Juno Fishing Pier Reports 2011-2012 "Reports Only"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Juno Fishing Pier Reports 2011 "Reports Only"

Post by crashmister »

JunoChris wrote:No offense but that report couldnt be farther from the truth. Moonfish, croakers, and a couple snake mackeral is what has been there. The bait went past the pier one day. The end of the pier is 8 ft deep right now and it will be a miracle if that place holds bait this year.

The kings are thick off the pier in 90 to 110 but arent coming in shore.
That's a darn shame Chris. Juno used to bo one of the best if not the best pier on this coast.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

caught a nice 7 foot tippy sunday on the pier while snook fishin thats about it ill post pics later. no bait and a few moonfish and 1 snook. other than that some pompano every now and then.
STEELERS

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

JunoChris wrote:The end of the pier is 8 ft deep right now
Do you know what's caused this?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

BEOWULF wrote:
JunoChris wrote:The end of the pier is 8 ft deep right now
Do you know what's caused this?
Beach renourishment

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

Tippy off the pier. we beached him to get a few pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEELERS

Eatsomerice
Fisher

Post by Eatsomerice »

I haven't caught poop the past 3 sundays i have gone. I had a few pomps but that's about it.......

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

A late report for Sat the 19th....fished the pier from daylight till about 1 pm. First thing in the morning, there were a few threads around that could be caught on a sabiki if you could reach them, but a lot of the time they were staying just out of reach. There wasn't anything chewing on them however. The threads only stayed around for the first couple hours then disappeared. Snook are starting to stack under the pier, but they weren't very hungry. Only heard of one making it up onto the planks and it was 1" too short....a couple others hooked but not landed. There was the odd sp mack around, but only saw one of those landed and it was on the smallish side. Other than that, I saw nothing caught worth mentioning.

phino
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phino »

was gonna try to take my pops to this spot next week since he wanted to try new fishing grounds. this pier gone to crap or something? just saying because of the posts i'm hearing regarding the depth, how it's changed, etc. Other than that. thanks for any tips in advanced.
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Fished the beach around the peer the last few days. Monday and Tuesday the conditions were great with huge waves and strong current. Had a beast Snook come vertical out of the water after my zara spook and saw jacks the size of a bear in the waves at the second break.

Problem was the surfers were out in full force so it was hard to fish. Even way off the the side I had some idiot surf right into my braid. I was trying to get him to chill for a second since I had a giant badonkadonk tied on but he ignored me and tossed my line to the side and kept going. Amazed he didn't get hooked.

Snook were all the way up on the beach at points. Bait pods are bubbling through but only for about 30 mins just before/after sunrise/set.

Missed two Snook. A few blue runners on top water and jerk bait but no good fish. Took the surf rod ad fr mullet to try and reach the biggerfish but the water was calm and they were nowhere to be found. Bait kept getting bitten in half.

mikep
Fisher

Post by mikep »

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep yall updated.

FishOnGuy
Fisher

Post by FishOnGuy »

I went Sunday morning/afternoon. Had a few bites, mid pier. Saw a guy catch a snook with a goofy! Too small though. Saw some more snook getting reeled and netted but too small. Those kids runnin around kept catching little bait fish. Going back Friday. Gonna try a goofy!

bbegovic1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bbegovic1 »

Snook showing up yet in good numbers or is it still a bit early?

rngriley
Fisher

Post by rngriley »

Head some snook are there, bait is another story.

anubis10111
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anubis10111 »

thinking of going to juno tomorrow. Is anybody catching anything good lately. are there any Macs or pompano bitting? any Info will b aprecciated.
R.I.P. Johnny
10/31/69-02/06/08

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

I know the Snook have been fairly good up there this past week according to a facebook post backed with pics.
Fish like its the last cast you will ever make.

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

little deans everywhere spanish and cero macs there but not that thick. i got one nice size mac and my buddy gave me 2 little spanish for dinner. lost lots of mongo snook lately on threadfins and butter fish good luck and tight lines :reeling:
STEELERS

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

big one on top was 28 inches caught him on 6 pound test :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEELERS

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

a few macs decent size. and a few snook. Something i saw today that made me very angry!!! it was by the second hut a little boy caughta 25 pound snook which was really really awesome he was so happy and the guy he was with was pretty excited to. my friend let him use his net to bring the snook up and told him specificilly to use the net to get the snook back down. after a few pictures and a gut hook cut loose the guy procedes after being told again not to to throw the snook over the edge and bellyflop the breeding female onto the surface. about 3 minutes later it was floating stiff on the top towards jupiter inlet. made me a little angry :mad: just watch out for people like this who really dont care about health of fish and educate them differently. other than that it was a pretty good day :reeling:
STEELERS

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

What an absolute waste of a precious creature.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Nice mackeral. Sucks about the snook, it happens all the time, people are too freaking lazy to take the extra minute to lower them back in a net. Let the snook be this time of year and make babies in peace, it means more slot fish for everyone.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

sn00kslayer wrote:a few macs decent size. and a few snook. Something i saw today that made me very angry!!! it was by the second hut a little boy caughta 25 pound snook which was really really awesome he was so happy and the guy he was with was pretty excited to. my friend let him use his net to bring the snook up and told him specificilly to use the net to get the snook back down. after a few pictures and a gut hook cut loose the guy procedes after being told again not to to throw the snook over the edge and bellyflop the breeding female onto the surface. about 3 minutes later it was floating stiff on the top towards jupiter inlet. made me a little angry :mad: just watch out for people like this who really dont care about health of fish and educate them differently. other than that it was a pretty good day :reeling:
This guy you're talking about is my friend, and did not know the kid at all, he was just helping the kid land a fish of a lifetime. We are very conservation-minded when it comes to fish, especially snook. Ask anyone and I'm the first one that looks out for the health of the species. That snook was fought from the surf to the T, gut hooked to the absolute max. My friend could not have done anything about that. When the fish was released FACE FIRST into the water, not bellyflopped, it was bleeding excessively and floated right back up. There is nothing that anyone could do about that. It wouldn't have made a difference what he had done, he could have lowered the fish in the net too and it still would have bled. And then you would be posting about how some stupid kid took too long to lower the snook in the net. Maybe your friend should yell at the 7-year old kid to stop gut hooking snook?? We caught a bunch of other overslots, all hooked in the lip, all of which swam away strong to fight another day. We also helped other strangers land another 10-15 overslots safely with the net too, since we do not like flipping fish, it hurts the fish.

It's fishing. It's not like he wanted the fish to die. We're all out there to catch big fish without taking from the environment. Sometimes accidents happen. In this case it was a 7 -year old gut hooking a snook. Sorry dude. Got any more comments, PM me. :chillpill:

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

^^^What he said - while I was not there to know what specifically happened in this case, in general, when we fish (even in the most conservation minded manner), you can expect some level of a mortality rate. It is true that there are measures you can take to greatly reduce that rate. But unfortunately, as long as we play the game, it's just a fact we have to deal with. And when it comes to kids and spreading the tradition to newer generations, I cut them some serious slack unless they're doing something completely blantant and disrespectful (and even then I'm careful with how I approach that situation)

But with that said, I think every patron on that pier should be reminded that snook are indeed out of season and are a 'catch and release' target as we speak. And they should be handled in the best possible way to ensure the best chance of survival.

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

ya i didnt say anything about flipping out on the next person you see throw a snook over the edge u just gotta remind them about being conservation minded. i was kinda upset yesterday but i understand the fish was badly guthooked but it wouldve looked better for fisherman everywhere to put it in the net and lower it down. im not a critical person at all trust me. i make a lot of mistakes thanks for clearin your friends name i aint tryin to be an jerk or callin him a jerk im just usin this as a reminder to help people know to use the nets.
STEELERS

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

congratz to that kid for the snook had to be bigger than him by a lot!
STEELERS

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

I had a couple old friends visiting from out of town yesterday, went for a walk on the pier and saw the same thing...a group of kids had a snook, they tried for a while to net it (but their net was too small), then they somehow handlined it up, and tossed it back off where it did a bellyflop. It did swim away but I wouldn't be surprised if it died. Guys, please, please put them back in the net to lower them down.

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Any reports of bonies yet out off the pier?

Floridahogfish
Old Salt

Post by Floridahogfish »

When your guys bait stays then you will have bonnies
Team Ruff Around The Edges
"Make Money Take Money"

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

Albacized wrote:Any reports of bonies yet out off the pier?
you and i are the only ones it seems that just want to know if bonita are hitting. i use them for bait so thats why i fish the pier once or twice a year. but i dont think i will make an appearance any time soon.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Fished from about 1-6 today, a few snook coming up, I lost 2 on live mullet, I wasn't standing next to my rod both times and they got me on the pilings. Hooked a ~50 lb tarpon on a pilchard and fought him for about 5 minutes before it frayed through my 50 lb leader, got about 5 or 6 good jumps out of it. Other then that it was slow, plenty of bait around, and some boo runnas to keep the masses happy.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”