Sebastian Inlet "Fishing Reports" 2013

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
tears143
KING MACKEREL

Re: Sebastian Inlet "Fishing Reports" 2013

Post by tears143 »

Thanks for the report.

How big were the mango? The greenies there are small right? (so don't need to cut them up?)

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

The biggest one was 14" and fat... The rest of them were all 10-11 inches... The greenies are small, but if you search around the inlet, you can find some bigger ones(2"-3"). Those are the ones I prefer. Good luck out there!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Thanks man for all the information. Good luck at jetty park...

By the way, how do you get after dark at jetty park and does it still cost you?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I am from Orlando and Jetty Park is closer to me... Thing is I never know how to fish Jetty park and I got the family pass for statepark so it might be cheaper for me to go to SI.

I got to learn how to fish Jetty park and hit there more often.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Fished SI Last night... from 6pm - 12am

When we got there and tried to get some bait, saw a stinger with 3 mango on them at the tide pool. When the guy came back from his swimming, I talked to him and he said he got like 6-7 of them but only kept that many. I also saw a guy fishing there that leave his reel and rod underwater... except the tips of his rod... guess he want to buy a new reel... There's plenty of bait at the tide pool.

After we got bait, we headed to the north pier..When we got there, we heard people were catching mango off and on. We kept walking until we saw some mango on the side of the pier. We rigged up and planned to catch them, but they wouldn't bite... >.<

From the time we were there to the time we left... we saw people catching catching mango, just not us LOL. There's a good number of mango being caught there.

Around sunset, a lady behind us hook onto something big on the inlet side and when I was trying to fish that side as well, I heard popping sound coming behind us. I quick ran to the other side and look at what is causing the popping sound. Arm with a 10lbs leader(for snapper) grabbed a new bait and toss it into a huge school for fish that was chasing the bait. The instant my bait hit the water something grab it, I set the hook and started to fight it. It ran back and forth, then a big current took it into the pilling and I tried to increase the drag so it won't run into it. Popped goes the line... I quick grab my other rod with the same setup but with a 20lbs leader. Got a new bait and toss it right back in, Bam! fish on again. I landed the fish this time and found out it's a big school of jack. Looked behind me and finally the lady pulled up a big jack as well. After a few more jacks was landed, including another one for me, the sun has gone down.

Then suddenly the inlet side started getting everyone rod bend over, left and right. I quick grab a bait and toss it to the inlet side... counted to 3 and bam! Fish on. This time, it pulled my drag like crazy... I started tighten the drag up, more and more. Bam line snapped. I quickly retie the leader line to 40lbs. Proceeded to do the same thing, tossing out a live bait. Again, the rod almost flew out of my hand, this time the fish was jumping like crazy, and we pulled ladyfish up left and right. Losing a lot more than we land. At the end of the night, we went home with 4 ladyfish and 2 jack.

After the jack run then the ladyfish run, there wasn't much else that was bitting... I think the bit stopped at slack tide.. around 10pm. We got to see some shooting star and it was a beautiful night with a wonderful breeze, cannot ask for anything better.

Just got to learn how to catch mango >.<

Bait used was majara and greenies.

******Short version*******
Many mango was caught through the day with majara and greenies... just barely over the size limit.. anywhere there's rocks.
Right at sunset, a school of jacks started killing everything in sight and after that a school of ladyfish came in. There are a few snook in the mix.

Bi0tic
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Bi0tic »

tears143 wrote:Fished SI Last night... from 6pm - 12am

When we got there and tried to get some bait, saw a stinger with 3 mango on them at the tide pool. When the guy came back from his swimming, I talked to him and he said he got like 6-7 of them but only kept that many. I also saw a guy fishing there that leave his reel and rod underwater... except the tips of his rod... guess he want to buy a new reel... There's plenty of bait at the tide pool.
Wait, what?

Sounds like you had some good action :reeling:
I want to Believe

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

It's not bad at all. Very nice evening!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

For the mango's just drop your bait down right next to the. Pilot on slack tide, and you will get some. On the rocks pitch your bait up current and let it drift into the strike zone...

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

went fishing around 6pm and stayed till about 8pm. action was constant on every drift. most hits where from huge ladyfish that always seemed to take the bait but not the hook. i caught one but lost countless! i did get a few jacks but they weren't big like i wanted. also got a 30" redfish just before i was about to leave. tarpon in the 20lb range rollin in the inlet's edge. Goliath grouper on the bottom tryna eat the hooked fish. snook blasting all over the huge schools of passing mullet on the ocean side. reds were also caught in the schools of mullet too. most of them oversize but some to keep. overall it was a steady action this evening.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Sweet! Thanks for the report!!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Thanks for the report! I am going to go to Sebastian for the snook opening day to tangle some lines! ;)

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

ok so who fished Sebastian inlet last night. whats your report.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Fished until 3... ran out of bait... tide changed to incoming and then no bit no nothing.

Total catch
3 huge lady, right after sunset... A school of them came in
1 under size mango
1 snookie... at 11:30pm ...under size anyways :-p

Fish that I saw being caught...
shark, (nuse)
ladies,
Blue,
mango,
jacks....

Not much, maybe because I was at the beginning of the pier and didn't see much.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

better then no fish lol. next time fish the end :wink:

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

fixed80 wrote:better then no fish lol. next time fish the end :wink:
never like the crowds there... so many casting left and right... almost got hit a few time that afternoon with spoons.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Fished the inlet... around 10pm - 4am

A few Over slot snook was caught... a small tiny school of mullet was running (like 10 of them). A bunch of greenies still at the catwalk/tide pool area. There's still a few lady fish being caught at the end. Other than those thing, I didn't see much going on.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

damn! guess im doing better just fishing the beach. :)

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

jelly fish are really bad according to S.I district site.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

fixed80 wrote:jelly fish are really bad according to S.I district site.

Saturday night/ Sunday night when I was there... there were a few of them only... Not as much as it is shown on the picture.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

maybe it will change this week. think i might head down there in the next hour or two.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

fixed80 wrote:maybe it will change this week. think i might head down there in the next hour or two.
I'll be there tomorrow morning.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

fished a few hours today on the north side. lots of gooey weed and a ton of moon jellyfish everywhere. the bite was real slow but picked up a little as the sun slowly went down. bout 1 to 2 lb jacks mainly and a few large ladyfish on live mullet. big mangrove snapper were biting but not sure what those ppl were using. didn't see and snook or reds caught. like i said just small jacks, ladyfish and some snapper. whenever the jelly fish move out and also the weed it will be much better.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

thanks for the report

Let see how I do tomorrow morning. I think I know what the snapper are biting on . ;)
Those bait are a bit hard to get now a day...

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Fished from sunrise to 4pm...

Rain... rain.. rain?? I was soaked wet! Nothing but rain until it stops... then it's snapper after snapper after snapper! Mango and mutton...
The mutton are around 13" bunch of them. There are two slot red that are caught, 2 doormat (around 5lbs, I caught one ;) ) , a bunch of keeper mango, and big mullet running up and down the inlet.

The guys that target the mango pissed me off... they were using J hooks and sometime gut hook the mutton and would pull the hook off. I saw about 3-5 of them floating pass me because they don't want to retied! >.<

I also saw another guy hid a mutton in his castnet bucket with his castnet on top... seriously?
There's my rant for the day.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

well there are always going to be very hungry ppl down there who desperately need something to eat lol :wink: . well at-least you got snapper. what are they biting and which side are you catching them.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Was there from 3pm - 8pm... got two jacks... Missed a few small mango... see people catching a few small mango and that's it. Was fishing the southside on the catwalk.

Bait was hard to find and catch.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

damn thats sucks. might go tomorrow, or today. not sure

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

how bad was the weed?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

There's a few that snag on my line when I am fishing the inlet near the catwalk. I didn't go out to the end so I can't really say how much...

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”