Bakers Haulover Inlet - 2009 Fishing Reports Only

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
NorthDadeNelson
Fisher

Bakers Haulover Inlet - 2009 Fishing Reports Only

Post by NorthDadeNelson »

Morning all,

I headed over to Baker's Haulover Inlet early this morning. Got no strikes. I tossed a topwater plug at first light then switched to a bucktail Jig. I did see a tarpon rolling about 7:30 this morning but I guess he had lots to eat last night being that there was a full moon. Hopefully I will have some pics to show next Saturday. :roll:
Dream like you will live for ever but live like you are dying today. In other words make every moment count.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

KillynTyme
Weekend Warrior

Post by KillynTyme »

Where at the inlet? Last I was there, they had it all blocked off with fencing from the old restaraunt south to the inlet. Even the charter boats had moved.

NorthDadeNelson
Fisher

Haulover inlet

I was fishing south of the fenced erea next to the tennis courts. I have been told it's a good spot. I kinda think it should be a good spot due to the fact that there is a channel that kinda runs close the bank(about 30 yards away.) I am guessing game fish would use the channel and feed near the bank when the tide is right. I am also guessing that an incoming tide would be my best bet. I got there this saturday and the tide was slack and low. The tide actually started comming in about the time I was leaving. I plan on going this Saturday around 4:30am and give it another shot. Hopefully I can catch the the tide going out. :roll:
Dream like you will live for ever but live like you are dying today. In other words make every moment count.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

take a look at this:
now you should be able to know exactly when the tide is going in or out. :wink:

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/340.html

NorthDadeNelson
Fisher

Thanks for the tide chart

Thanks for the link. Now I can figure what time is the best time to get out there, however I am not sure they let you fish there that late at night. I did hear of a new pier or cat walk that is open to the public at Sunny isle. I have a few freinds over at the North Miami Police department and the one of the officers told me of the spot hopefully I will get out there Saturday morning.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

geo
Seasoned Fisher

Post by geo »

where is this catwalk?

NorthDadeNelson
Fisher

New Sunny Isles Catwalk.

Ok from what I remember (DON'T WORRY I WILL CALL MY FREIND TOMMORROW AND GET THE EXACT DIRECTIONS.) You take the bridge going east 163st going into Sunny Isle. Follow that all the way before you get to collins ave. Take the road that says (if I recall correctly) business loop. Ok now you are actuall traveling the oposite way from wich you came. This is where it gets a little blurry. I am not sure if it is towards the right or if you actually make a full circle toward where the boat storage that burned down was. Anyway I am reall sorry for posting without the exact address. I give you my word that tommorrow morning I will get on the phone with my hommie and he will refresh my memory.

The funny things is that I got this information from a boat patrol office ,not sure if that is correct(Boat patrol) anyway I said to him wow I would ove to have your job. He says "yeah I get that alot" I say to him "I probably would get fired for fishing on the job" He say "guess you did'nt the rods on boars. :lol:

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

that would take you right under the bridge... which until last week was open to fishing but now its closed. you cant fish on the docks either, i tried one time and got kicked out by a cop who threatened to arrest me and give me a fat ticket. i got my @$$ out of there quick :lol: . Fishing isnt permitted in that whole area now. under and around the bridge... unless you own any of that multimillion dollar property next to the bridge :lol: . then you can fish all you want.

NorthDadeNelson
Fisher

Your right it can't be there.

I work right around the corner next to the Old Navy and Wind Dixie, and theater. Well I don't work at all three but the company I work for is in that shopping center.

I give you my word that I will have the exact spot today. Yesterday got a little crazy. :oops:

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

newportpierrat
Fisher

Post by newportpierrat »

The inlets packed with tarpon.

I went 0-8 on 150lbers. :shock:

-Outgoing tide
-Stick any live bait on some heavy leader with about three ounces of lead and hold on :D
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYY
,)
>(((((*>
')

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

newportpierrat wrote:The inlets packed with tarpon.

I went 0-8 on 150lbers. :shock:

-Outgoing tide
-Stick any live bait on some heavy leader with about three ounces of lead and hold on :D
what day did you go? what time?

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

:lol: :lol:
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

newportpierrat
Fisher

Post by newportpierrat »

Fished the cut today on the Bal Harbor side.

Lots of glass minows and dink pilchards.
Caught one snook and witnessed a massive Tarpon jack feeding frenzy just out of casting range while I was leaving(considering Ive got a nine foot casting rod they were pretty far :? )

If you want to catch a tarpon fish the outgoing tide.

The snook are stacked up right off the front of the jetty. I was to lazy to get out on those rocks :oops:

BTW if your planning on fishing the paved jetty theres public beach access right after some tennis courts, it's easy to miss so keep an eye out.

Someone should make this the official haulover reports thread
,)
>(((((*>
')

Snapperman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snapperman »

Haulover has been a pain in the arse to fish!!!! :evil:

caprifisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by caprifisher »

Where do you park ,when you fish on the South jetty (Bal harbour side)?

newportpierrat
Fisher

Post by newportpierrat »

Fished the beach leading up to the south jetty with a Yozuri with no takers. As I got close to the jetty a school of about 30 5-10lb jack starts busting bait literally on the beach :shock: Basically I looked like a nutcase running with my heavy tackle bag and fishing rod in hand. the jacks wouldnt hit a yozuri a spoon or a wip jig it seemed as though the only people who were catching them were probably not legal. Lots of smaller size pilchards and glass
minows. Also the snook were right along the rocks in the middle of the cut.

The best way to get out there is to go over the bal harbor bridge heading south and make your second U turn. Then go streight until you can make a right into a drive way which leads up to a remote wooden beach lodge next to some tennis courts public beach access is right there.

The address is 1021 I think I might have posted this already but o well who's counting

Inside info: Crabs + 6 ounce pyramid weights + outgoing tide at night=Take a geuss :D
,)
>(((((*>
')

ricky9
Old Salt

Post by ricky9 »

awesome information newportpierrat!...

NorthDadeNelson
Fisher

Haulover inlet

Mannnnnn. It's been a while. I have'nt had the opportunity to get out there. I plan on hitting it up this saturday morning. I do have new info on
the canals in North Dade, that I will post a bit later.

Awsome info. I can't wait to get out there this weekend. I will post a report. :lol:

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

caprifisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by caprifisher »

Fished today from 6pm to 8pm at the Northwest corner.Got 2 legal mangroves (12 &13 inches)on squid .

JinxTheFlyRodder
Fisher

POACHER ALERT!!! BAKER'S HUALOVER!

Post by JinxTheFlyRodder »

Fished there a few times back in August w/ a buddy, got my first snook on fly (24") then returned a few weeks later and got into the jacks busting bait on the beach, got and released 5 or so, reel screamers on the fly rods.. saw bones on the beach, they wouldn't take, caught my second snook on fly (26"), and of course watched some a-hole try to keep a snook by throwing it in the garbage can, my pal convinced him to put it back in the water, after a brief confrontation, ending in my buddy pulling out his phone and the guy finally threw the fish back.. Some other a-hole was using baby snapper for bait, another was just keepin' them. Some ass caught a permit (26") and dropped it on the pier(I'm assuming to make jerky) alive, and flapping until we left over an hour later, and it still sat... BoneFish were on the beach but wouldn't take.. Really this place needs an FWC to come check on it, it is severely over-fished, and even more under-regulated...
Fly fishing, fly tying, flats fishing. " I want to catch every game fish in Florida on fly." Billiards, and babes.

caprifisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by caprifisher »

I agree , this place needs some regulation .Last week some Lady kept a really small Mutton ,maybe 6-7 inch long .I tried to tell her to let the fish go .She just wouldn't listen.....You can catch legal Mangroves at the NE corner during slack tide. Its actually really fun there ,because you really see the Snapper bite during this time .

jad1097
Seasoned Fisher

Post by jad1097 »

On the NW corner, every time I've thrown out a live pinfish or marjo (or whatever it's called) 15-30 yards out I've been spooled on spinning gear. incoming tide. Bait is almost always on that corner. Been happening to me for decades. You'd think I'd buy bigger reel. :oops: It's always fun though.;)
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason to America. No line can be drawn between the two. . . . There is no America without labor, and to fleece the one is to rob the other."

-- Abraham Lincoln

KillynTyme
Weekend Warrior

Post by KillynTyme »

So the fence is down and you can fish the NW corner of the inlet again?

jad1097
Seasoned Fisher

Post by jad1097 »

I have no idea if it is or not.
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason to America. No line can be drawn between the two. . . . There is no America without labor, and to fleece the one is to rob the other."

-- Abraham Lincoln

caprifisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by caprifisher »

There was a story in the Sunpost a couple of weeks ago ,that said the owners of the Newport Pier(the condo behind) want to give the pier to the City of Sunny Isles for FREE and Sunny Isles didn't decided yet to take the pier or not :shock: !!!! You can fish the NW corner of the inlet ,you just have to take the exit right before the bridge(going southbound) .

juaninmiami69
Weekend Warrior

Post by juaninmiami69 »

If this is the case, I predict that pier will not be fixed at all. The way Sunny Isles is, their priorities will certainly not include the pier. I hope and pray I am proved wrong as I love the Newport Pier. It's where my son and I first began fishing together, so it hold a special place in my heart. If there are any movements to help save that pier, please post so I can join in. Thanks!

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.miamisunpost.com/0816news.ht ... islesbeach

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

I hope they rebuild that pier. What was the pier known for. I've never fished it. I hear it was decent for kings and snapper is that true?
GET THE GAFF!!!

juaninmiami69
Weekend Warrior

Post by juaninmiami69 »

kngfshman wrote:I hope they rebuild that pier. What was the pier known for. I've never fished it. I hear it was decent for kings and snapper is that true?
Yes it is. Plus the snook fishing is pretty good as well. I've caught some nice Pompano and Jack Crevalles also.

jad1097
Seasoned Fisher

Post by jad1097 »

I have many found memories of Newport pier. We used to play on it in the 80's when many, many planks were missing.;) There was even a rope swing. And LOL the wife caught the biggest puffer I ever saw off the t.

Apparently the city has been giving them a hard time for a while. http://www.miamisunpost.com/archives/20 ... intext.htm

-- Abraham Lincoln

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

the pier got messed up pretty bad by the hurricane the decking in the middle of the pier is deformed badly and there is about a 10 ft section where there is no decking at all just water. :shock: dangerous stuff... its gonna take a heck of a repair job to get this pier back up and running :(

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”