Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2007

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Forum God
Weekend Warrior

Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2007

Post by Forum God »

This thread is for Dania Pier Fishing Reports when the pier re-opens.
Forum God

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Is this Pier OPEN????????

If so hit us up with some Reports and Pics, Thanks
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Dania Pier is open. And Free admission too. I believe it is only "open" dawn to dusk until Dec 1, 2006 when it will be 24/7. I forgot to ask when I was there about hours until Dec 1st. DOH!

Arrived at the pier about 6:30-7:00 am Sunday. Not a lot of anglers early, but by 11:00 am, there were a guesstimated 40+, and the usual gaggle of tourists.

Did not have much luck myself. Did see quite a few good size mackerals caught. Also, at least 4-5 Cobia's were hooked off the "T", and my buddy saw one 'good' one inshore.

Pelicans. A couple stayed in the water, chasing the fish as they were reeled up. One grabbed a nice mack from one unhappy angler.

The bait situation was not good. There was a chum bag out nearby, and Ballyhoo's were there and catchable. Used a little shrimp on a small gold hook. I rigged my 'hoos' with a needle, running my hook, short <6"> wire to 30 lb leader from the anal vent out the head. Fished them, one on the bottom, and after that one was totally cut off, another freelined. Both were lost above the 'rigging', and the one mack or king I saw was pretty darn big and yanked my drag pretty good on my old trusty Ambassador 5000 before it's premature "release". Probably should have used a little longer piece of wire.

Did not see a pilchard or herring all day. There were macks, cobia, some runners, jacks, moonfish, moray eels, a nice 5-6 lb mutton, plenty of shorts. But considering the number of anglers, and my own dismal results, I was somewhat dissapointed. Perhaps I just picked a "bad" day, and I'll surely return.

I tossed my usual favorite producers, a Krocodile spoon, 1/4 white bucktail with & without a grubtail, gotcha, and some other stuff. It was a little too windy for hard crankbaits, and the height of the pier off the water probably affects retrieve action as well.

When you fish the Dania pier, take a pier net with you. It's high off the water compared to other piers, and you'll want to be able to safely land your catch, in case it's a short that needs to be released. TWO Cobia's were put on the pier, 29" & 30", and both were 'landed' by gaffing with a pier gaff. Needless to say, even though released, it's unlikely those two fish will survive to maturity. A true waste, IMHO. Younger angler's than myself, (but than, most all anglers are), I was truly disheartened by that callous action.

I'd like to see some benches, rod racks, running water, and cutting boards on the pier. There were also no trash receptacles, and I came home with a pocket full of used and discarded mono.

There was frozen bait for sale, and also a concession stand open for business.

All the fish I saw hooked or landed were on the south side today. Current was running south, wind from the N west, N east, etc. Water was churned up a bit, a visibility was fair.

Most of the macks were a very respectable size today.

Artificials did not work for me today. Did have a few 'bumps', and lost one white bucktail w/ grub jig on a cutoff.

Than again, fresh rigged ballyhoo did not 'work' for me today either. It might be beneficial to take a chum bag and some chum when fishing Dania to draw the bait in. And I did see the ballyhoo's get hit several times, but of course, that was always just out of casting range. :(

That's my report, and I think I'm sticking to it. :)
Last edited by Master-Baiter on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Baiter

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Great report MB.

I am truly saddenee that I cannot make BIGFISH as I had planned to. It would be great putting some faces with the names to be sure.

Looks like Dania Pier is back !

****MIKE****
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ****MIKE**** »

yo master baiter did you see me out there im trying to figure out who you were put its not happening
PERFECTION IN FISHING!

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

... Dania is no higher than Juno. They are basically the same pier. Lake Worth will be the same when it goes up too. One of the best things about Dania is the fact that there are "no" rod racks, cutting boards, benches, and all that other mess. It is strictly pier without the collection of stuff in the way. I hope that is how it remains. There is no lighting on the pier yet, and there is no knowledge of when there will be. Come the 1st, it may still be dawn to dusk.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

The water was too clear to use artificials you needed live bait to score today Ihad alot of follows and slashes but didn't get any hooked not like yesterday they weren't that aggressive. I had a keeper cobe on but the guys net had a whole and while trying to bringit up POP LINE BROKE . :x That's fishing By the way it was a Madhouse today. LINES ALL OVER THE PLACE wait till the bait shows up .

StyngRay
KING MACKEREL

Post by StyngRay »

Master-Baiter wrote:I'd like to see some benches, rod racks, running water, and cutting boards on the pier. There were also no trash receptacles, and I came home with a pocket full of used and discarded mono.
Great Report MB. I was there Sunday. It became a small mad house.
Some guys were getting on each others nerves. Even I was annoyed when anglers were casting over my line to jig their spoons. They do need to do something about getting trash bins out there. I did my part and discarded other peoples trash. They would just watch the wind carry it away not to worry about it anymore, until they saw me grab that crap.
Plain And Simple, Life's A Beach!
ABCDEDBD FISHYS?

ReEl SoUtH
Fisher

Post by ReEl SoUtH »

fished there yesturday saw some nice macks and a few little yellowtail there were little runners and hoos for bait no muttons heard there were some in the mornin all shorts though
R.I.P Garrett W. Griffin 1987-2006
THE GOOD DIE YOUNG

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

I might hit it tommorow it's been too crowded

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

... Dania is free admission. Anglins costs you $12.00 to park and fish. Dania will be cheap as before when they start charging. Expect Dania to be the more busy pier from now on.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

Yup.

BoatlessFisherman

I was there around 11:30 am and it was miserably slow, OH I saw a Grunt caught and a Pelican. I also saw Gotcha and he confirmed that it had be slow there.

The pier is not open at night, those that venture may get into some trouble.

as to pier fishing
Those that like Anglins will still go.
There was no difference today for numbers and it was free at Dania, same amount of fisherman, just less being caught.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

... That is because Dania isn't a pier that fills up at daybreak. It is a later morning flow. Never understood why. But, that is what I have seen most times.

Rossdemarzo
Weekend Warrior

Post by Rossdemarzo »

Going to head out to Dania Tommorow with my roomate. If anybody has any advice on bait or just fishing the pier let me know

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

fishermon wrote: i dont mind people bring all those rods. they just gatta keep the place clean and learn how to use a garbage can.
... Once the pier is running normally, there will be a "3 rods only" rule. As for slobs on the pier, what do you expect from the area and free admission. They will sort things out soon. I will not need to be out there until February. By then, things will have settled down.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

got there about 10 am. Windy 20 mph. some googan lost 3 blues--- caught was 2macks --1 10lb. jack reeled in by me on someone elses rod because people were losing way too many fish on the retrive Total catch before I left 2pm. 2 macks 2 runners 1 jack (1 hooked WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT :shock: . NOT A GOOD DAY BUT IT WAS BETTER THAN NOT GOING.

It is really wierd no pomps.

BoatlessFisherman

I agree tossing a rod and getting a few fish is a good day. Thanks for the Report
-Tommy A-

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

... They have been swimming deeper. They are not this late. They will be solid as usual come spring. I have seen this happen before. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a few here and there. I am sure the larger amounts have headed south. Been doing this way too long.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

Well today started really bad but after tom and the boatless crew left we had cobias 1 keeper lost 3 others short then macks ,snappers it picked up after the tide change so about 15 macks 4 cobes 3 bonnets 3 black tips and 1 nurse 4 jacks and 1 close mutton were caught . this was a bad day .

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

It was nice to put names to faces at "The DID Gathering".

I was pretty busy with BIG FISH DID stuff until a few minutes after 9am. Than I went fishing.

Not too much had been happening that I knew of up to that point.

Started tossing some arti's, my reliable Kroc spoon, & white bucktail. Than it happened.

I spotted a Cobia on the south side after deciding to just look around for awhile, most likely keeper size! But my cast went way off course, so I yelled my buddy's name, who was fishing the north side. He was tangled, but another angler heard me call, and could tell from the tone of my voice there was a reason to look. Threw his gotcha and hooked up immediately. The bridge net was tangled, and he decided to horse the fish and keep it still, rather than play it a little lighter until the net was ready, and it broke him off. Too bad, it was a keeper.

There were several cobia today, and I also saw macks, runners, a couple nice mutton, other snappers, cobia, some skip jacks, including one that may have been over a pound, and several sharks too.

Brought home one Spanish, a meal for two. Lost a couple others. Got them on a freelined live shrimp, 5-6 feet of 30 lb leader, and popping cork so I could cast it out. Current was running North, and my hookups came on the North side.

Stayed past noon. Just enough happening every time we started to think about leaving to think, "Well, maybe it's going to start happening now".

Not. :(

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

phino wrote:they still open only dawn to dusk? or is it open all day now?
24/7
Master Baiter

ReEl SoUtH
Fisher

Post by ReEl SoUtH »

fished the pier for a little today slow except a few mack little tips baby muttons and tail
R.I.P Garrett W. Griffin 1987-2006
THE GOOD DIE YOUNG

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”