Sebastian Inlet "Fishing Reports" 2013

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
tears143
KING MACKEREL

Re: Sebastian Inlet "Fishing Reports" 2013

Post by tears143 »

Went fishing today for pompano...

First we headed to St. Patrick AFB and there was weeds when fishing... no good...

Then head over to Sebastian Inlet and got there around 11am. As usually, the end was hitting black drums and sheepheads. There were macks jumping from time to time. People were catching them with gotcha plug, once in a while. Around 3pm, you can see macks jumping everywhere and yet only a few were caught with gotcha plug.
Also, a slot snook was landed with a live pinfish in the inlet. One was also lost. A bunch of catfish was stealing bait left and right. Jacks was here and there. We ended up with 2 pompano, 1 slot red, jacks, a blue runner, and a few macks that was gave to us. All in all, I think it's a slow day... comparing to the amount of people on the pier to people catching fish. Only people that were catching some good amount of fish... is the end. Probably 1-2 fish per person. Most of the time they would get their limit.

Also a rant.... Surfer keep on getting close to the pier at 3/4 of the way to the end... Park ranger came out and yell at them. FWC came out and talk to the fishmen about casting into the water... etc. Just a bunch of troubles. I think I saw the FWC giving out tickets to people at the end or something. She was talking to them for quite a long time and writing some stuff on a piece of paper...(ticket?)

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

I'll be getting a chance to fish the inlet . I want to target sharks , and was wondering which direction (North or south) , does an outgoing tide run , along the beach . I 'm thinking of floating out a bait , from the jetty , and letting it travel south , so I can move to the beach and fish there . Is this a possibility ? I see that quite a few sharks are caught there , so I'm sure that there is a proven system of doing this . I'm only going to have one shot at this , so I'd really appreciate any advice . Thanks guys.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

That floating trick does work. I prefer fishing from the beach though to avoid the crowds. I'm assuming you won't have a kayak to paddle baits out, but if you have surf casting gear, launching out a chunk of mackeral will work especially at night. If you're feeling crazy, you could put it in a little bucket and swim it out. Dont have to go too far, but I definitely wouldn't do that at night.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Sandy Feet wrote:I'll be getting a chance to fish the inlet . I want to target sharks , and was wondering which direction (North or south) , does an outgoing tide run , along the beach . I 'm thinking of floating out a bait , from the jetty , and letting it travel south , so I can move to the beach and fish there . Is this a possibility ? I see that quite a few sharks are caught there , so I'm sure that there is a proven system of doing this . I'm only going to have one shot at this , so I'd really appreciate any advice . Thanks guys.
If it's outgoing tide, it'll travel north. The thing with Sebastian Inlet is that it's usually pack at the end of north pier and it's also a long walk from the north pier to the beach. That's why you see a lot of the catch is from the south side.

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

Thanks for the info , guys . I appreciate it . Larry

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

hooked three but got this one

snook123
Weekend Warrior

Post by snook123 »

Nice fish, I'm going to be up there early next week, sunday, monday, and maybe tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to get on some fish, but I may not be boatless for the trip.
- Jimmy

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Nice catches. I'm ready to get down there and play with the sharks again. How's conditions lookin there?

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

hundreds of redfish being caught throught the nights of the week!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Sweet! Probably not gona be there very late though, but maybe ill get lucky. Hows the surf and seaweed?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

FWC can make a killing if they hit that place when the reds are running. Never seen sso much poaching of illegal size fish other than snapper on the Keys bridges.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Every time I went people were releasing the slobs.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Didn't see any reds yesterday but I was fishing from the south beach. Had two rods soaking shrimp, but they kept getting picked apart by some small fish. Tried for a shark too. Water was clear and the swells weren't too powerful, but it was just too damn choppy to launch the yak, so I just cast a piece of bluefish as far as I could. The wind made that difficult but I still hooked a nice one. Felt like it woulda been my biggest but after about 30 minutes, my shock leader gave out. Think I laid into the drag too early :roll:

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

I've been watching some of the reports and seems like nothing but bull reds are getting caught at night. All over 20lbs.

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

Can anyone tell me how the fishing generally is , at Ft Pierce inlet . Does it generally compare to Sebastion, or not . I'm getting a chance to fish there in Feb , and was wondering if I had a fair shot at a Red . Any and all advice is appreciated . Thanks

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Ft pierce is really nice too! I was there around march last year and people were doing well on the black drum and blues but it is famous for its snook fishing... I know permit have also been caught there. I don't know if it is common for reds to be caught there though? Usually when people are looking to specifically target reds they fish north of Sebastian...

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

fishboy wrote:Ft pierce is really nice too! I was there around march last year and people were doing well on the black drum and blues but it is famous for its snook fishing... I know permit have also been caught there. I don't know if it is common for reds to be caught there though? Usually when people are looking to specifically target reds they fish north of Sebastian...
Thanks for the lnfo . I must have lived a sheltered life , or something , but I know nothing about black drum . What's the specific way of fishing for them , and are they good eating ? I'm only getting this one chance to go there , so I'd really appreciate any help . Thanks again .

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Sandy Feet wrote:
fishboy wrote:Ft pierce is really nice too! I was there around march last year and people were doing well on the black drum and blues but it is famous for its snook fishing... I know permit have also been caught there. I don't know if it is common for reds to be caught there though? Usually when people are looking to specifically target reds they fish north of Sebastian...
Thanks for the lnfo . I must have lived a sheltered life , or something , but I know nothing about black drum . What's the specific way of fishing for them , and are they good eating ? I'm only getting this one chance to go there , so I'd really appreciate any help . Thanks again .
stinky shrimp and clams will be your main bait. Black drum are really good eating if they are small. 14"-25" are the tasty one.

as for Ft. Pierce, there was a time when I was there and the bait fish was push against the rocks. I just grab one and toss it 5 feet out and count to 5. Fish on!!! 10-15lbs jacks, bull red, snook... etc. It was a crazy day.

Other time it's slow... There's a good amount of space to fish there... so you got to do the walking.

edddieo
Fisher

Post by edddieo »

:happyfisherman: put on a live shrimp free line him ......and get ready
tears143 wrote:
Sandy Feet wrote:
stinky shrimp and clams will be your main bait. Black drum are really good eating if they are small. 14"-25" are the tasty one.

as for Ft. Pierce, there was a time when I was there and the bait fish was push against the rocks. I just grab one and toss it 5 feet out and count to 5. Fish on!!! 10-15lbs jacks, bull red, snook... etc. It was a crazy day.

Other time it's slow... There's a good amount of space to fish there... so you got to do the walking.

edddieo
Fisher

Post by edddieo »

sheep head flounder drum gotta put your time in

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”