Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2011 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
JWORM904
Weekend Warrior

Re: Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2011 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by JWORM904 »

Thank you for the report, Joban.

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

My son and I were at Deerfield Pier today around 6pm. Only as sightseers though. We had never been so wanted to check it out before fishing there. Anyhow, in less than a half an hour we saw 2 Pompano and a couple of snapper caught from the " T "

phishingstein
Fisher

Post by phishingstein »

I fished Deefield peir for the 1st time Saturday 4/2 night, got there around 9:00. Caught one keeper mangrove and one too small in about an hour. I went back Sunday morning around 4:30, only got a sand perch in about 3 and half hours. The sunrise was nice though. Ill give it a try again soon .

Rocky46
Fisher

Post by Rocky46 »

How's the fishing at the pier? Have they finished the dredging yet?

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

My son and I tried the Deerfield Pier for our third time on Saturday 4-16-2011. We were there from 4pm until 12am. Our only catch was completely unintended. Using a bobber and fishing a frozen finger mullet down about three feet, I somehow managed to hook a baby Sea Turtle. It looks to be a one year or two year old Green Sea Turtle. But I'm not sure. After slowly reeling it in so as not to cause injury, we hoisted it up using a bridge net. Thank heavens it was just barely hooked in the right front flipper. The hook easily came out. We then walked to the beach and set it free unharmed to the delight of us and the beach crowd. :D

As for the fish catch...nada. But, once again, outside of spots and grunts no one else was catching anything either. So, after three trips to Deerfield and one to Pompano the score is fish-4, us-0. Although, I did have several really good hits fishing the bobber/finger mullet as mentioned above. The first stripped the bait. The second bit the bait in half. And the third cut the 50lb test leader like a pair of scissors. I have a feeling it was a Barracuda. We didn't catch any fish but it sure was exciting hearing that drag scream! We'll be back.....

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

yup that's a green sea turtle..i think someone caught that same one later that day lol

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Good job on the turtle release...be careful holding them like that though, they are actually pretty mean and can take a nasty bite if they want to.

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

I believe you. It bit a hole in the net and scraped up the metal ring pretty good....

HnKnSkyWlKr
Weekend Warrior

Post by HnKnSkyWlKr »

had a buddy of mine try to feed one while we was catching bugs down in big pine
He can only count to 8 on both hands now :(

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

Serious?? Dang!

don
Fisher

Post by don »

If one let's you get close enough that you can get a good look at the beak, you'd twice about trying to feed them.

BOATS.MOES

Post by BOATS.MOES »

Spanish Macks are biteing on crome gotchas. There were lots of huge cudas geting caught also bonitos. There was a 10 foot hammerhead and a dolphin around. Also sad news a green sea turtle was caught and ate the hook it was a huge sea turtle. :D Looks like things are getting better! :nilly:

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

Were they able to beach the turtle? If so, did anyone call wildlife rescue or the Turtle Hospital in Marathon?

Kevin
Weekend Warrior

Post by Kevin »

i was there yesterday and had a chunk of cuda out on my 12/0 and the hammer had picked it up and started to go north some but it probly felt the hook or wire and dropped it after a few seconds. Tom had a whole bonita out on his avet and it got picked up like 5 times but it never swallowed it. as for the turtle that one was over 100 lbs, there was also another one caught i had to handline it up n almost lost my fingers the guy had like 30 lb braid. we took the hook out of its flipper and tuna released it and it swam off perfect.
Last edited by Kevin on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
Weekend Warrior

Post by Kevin »

There was also some tarpon rolling thru and i hooked one at night at like 11 30 on a live blue runner it stripped about 50 yards of line then spit the hook, oddly enough my bait came back alive and well and went back out on the trolley but didnt get hit for the rest of the night. left at 1 with about 6 spanish macks for sharkbait and a decent sunburn

HnKnSkyWlKr
Weekend Warrior

Post by HnKnSkyWlKr »

Kevin wrote: sharkbait and a decent sunburn
Thats a good day!!! :cheers: :mad: :mad:

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Some macks today, people got cut off a few times by kings on runners (saw a king sky on one of the baits)..I hooked a 6-7ft hammer on my buddies LX that ate a trollied runner...was pretty cool to see. It also ate a mack that my friend had out on his torium. Pier's slowly coming back to life.

BOATS.MOES

Post by BOATS.MOES »

Can you eat moonfish caught a lot of big ones today someone said they taste like pomp's is that true? The meat is not much for even big ones if u can tell me some good recipes and if there good eats :biglaugh:

Kevin
Weekend Warrior

Post by Kevin »

yes you can eat them but you get very little meat off of them. it takes several big ones to make a meal.

BOATS.MOES

Post by BOATS.MOES »

Alright cool do they taste like pomps and do u have any good recipes cause cant find any on the internet

Kevin
Weekend Warrior

Post by Kevin »

try posting a new thread, remember this is reports only :D

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

are they finally done with the dredging at DFP. I miss fishing up there......and how is the bait situation as of late.... good reports guys. we may head up that way tomorrow night.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

BOATS.MOES wrote:Can you eat moonfish caught a lot of big ones today someone said they taste like pomp's is that true? The meat is not much for even big ones if u can tell me some good recipes and if there good eats :biglaugh:
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 29&t=13645
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

The dredgiing at Deerfield is finished. haven't been there in a week or more so, unfortunately, can't answer about the bait.

Produkt
Fisher

Post by Produkt »

Was at the pier from 6.30 AM to 12.30 PM yesterday. A pompano caught on squid at about 8.00 AM, another pompano caught on a jig at about 10.00 AM, no baitfish except for a large school of one inch sardines that can't be used for trolleying, so we used them to try to catch blue runners. Mostly caught moonfish on them, we finally got a few runners, but no kings by the time I left. A guy also caught a bonefish on a squid rig at about 11.00 AM (wtf?)

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I've caught bonefish and pompano on squid. :toast:

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”