Pompano Fishing Pier 2011 "ONLY REPORT"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
feesh sumbeesh
Fisher

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2011 "ONLY REPORT"

Post by feesh sumbeesh »

Fishing pompano from 12 - 5 pm Saturday...caught some crazy big eyed grunt, had constant bites on shrimp. Only nibbles on store bought squid and frozen sardines. Switched to a sabiki, caught some bait fish, an free lined them for an hour before I had to leave, with only one missed fish on live bait to mention. Took the left over bait fish home to brine and freeze them for cut bait next time to try on a chicken rig. First time I fished this pier, I usually fish boca inlet, had a blast here aswell!!! Seen a big ray with nothing on it, a lot of Cuda's are hanging near the piers n. side handing cap fishing spot. One grandpa stove pipe Cuda was swimming around under the same spot. Also to :reeling: mention, a couple out of season snook...good amount of bait fish where being caught as well, on both sides of pier toward the end before the sher at the end on #3-6 sabiki, gold hook is all that mattered, not the green or red bead, helped a lil' kid and his mom out with my last pyramid weight for his sabiki and made his day. Called it a day ... live shrimp and live pilchards are good baits there.....will be fishing this pier religiously now since I live so close...best of luck to you guys and gals

feesh sumbeesh
Fisher

Post by feesh sumbeesh »

Fished from 2-6 pm Saturday. Seen a few small yellowtails and mangroves all under size being kept, one lady caught a 2lb blue fish and 22" cero Mack. Guy behind me caught a 14" lesser a.j.., also seen baseball size scales from a tarpon caught the day before on the pier. Seen a guy catch a toad fish or rock fish?, the one that has bad news writing on it , being kept and all his little kids had to "pet it".. the one one t.v. that's poisonous. Seen a guy trying to cast his new garage sale deep sea reel like Bill Dance, and walking a 1/3 of the pier to pick out the "eagles nest"..he tried it once more before he tapped out. The boat that pulls the parachute down the beach cruises 50 ft. from the end of the pier, with the roped people flying over the pier at 20 ft. Lol. As for me, putting in work!!! Caught two dozen cigar minnows to feeline under a rattle bobber and some new circle hooks. Missed some fish, and bait stolen plenty of times, only to land a monster needle fish, some small snapper that was brown and yellow , and a 13" Spanish Mack..

redskull35
Fisher

Post by redskull35 »

feesh sumbeesh wrote:Fished from 2-6 pm Saturday. Seen a few small yellowtails and mangroves all under size being kept, one lady caught a 2lb blue fish and 22" cero Mack. Guy behind me caught a 14" lesser a.j.., also seen baseball size scales from a tarpon caught the day before on the pier. Seen a guy catch a toad fish or rock fish?, the one that has bad news writing on it , being kept and all his little kids had to "pet it".. the one one t.v. that's poisonous. Seen a guy trying to cast his new garage sale deep sea reel like Bill Dance, and walking a 1/3 of the pier to pick out the "eagles nest"..he tried it once more before he tapped out. The boat that pulls the parachute down the beach cruises 50 ft. from the end of the pier, with the roped people flying over the pier at 20 ft. Lol. As for me, putting in work!!! Caught two dozen cigar minnows to feeline under a rattle bobber and some new circle hooks. Missed some fish, and bait stolen plenty of times, only to land a monster needle fish, some small snapper that was brown and yellow , and a 13" Spanish Mack..

Nice catch, thats hilarious about the rock fish I hope those kids are okay lol. What did you use for bait, pilchards? I fish there twice a week or so, usualy just catch undersized yellow tails, but I don't keep them. However, I've seen that people are keeping undersized fish, the FWC gives some pretty hefty fines for that stuff, one fish can cost you 20 or so fishing trips money wise lol.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Fished it Saturday night around 7-11pm. If a relaxing evening of fishing is your goal, DON'T go there on a weekend! Freaking kids running around screaming the whole time I was there. :mad: Besides that, it was a total trash-fest; trash all over except in garbage cans, only trash fish caught (ladyfish), and last but not least, the trash-yelling crowd that can always be counted on to bring the extra-loud, trashy-sounding boomboxes playing trash "music". Of course the icing on the cake... I got skunked. :eye: Left the place wondering, what the heck was it that I enjoy about fishing so much??? :scratch:

redskull35
Fisher

Post by redskull35 »

BEOWULF wrote:Fished it Saturday night around 7-11pm. If a relaxing evening of fishing is your goal, DON'T go there on a weekend! Freaking kids running around screaming the whole time I was there. :mad: Besides that, it was a total trash-fest; trash all over except in garbage cans, only trash fish caught (ladyfish), and last but not least, the trash-yelling crowd that can always be counted on to bring the extra-loud, trashy-sounding boomboxes playing trash "music". Of course the icing on the cake... I got skunked. :eye: Left the place wondering, what the heck was it that I enjoy about fishing so much??? :scratch:
Lol, sorry to hear about your adventure. I don't think the trash guy works on the weekends so thats why when I go on the weekends (I use to till I noticed this) there was trash all over. Honestly, I feel bad for that poor fellow coming in on mondays. There hasn't been too much caught at pompano lately, mostly its 2-3lb bluefish and a couple lady fish, oh and I noticed a nice baracuda, but besides that nothing. Maybe it's just that I've been using pilchards as bait, tried using shrimp and the small coral fish destroyed it in seconds.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Had the day off from work today and went back for more punishment. :roll: However, only a few (and civilized) people were out there for a change, and I actually fished in peace! Didn't get any snappers like I planned, but a few big blue runners and a cero mack made things interesting.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Okay, all you dudes out there are always talking about giving back to the sport, right? Well, I fished Pompano today from about 8 till around nooner. I was hoping the rain might have brought a few fish around. Flat, clear water, tiny north current and overcast. It was really slow, but there were a few snook prowling the bait schools. No bites, but, I did meet Mick and Sebastian from Austrailia. Mick had his son, Ethan (4) with him and Sebastian had his two daughters, Sam (12) and Alex (10). They weren't catching much with a 4/0 hook, three oz sinker and wire leader of questionable pound test, so I contributed two Sabiki rigs and showed them how to jug baits. The kids were having a ball catching 5 or 6 at a time, which was like reeling in a tuna for them. Both dads were taking lots of pics and videos. Then, I showed the dads how to freeline a livey. Boom. Sebastian scores a 17 inch cuda. Photo op! Next, we started using some shrimp on the biki's and catching all sorts of reef/aquarium fish; wrasse, grunts, spots, small parrots and even a big old file fish. Sam said she thought they were in an oceanography class or something. They had rented a condo someplace down the beach and will be here till the end of August. They said they had a blast and would be fishing more, later in the week. They wanted to go out and buy some more equipment, eh? Needless to say, I was glad to see all the smiles and knew the rest of their vacation/holiday would be fun filled. I guess you don't always have to catch something to have a good time. Oh, if I'm ever Down Under, I've got a free place to stay. I'm seriously thinking about that now. Coo, it's a bit of all right, Mate! Out.
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Sounds like you really made their day/week. Good job man.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Yep, it was pretty dead, but I walked away with a nice big cero. I had to muscle that fish away from a huge cuda. It was SO close, l had to make that mack fly out of the water with the cuda's jaws snapping at its tail! Got lucky I guess. :reeling:

feesh sumbeesh
Fisher

Post by feesh sumbeesh »

Right on b'wolf. Hope that brings folks like us a little good karma. Good fishing to ya , and hope to run into ya out there man.

jaekger
Fisher

Post by jaekger »

Took my son to Pompano Pier late in the day on thursday, stayed until just after dark. Lots of bait fish, but not much action. Saw 2 snappers brought in and a small spanish mackerel. A couple of guys had some really good hits off the end of the pier, but lost the fish.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Nice little outting man. 8)

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

triedn pompano pier this afternoon from about 3 pm till around 8 pm, it was raining and pouring the whole time, but bait was absolutely everywhere, reminded me of Dania. large ladyfish were being caught all afternoon in the rain, most of them exceeded 2 feet in length. I had a few hit and misses on my x rap but got nothing!!! :mad: I had one big snook chase it down very aggressively only to abandon at the last second, same with the lady fish, my leader may have been to heavy and they saw it.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

not to mention this guy who probably brought like at least a 4 lb bag of marijuana with him, it was rather odd.

feesh sumbeesh
Fisher

Post by feesh sumbeesh »

Fished from noon until 4 pm. Solid amount of pillchards and cigar minnows all along the pier. The wind felt like it was 20 knots or less after a down pour here and there with a south to north current. Seen a couple big snook cruising around under neath the pier. I managed to only catch bait, hound fish lol and a 16" blue fish I gave away.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

chris21 wrote:not to mention this guy who probably brought like at least a 4 lb bag of marijuana with him, it was rather odd.
LOL

willyescoto2226
Fisher

Post by willyescoto2226 »

Was on pompano Pier on Monday from 5:00 till 10:00pm. Lots of bait everywhere. Notice that the only bait that was taking hits was shrimp. Caught small grunts but little ones.

My question is where the help are the pompano. Isint called pompano Pier.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

yes because it is located in Pompano Beach :mrgreen:

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

S'up, dudes? Just got back from three weeks in Jacksonville; my mom's in the hospital from a really bad car accident and recovering. But, I did manage to hit Pompano on 9-11. I put my AMERICAN flag up just before sunup :patriot: , observed a moment or two of quiet meditation and prayer, and then pointed the car east. Got there in time for the morning bite. Bait was there in force. Two jerks with a 6' cast net, catching 100's of pilchards and cigar minnows, takin what they wanted and then leaving them all on the deck to dry in the sun. Couldn't help it; I went off on them really bad. Told them to clean up their mess. They didn't. They left. Just as well. :auto: The whole day was blue runner day. Snapper rig, two circle hooks, 1 oz weight, dead shrimp or squid. Simply walk to the tee, drop and reel before you hit bottom. Just that fast. Had a blast on my ultralight combo. Released most of em, but kept a few big ones to fillet. My English Bulldogs are on a raw diet and they love sushi and sashimi. :chef: Just have to cut out the rear lateral line and cutwater (choking hazzard). Really had fun just catching and releasing. It was good therapy for me. And my bullies said........."BURP". Tight lines, my brothers of the wooden plank! Out!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nice report, sounds like a good day of therapy.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Greetings, my Brothers of the Wooden Plank! Fished Pompano this morning from about 7 till around 11:30 a.m. East wind kept you cool, south current, tide declining and the water quality was nasty, to say the least. All the canal/brackish water from the inlet came south and the water turned that puke green/almost black color that everybody hates. Slight wave action and some weed interspersed. Saw one barely qualifying mac come over the rail and a couple more lost to cut offs or thrown hooks. But, it was runners again, around 8, 10, 12 inches, but the bite was scattered. They hit mostly float rigs, trailing a small treble hook or feather. Saw a couple caught on cut bait, too. But, the water color made it difficult. Bait was all under the tee and no prob getting it. Water color also made it really tuff to see any snook. Oh, they were there, but they were wearing that bottom patterned camoflague. Hey, a jellyfish with a piece of sargasso weed could have really been a snookie. Who knows. Also, the entire Vietnamese village of Ifit Swims Eatit was out there, but Alex said not to worry because they'd all leave around 9:30 because all the nail salons open up at 10. He was right! The bite tapered off severely around 11:15, and my meter ran out. So...... :drunk: Tight lines, Brothers! Out!

PeirRat1985
Weekend Warrior

Post by PeirRat1985 »

Vietnamese village of Ifit Swims Eatit lawl that really made me laugh :cheers:

willyescoto2226
Fisher

Post by willyescoto2226 »

but Alex said not to worry because they'd all leave around 9:30 because all the nail salons open up at 10. He was right! [quote][/quote]

you made my night a little better. Still in tears from laughing to much. Good that i did not go then. Should get better in october when the cold fronts swing by us. But good luck with the crowds on that pier. Specially when pompano is schooling by.

Hey at least you went fishing.

mickreedindy
Fisher

Post by mickreedindy »

fished the lighthouse areain the am and ended up with a nice cuda, and decent jack... stoped by pompano andwas dead.... no bait as it hasbeen that way for over a week now..... maybe better this weekend with the weather change.

NotRight
Fisher

Post by NotRight »

WetWillie rocks. That is all. :viking:

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

Ok I been fishing pompano every morning for a hour and a half except a occasional saturday for haircut and sunday which you can most often catch me on Anglins,,, this last blow has been ok but not like the last,,,this week every morning jacks ,bluefish and mac's,, yesterday I caught a small cero,,, today I went out being greeted by rain,, I threw my xrap about 20 times but nothing bit,,, there was a small school of mullet but there was nothing on them while they were slowly heading south. I did manage to hook up 12 juvi- pomps on a pink jig... bigger ones should start running soon I hope

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Sounds good man atleast you saw some pomp action, good signs for a run a head. :thumright:

noonburg
Fisher

Post by noonburg »

We just caught 5 small pompano on frozen shrimp, at around dusk.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Hey man maybe some keepers will hit next time.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”