Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

Post by WetWillie »

I'm posting a non-report. My report is this: Nothing! Got to the Pompano rail at sunup and stayed till 11:30. Why I stayed that long, I don't know. Tide was out, no waves, gin-clear water, very slight north current, no wind, no bait except glass minnows. Eventually managed to jig up a few sand perch and even got two ballyhoo. A small cuda ate a SP and all I got back was the head. There were some small macks that would chase your Gotcha or Yo-Yo, but they wouldn't hit it. It was frustrating. It was a little chilly at first, but no pomps, not even shorts. Saw one pod of snook (about 30). They all looked like slots, but they all had lockjaw. I'll be staying home and watching the weather. We need a very dramatic change to stir things up. Hey, you guys can go catch all the fish I left there for ya! Tight lines! Out!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

WetWillie wrote:I'm posting a non-report. My report is this: Nothing! Got to the Pompano rail at sunup and stayed till 11:30. Why I stayed that long, I don't know. Tide was out, no waves, gin-clear water, very slight north current, no wind, no bait except glass minnows. Eventually managed to jig up a few sand perch and even got two ballyhoo. A small cuda ate a SP and all I got back was the head. There were some small macks that would chase your Gotcha or Yo-Yo, but they wouldn't hit it. It was frustrating. It was a little chilly at first, but no pomps, not even shorts. Saw one pod of snook (about 30). They all looked like slots, but they all had lockjaw. I'll be staying home and watching the weather. We need a very dramatic change to stir things up. Hey, you guys can go catch all the fish I left there for ya! Tight lines! Out!
will at least you were there :toast: get you a small livewell and take shrimps its a lil work but its worth it.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Greetings, fellow plankwalkers! Fished Pompano today, sunup to about 10:30 am. Water was murky (the canal outfall from the inlet), wind NE around 5 -10 kts, waves 2-4 ft. Usual slight south current. Started out jigging some sand perch for bait and later found a big school of hoos out by the T, on the south side. Two fishers had chumbags deployed. Thanks, guys! The macks showed up around 10 and one dude told me that they did the same thing yesterday. Today's trick of the day was to get a few hoos, put them out live (some guys used a trolly), but you needed to add a stinger, we found out after God knows how many cutoffs. The macks that were coming over the rail were all in the 4-5 lb range (heads and shoulders on 'em). There were a couple smaller ones too. I wound up not catching any because I was the only guy on the pier with a down net, so I felt like a mate on a head boat. I helped three dudes land their dinner. Then, the parking meter ran out and I had to split. Maybe I shoulda asked for donations for parking. LOL! I hate it when some of my equipment gets more action than I do! Those guys owe me; wadda ya think? Going back on Friday. I'm all wifed up tomorrow and T day on Thursday! Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good night!!! Out.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice report and great job helping out everyone.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

I actually enjoyed helping out. I was just glad to be in a position to help where I could. I don't think I'd take any man's catch, unless maybe he limited out, in which case I could find a good home for their overages. Besides, if I was at the rail a lot, I'd probably catch a Gotcha in my head, with my luck!

joshfishboy1819
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joshfishboy1819 »

WetWillie wrote:Greetings, fellow plankwalkers! Fished Pompano today, sunup to about 10:30 am. Water was murky (the canal outfall from the inlet), wind NE around 5 -10 kts, waves 2-4 ft. Usual slight south current. Started out jigging some sand perch for bait and later found a big school of hoos out by the T, on the south side. Two fishers had chumbags deployed. Thanks, guys! The macks showed up around 10 and one dude told me that they did the same thing yesterday. Today's trick of the day was to get a few hoos, put them out live (some guys used a trolly), but you needed to add a stinger, we found out after God knows how many cutoffs. The macks that were coming over the rail were all in the 4-5 lb range (heads and shoulders on 'em). There were a couple smaller ones too. I wound up not catching any because I was the only guy on the pier with a down net, so I felt like a mate on a head boat. I helped three dudes land their dinner. Then, the parking meter ran out and I had to split. Maybe I shoulda asked for donations for parking. LOL! I hate it when some of my equipment gets more action than I do! Those guys owe me; wadda ya think? Going back on Friday. I'm all wifed up tomorrow and T day on Thursday! Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good night!!! Out.
will see u out there friday hope we catch some fish!
anglins pier rat

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

You know what helping out with others fish will pay off in the end. It will come around your way for sure. :toast:

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Karma ( lack of better word)... You get what you deal out and it comes back hard or soft. Best bet, help when you can it seems to pay back. Helped a guy with his line in landing a pomp last week, then helped him with a set-up. He comes back to the pier after leaving and going home with homemade shrimp and crab rolls- hot and gived me lunch. Very unexpected but right on time. Karma-surpise

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Nice payback!! Bet they were awesome, too! Hey, anybody reading this, I can be bribed with food! I'm the guy with the net! Beware of imposters! :pistols:

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished Pompano from just after sunup to about 11 am. No waves, just swells, gin-clear water, north wind at about 10-12 and barely any south current. Tide was incoming, high around 1 pm. No bait schools to speak of. A chum bag on the tee brought in some hoo's, so that was good. I took Raul's advice this week and stopped off and got 2 dozen live shrimp. Guess what; first shrimp, first cast; BIG MACK! I was psyched. That was right after dawn. And then it went downhill from there. Experimented with more shrimp but the houndies were out in force. Live hoo's usually drew the attention of a gull, dammit. Before I left, I saw one more mack, an undersized king released, a puffer, a bonnethead shark and a file fish come over the rail. Came home for a nap and NFL. Thanks, Raul, PermitChaser, for the idea and dinner! I owe you one! I gotta get back down to Dania soon. Out.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Willie - I fished this pier alot as a teen because I lived close. For some reason Macs here key in on shrimp better than at the others -

Funny how that works - Anglins is the crappie jig pier...DFP is Gotcha -Mac heaven - and at Pmpno it seems as if the shrimp are still king. :cheers:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

You're right, Cookie! And what you say is knowledge written in stone. Each pier has something different. Hey, you live in CS? I'm just a little south, in Sunrise. We must drive the same distance "getting there".

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

WetWillie wrote:You're right, Cookie! And what you say is knowledge written in stone. Each pier has something different. Hey, you live in CS? I'm just a little south, in Sunrise. We must drive the same distance "getting there".
I do - Have not fished there in quite a while now - since I have little ones in tow, I avoid the place.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

ItsAllAboutME
Weekend Warrior

Post by ItsAllAboutME »

Cookinman wrote:Willie - I fished this pier alot as a teen because I lived close. For some reason Macs here key in on shrimp better than at the others -

Funny how that works - Anglins is the crappie jig pier...DFP is Gotcha -Mac heaven - and at Pmpno it seems as if the shrimp are still king. :cheers:

Exactly, each south-east-florida pier is an unique story, even if it its only 2-3 miles difference in location. I love Miami-Ft.Lauderdale-Juno pier fishing, always some fun catches!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Happy New Year to all my "Brothers and Sisters of the Wooded Plank"!! We're all hoping this year will be a whole lot better than the last, at least as far as "catching" goes! Fished from just after sunup to nooner today. Tide was just starting to go out, flat water, no waves, heavy overcast and a mostly north wind at about 5. The water close to shore (within 20 yards) had big globs of seaweed sitting on the bottom. There was also a bunch washed up on the beach, north and south. Clouds blew away around mid morning and sky cleared up nicely. No bait schools, save some really thick hoos straight down under the tee. Chum bag and Sabiki's worked well. George had a big hit but it spit the hook halfway in. Bummer. And Scott did land a NICE 16 inch mutt around 10:30. But, that was basically it. I had to work really hard to get two very small sand perch to take home to my bulldogs. They love sushi! We need a really good weather front to come through, and soon, I hope. Tight lines! Out!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

[quote="WetWillie". Thanks, Raul, PermitChaser, for the idea and dinner! I owe you one! I gotta get back down to Dania soon. Out.[/quote]

You welcome WW, buddy i just saw this sorry :toast: always got it have plan B :wink: I WILL start fishing hard SOON :mrgreen:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Glad to see a Pompano report for a change. I've fished there afternoons the last two weeks and haven't caught so much as bait! :scratch: But hey, it's close and cheap.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Hey, Wulf, you're right; it is close and cheap. Plus, there's no rod limit. In fact, most of us observe the "normal" pier rules, but there really is no enforcement. One day, I saw a gentleman from the islands (I'm trying to be delicate and politically correct here) trying to castnet a snook from the pier deck. I'd advise you to watch your gear, however. Scottie got totally robbed over the holidays. They took his rods, tackle box and just all his stuff. Chris lent him two spinning outfits and some tackle to hold him over till he gets some more stuff. There were several perps but it was too late to do anything by the time he realized he had been hit. I didn't get specific details, but I will next time I'm there. Out!

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

I was there two weeks ago and it was so sketchy..guys eyeing your gear the entire time..really got to watch your stuff out there..it can be good that pier gets a good mac run and if you get a livebait out far enough you'll be on fish...

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) That pier should be shut down until this ridiculous city can run this place properly and responsibly. One of these days something very bad is going to happen on that dock.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Lately I'll bring only one main rod and a cheap-arse bait rod out to any of the piers, unless I have a friend with me. Otherwise, all it takes is hooking onto something big and while you're busy fighting it, your other gear grows legs. :reeling:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

WetWillie wrote:Hey, Wulf, you're right; it is close and cheap. Plus, there's no rod limit. In fact, most of us observe the "normal" pier rules, but there really is no enforcement. One day, I saw a gentleman from the islands (I'm trying to be delicate and politically correct here) trying to castnet a snook from the pier deck. I'd advise you to watch your gear, however. Scottie got totally robbed over the holidays. They took his rods, tackle box and just all his stuff. Chris lent him two spinning outfits and some tackle to hold him over till he gets some more stuff. There were several perps but it was too late to do anything by the time he realized he had been hit. I didn't get specific details, but I will next time I'm there. Out!
Sketchyy!! Old timers told me that used to be a sweet Permit pier. :toast:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Zebco wrote:8) That pier should be shut down until this ridiculous city can run this place properly and responsibly. One of these days something very bad is going to happen on that dock.

Zeb , I am 110 % with you on this!
...And guess who gets sued when it does?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Does Broward station a cop at that pier? Seem's like Terry the BSO deputy at Anglen's is at Anglens all the time. Even on his time off he fishing at Anglen's.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

joshfishboy1819
Seasoned Fisher

crashmister wrote:Does Broward station a cop at that pier? Seem's like Terry the BSO deputy at Anglen's is at Anglens all the time. Even on his time off he fishing at Anglen's.
no there is not
anglins pier rat

ItsAllAboutME
Weekend Warrior

Post by ItsAllAboutME »

joshfishboy1819 wrote:
crashmister wrote:Does Broward station a cop at that pier? Seem's like Terry the BSO deputy at Anglen's is at Anglens all the time. Even on his time off he fishing at Anglen's.
no there is not
That pier is the most quiet pier around, nothing can heppend there, cops watch it all the time, more than others sice it is "open pier" and under control of Pompano City. If anyone waiting for "something to happend", leave your coordinates here, we will come for yo, bad boys ... drink "beer" there but be aware!

joshfishboy1819
Seasoned Fisher

any fishing reports going on tommorw after noon and monday all day
anglins pier rat

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”