Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

Post by snakehead terror »

any tarpon yet?
BEAST
snapperkiller

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Saw two 'poons on Tuesday morning, heading north, chasing a big school of mullet. They went about 40-50 lbs each, estimate. Small permit in the surf on small hooks and shrimp tips. Just fun for something to do. Yeah, I know; that don't help much. What can I tell ya?
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

C-MONEY

Post by C-MONEY »

Once the tarpon and snook and pilchards come back, thats my "go to" pier..

fisherdave
Weekend Warrior

Post by fisherdave »

Anyone knows what time is the pier closed?

NICK123
KING MACKEREL

Post by NICK123 »

corey on wills Oscar mayer :alien:

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Is the pier open or closed???
BEAST
snapperkiller

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

snakehead terror wrote:Is the pier open or closed???
open and free
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

snakehead terror wrote:Is the pier open or closed???
The pier no longer covers you for the fishing license though, you need to have your own there.

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) Bad news place to be until the city starts watching over this pier. I heard the poaching with the Vietnamese was ridiculous when the Pomps were coming thru. Wonder how many Snook have been swiped without a clue.

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

Zebco wrote:8) Bad news place to be until the city starts watching over this pier. I heard the poaching with the Vietnamese was ridiculous when the Pomps were coming thru. Wonder how many Snook have been swiped without a clue.
Second good weekend they were thru thick...it WAS RIDICULOUS.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

I was out there today, the tiny wrass thing that i got on a sabiki was the only fish caught for the 2 hours i was there. some poons around but not a single bait.
BEAST
snapperkiller

Learnin2Fish
Fisher

Post by Learnin2Fish »

Fished the pier Saturday night, caught 5 decent sized jacks, nothing t0 write home about. However when I was loading my stuff back into the car I saw a group of Asian guys loading a huge ray into their truck. They were fishing from the beach it took four of them to carry this thing I wish I had my phone with me to take pics, but it fell off the pier the last that I brought it out so, $500 :cry: later I leave it at home.

offtrackk
Old Salt

Post by offtrackk »

fwc should be out there!
team BLACKFIN TUNA!!!!!!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

phino wrote:
Learnin2Fish wrote:Fished the pier Saturday night, caught 5 decent sized jacks, nothing t0 write home about. However when I was loading my stuff back into the car I saw a group of Asian guys loading a huge ray into their truck. They were fishing from the beach it took four of them to carry this thing I wish I had my phone with me to take pics, but it fell off the pier the last that I brought it out so, $500 :cry: later I leave it at home.

should've grabbed their license plate number and car info and call it in.
Nothing illegal with keeping a ray, as long as it is not an eagle or manta ray.

Learnin2Fish
Fisher

Post by Learnin2Fish »

Have no idea exactly what kind it was, I just googled a stingray and I really don't think that's what it was, but I'm not an expert so I don't want to hazard a guess :scratch:

Learnin2Fish
Fisher

Post by Learnin2Fish »

Hey Rob, it's good to be back out. I need to get out to Anglins soon. How are the girls and your wife?

vsailfish101
Fisher

Post by vsailfish101 »

was out there all day today nuttin was caught......small tinker bait in shore before the storm cam a big school of jacks came like ten pounders......thew jigs at the not one hit......during the storm jhon aka macboi was out there and got hit by a lighteing strike a lil that gave him a rush :bounce: .....thats it will be out there tommorw too i will post when i get back home see ya

ItsAllAboutME
Weekend Warrior

Post by ItsAllAboutME »

I saw, maybe, 18-20 inch, Parrot fish last wekend, landed on pomp.pier, are they eatable? I thought parrot fish - not eatable, or very risky to eat, coz they are coral reefs feeding fishes. another topic, after design changes this site slow like hell.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

that might be pushin it but as long as there small just like cuda... than you should be alright.

squidgq
Fisher

Post by squidgq »

Hello all. Just got back from Pompano pier -- between 2pm and 8pm. Here's my take on things (sorry if this is long winded)

First things first -- managed to hook some heavy weight monster. Of course, stupid me had the wife's lightweight bass pole out there (yes Tom, I know you told me so) and the line snapped. Not even 4 seconds later the 'other' bass pole on the other side of the pier started its dance and eventually the line snapped. All in all, it was about 10 seconds of excitement followed being haunted by the fish that got away. This was on pilchard heads btw, so if anyone has any idea what the possible suspects are, I would love to know.

Bait was pretty good through the afternoon. Big schools around the pilings.

But here comes my questions -- I noticed that in many instances my live bait was chewed up on the end opposite the hook (nose hooked, rear section destroyed and vice versa). I've seen gang hooks, two hook rigs etc. I'm not sure if these are good options or if the hook I'm using might just be too big or??? I'm using Daichii's 1/0 to 3/0. I think these may be bigger compared to other brands...

All in all a good day, some nice excitement towards the end, but I will always be haunted by this and other fish that got away. And of course, the opposite ends issue really drove me insane.

squidgq
Fisher

Post by squidgq »

phino wrote:

i've had it too, sometime's usually in my experience, it was smaller fishes tearing them up, and i've had mack slice right through half of my baitfish. as for the pilchard head, was it casted out or under the pier?

Phino -- both were directly under the pier. I'd say about half to the 'T'

C-MONEY

Post by C-MONEY »

Snook?

squidgq
Fisher

Post by squidgq »

C-MONEY wrote:Snook?

Snook is what I suspected... but still so new to saltwater, can't really say.

C-MONEY

Post by C-MONEY »

Could have been snook. Could have been snapper. Thinking about hitting up pompano or anglins tomarrow.

kingsrt954
Fisher

Post by kingsrt954 »

How is the overnight fishing? Are the lights on? How much is parking if I go after 9?

ItsAllAboutME
Weekend Warrior

Post by ItsAllAboutME »

kingsrt954 wrote:How is the overnight fishing? Are the lights on? How much is parking if I go after 9?
Last tuesday(week ago), i hit pompano pier, after work, for about 2 hours (6-8PM). It was high tide + good current from south and south-east wind about 15-20 knots. Water was kind a between lightly dirty-sandy and clear-light blue, no bait schools, but some pilchards around. I used 3-4 inch pichards, and Ceros were striking all the time, between 6 and 7PM, i got 2 hooked / landed, about 15-20 inches, and missed about 4-5 macro strikes, i beleive. Parking is $1/Hour regardless of time, lights are sucks, compare to what it was before they changed them, always on.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”