Pompano Fishing Pier 2012 "ONLY REPORT"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2012 "ONLY REPORT"

Post by Zebco »

8) If the water is dirty and choppy, don't bother inside. Go to the end, fish directly southeast.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Zebco wrote:8) If the water is dirty and choppy, don't bother inside. Go to the end, fish directly southeast.
thanks for the advice Zeb :thumright:
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Okay, wait! Are you telling me I have groupies now, and I have to feed them cheeseburgers? Me and my posse? Look out googans. That's how we roll, bro! And have you ever noticed, after you eat Wendy's or Taco Bell, you can't get the smell off your fingers? It's a good cover for after a day at the pier. Don't wash your hands, just change the smell. Works for me. Where's my rum? Out, Posse!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

I want a cheeseburger :mrgreen:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

by the way here is a pic of my catch, not bad for being there for a little time only, it was absolutely delicious!! porgy was 19 inches and was over 2 pounds.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished Pompano this morning, 7 to about 11, low tide, screaming surf, carpets of seaweed, east wind blasting and rain clouds on the horizon. Had to nail your feet to the planks to keep your place at the rail. J/K. Saw some fatty pomps coming over the rail and some serious smiles on the fishers' faces. And the macks at the tee were on overdrive. I got 8 and only lost one Gotcha. Got off cheap. Heading back tomorrow and I'll be better prepared. I just hope it's not just blowfish tomorrow. :nilly:

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

Sporadic schools of macks came through this morning along with a few nice pomps. I left around 8 30ish when the bite slowed down
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Fished today from 7-8:30 Am. Caught a pomp on the first cast, and then didn't see much else happen in the time I was there. I think one mack was caught off the T. Wind was dead and water was clear.
Hold Fast

willyescoto2226
Fisher

Post by willyescoto2226 »

Was at the pier today in the morning. Macs where there. Not in good numbers but pretty big one where Cought . Tons of gogs at the T . Left at 11.00 am with two big macs that ate going to be my dinner. Only wish they where pompanos . Till next time. Arrivederchi.

willyescoto2226
Fisher

Post by willyescoto2226 »

Has anybody had any luck catching pompano ?

icer25
Fisher

Post by icer25 »

Went over to the pier this morning. The water was crystal clear and flat. Fishing with live shrimp caught a couple under size 10" yellow tail and gray snappers. Sent them back in. saw nothing else.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

thanks for the reports everyone!! gotta head back soon and hopefully Eric will be there

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished Pompano this morning, 7 to about 10:30 a.m. Low tide, dirty water, that dark green canal looking stuff, slight south current and a nice northeast wind. A lot more sargasso weed all over, making it difficult to jig. Expected the pomp and mack bite to be on, but........only saw one pomp (keeper) and 3 small macks come over the rail. I heard yesterday was even worse. Oh, yeah, one large rabbit fish (about 5 pounds) came in off the tee and was immediately released. I think the outfall of tide water from the inlet drifted south and chased the serious biters away. Pier was also packed early with sunrise service people, after they filled two lanes of the parking lot to celebrate Easter. Maybe later in the week...............Oh, yeah, for those who asked, I was celebrating my b-day today and breaking in my new outfit that I got for a present. That was me on the tee, jigging my arms off. Who needs a gym workout when you can cast and enjoy it so much more than a treadmill?

speedy3kgt
Fisher

Post by speedy3kgt »

Was out there early morning (530AM) with Icer, getting some Ladyfish slices into the rising tide. It was nice out, waves cracking on the beach, just enough current. No bites until sunrise, when at 7am every line in the water started pulling in Macs. I would look down the pier and I could see Macs on the end of the line flying over the rail several at a time. We weren't ready for this. I learned that the tools for the trade are white crappie jigs, and Got-cha jigs. In the end it was alright. We pulled in two Macs and a small cuda. Will be out there tomorrow early again with the newly purchased Jigs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

nice going man, the crappie jigs and the gotchas are no doubt the best and hottest lures to use for the macks there

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Ya same for us here at the skyway piers. What kind of crappie jigs you guys use? I just usualyl buy a wal mart pack, but ive bent the hooks on a couple of them haha.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

White pompano jigs also work extremely well IMO better than crappie jigs cause they are more durable

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Ah, I have only used the orange nylure pompano jig with a chrome head. Ill try white next time.

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

[googlevideo]Pompano pier is closed till monday for the seafood festival,, word is that they are using the pier for a vip section,,,, I guess the vip's dont have to get their feet sandy,, what a joke[/googlevideo]

drago4951
Fisher

Post by drago4951 »

My daughter wanted to go surfing this morning but it was too wild for her. Since I was up I decided to go to the Pompano Pier. Didn't expect much to happen but I wanted to get out of the house. It was very windy and the waves were pretty big. As soon as I got there I put cut bait on one rod, squid on the other, and I had a waxwing on the smaller rod. First two cast of the waxwing I could see mac's chasing it.

Thinking to my self this might be a good day. Well that the farthers thing from the truth. I was there from 9 am to 12 pm and those two chasers were the closes thing to action that I saw all day. I would pull up my two bottom rods after a half hour to an hour and my bait was still on there. Not good.

I did have the pleasure of speaking to Beowulf on the pier for some time. Beowulf it was a pleasure meeting you. I hope the next time we meet we will both do better. All in all for the 3 hours I was out there the only thing that came over the rail was a 13 inch Pomp.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Good to meet you too Drago. It's a first, actually, I usually get blank stares whenever I ask people if they're on "the Boatless website" lol.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

BEOWULF wrote: I usually get blank stares whenever I ask people if they're on "the Boatless website" lol.
I usually wear my boatless shirt so people on this site can identify me while Im fishing and so I can get familiar with more folks on here,

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Guess I better buy a shirt, guys! Happy Mother's Day, everybody! Fished Pompano today, from about 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. East wind, low tide, kind of a northwest current towards the beach (wierd) good waves, dirty water and lots of weed. Originally thought it would be perfect for macks, but that was not to be. Caught one monster spot and a couple biggie Maharras (Sp?). Bait consisted of pilchards (really big ones) out at the end.....you can't call it a "T", it's more like an octagon. The southeast corner is fenced off for repairs or something. I'll find out later. You can still fish the south and east rails. One really good googan sighting made the whole trip worth it. This guy, his wife, daughter and son all come out just near the end and rig up 6 oz sinkers with double, probably, 5/0 hooks and little pieces of cut shrimp. I mean, maybe half a fingernail size. They fish for about five minutes. Wife & kids get bored and head for the beach, leaving dad to fend for himself. They reach the entrance to the pier and his rod goes off. He battles and lands a 10 inch runner. That must have been an Academy Award for him because he wants to share his catch. He starts bellowing like a moose at his family, in a blasting wind, 200 yards away. Of course, they don't hear him. So, he starts jumping and waving and screaming and whistling. What a great show. Just for fun, these two other guys went over and started helping him scream and yell and jump! I shoulda videoed the whole thing but I was laughing so hard I couldn't hold my cell phone still enough. Then, he realizes they can't hear him (them) or see him, he gets pissed and tosses the runner back and pouts. That's where I left him around 11. I didn't know a guy's voice could go that high. Before I looked, I thought it was a woman screaming like somebody put an eel down her back or something. :scratch: Tight lines, my Brothers! Out! :dude:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Been trying to spot you for a while Mr. Wetwillie.

Looks like I missed a great comedy show this morning, lol.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Beo, I'm the guy with the ponytail and the smirk on his face, like I'm up to something. By the way, I usually am. I love messing with the tourists!

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

Was out on the pier this morning,, finally some clean water out there,,,, I myself caught a keeper sized flounder on a pilchard,,,, seen a couple of snapper and a few mac's come over the rail also. the coolest thing this morning was watching the Space Shuttle being barged south on its way to Texas,,, looked like it was floating on its landing gear... Definitely a sight to remember... Tight lines all

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) It wasn't the Space Shuttle. It was a fake made for NASA 20 years ago.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

koji52
Fisher

Post by koji52 »

I've been lurking this website for a couple months...new to fishing but loving it now. We typically go to pompano pier early mornings on the weekend. Yesterday there were a fair number of mackeral brought up mostly from the southern corner.

bulld0g62
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bulld0g62 »

Any good size bait hangin at pompano??
just remember, fishing is cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”