had a trigger fish hit my Gotcha :nemo: . I had reeled it in and was deep jigging it straight down, just to see if I could induce a runner or jack, for fun. Okay, don't believe me. Hey, I got witnesses! Action started to fade after 11 and a lot of guys left, including me. The lifeguards came out to practice jumping off the south side. Kinda ruined it after that. Definitely going back tomorrow. You gotta get while the gettin' is good! I never met a mack I didn't like! Only got cut off once. A mack hit my swivel above my leader. Others were singing the blues 2, 3, 4 times over.

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

Thanx for the report!
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

squidgq
Fisher

Post by squidgq »

Fished wed night between 6:30 and 9ish. No bait, no fish. Didnt really see anything come over the rails other than some small grunts. Worked ne corner of t and both north and south side midway on pier. Thiswas the first time i saw no bait at pomp pier... C'est la vie!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished Pompano today from sunup to about nooner. Holy crow! I'm glad we got NFL this time of year. It ain't cold enough or blowin' enough to bring in the good stuff yet. Today, wind was NNE at 8 to 10, slight south current, seas 2-4 feet and murky. Tide was flooding in but not a bait in sight, from beach to T. No mullet schools, either! Jacks, runners and ladyfish were noticably absent from the wave line. Never saw a mack cross the rail. The only good thing happened while I was jiggin' for some baits in the NW corner of the T, using a small piece (micro) of shrimp on my Sabiki, my ultra-light bends in half and the drag starts rippin' out like a raided whorehouse. I figured I found a big blue runner or a jack, right? Wrong! I increase the drag a smidge and play the fish, and up to the surface comes a big orange HOG SNAPPER!!! Whoa! So, I put the rod against the rail and start handlining the boy up toward the rail, praying the 5 lb center line on the Sabiki doesn't let go. Well, it didn't!! Woo-hoo! It measured out to 13 and a half inches. KEEPER! ON A SABIKI!! The fillets currently reside in my fridge, awaiting dinner this evening. With some rice and veggies, there should be just enough for me and The Warden (That's what I call her). Otherwise, like I said, I'm glad we got NFL! Out!

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Willie, Great Sabiki story.... Good Eats

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nice job, never know what you will get on a sabiki.

joshfishboy1819
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joshfishboy1819 »

one day at naples pier i was trying to get bait and got a small kingfish so yea
anglins pier rat

ItsAllAboutME
Weekend Warrior

Post by ItsAllAboutME »

WetWillie wrote:Fished Pompano today from sunup to about nooner. Holy crow! I'm glad we got NFL this time of year. It ain't cold enough or blowin' enough to bring in the good stuff yet. Today, wind was NNE at 8 to 10, slight south current, seas 2-4 feet and murky. Tide was flooding in but not a bait in sight, from beach to T. No mullet schools, either! Jacks, runners and ladyfish were noticably absent from the wave line. Never saw a mack cross the rail. The only good thing happened while I was jiggin' for some baits in the NW corner of the T, using a small piece (micro) of shrimp on my Sabiki, my ultra-light bends in half and the drag starts rippin' out like a raided whorehouse. I figured I found a big blue runner or a jack, right? Wrong! I increase the drag a smidge and play the fish, and up to the surface comes a big orange HOG SNAPPER!!! Whoa! So, I put the rod against the rail and start handlining the boy up toward the rail, praying the 5 lb center line on the Sabiki doesn't let go. Well, it didn't!! Woo-hoo! It measured out to 13 and a half inches. KEEPER! ON A SABIKI!! The fillets currently reside in my fridge, awaiting dinner this evening. With some rice and veggies, there should be just enough for me and The Warden (That's what I call her). Otherwise, like I said, I'm glad we got NFL! Out!
Banitas, macs and snappers, what, the hell, i need more for free for my dinner at Pompano pier? Pompano rulez!

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Went out yesterday from 4pm to just before sundown, absolutely nothing except a few undersized pomps caught on fleas, and one Bluefish.
Hold Fast

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

What is up, my brothers of the wooden plank? Here's the no-go logo on yesterday's adventure. Fished Pompano on Wednesday from about 7 to noon. North wind, maybe 5 kts, flat, clear water, clouds gave way to bright sun. No baits, save some glass minnows at the shoreline that weren't cooperating, even with a castnet. (Can I say that here and not get arrested or fined?) They were that small and I was feeling desperate!! One dude got a really nice mack on a sand perch he free-lined off the middle of the pier, south side. I christened my new down-net and netted the boy for him. I also got to net a huge cuda that hit another guy's live bait. But, that was it! No pompano (even shorts), no bluefish, no jacks or even blue runners. As I was leaving, somebody said there were scattered sardines under the tee, but you really had to work for them. I hate it when my equipment gets a workout but I get nada to show for it. Thanks, and a Happy Veterans Day to those, present and past, who serve! Hoo-Yah! Out! :patriot: :salut:

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Helped out with the kids event @ Dania pier on Sunday. Had a blast. Met some really cool dudes. I wanna go tomorrow, but The Warden and I have our 43rd wedding anniversary. I'm thinkin' she won't let me outta the house. But, hey, post some reports so I can at least be envious of everybody's good luck. Wednesday, I definitely will be at the Pompano rail, jiggin' in the riggin'. I promised myself I'm not gonna use fleas or shrimp for pomps this year. I loves me a challenge! Party on, plank walkers!! Out!

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

It was nice meeting you WetWillie.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Went out today from 4-6, absolute madness with googans and bluefish everywhere. So many tangles and casts directly to their right or left over a dozen other peoples lines and then the massive birdsnest shortly thereafter. Of course bluefish just being swung over the rail with reckless abandon and all the other usual nonsense. Ok, end rant. Wouldn't know if any pomps were around because everytime I'd put out a pomp rod I'd get snagged almost instantly, so just quit to avoid the hassle. There was a real nice cobia caught off the T, came up to a chum bag and the guy tossed him a live ballyhoo and he ate. Also a DIESEL mutton was caught on a rig intended for blues on the bottom. Really sad because he caught it around 5 and when I left at 6 it was still just sitting on the deck :roll: Anywho, the fish are chewin', I will not be going on a pier again for a while though, they are all reachable by shore, and no need to put up with the hassle. Tight lines.
Hold Fast

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Swordslayer the pier I fished today was not a hassel at all. All pomps I caught to day were on 8# spinning outfit with jigs. Piers can be annoying though.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”