Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
miamilaw
Fisher

Re: Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by miamilaw »

Thanks 101. Well I ended up stopping out to Dania Pier last night... Not much going on. Beautiful night, ocean was glassy, small sets coming in, and about 15 surfers. But no bait! Hardly any good fish biting. Hopefully we will get some wind and bait to come in this weekend. I'm itching for that snook bite.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

miamilaw wrote:Thanks 101. Well I ended up stopping out to Dania Pier last night... Not much going on. Beautiful night, ocean was glassy, small sets coming in, and about 15 surfers. But no bait! Hardly any good fish biting. Hopefully we will get some wind and bait to come in this weekend. I'm itching for that snook bite.
Look to the spillways that are open - better bet.

ALTHOUGH - there have been some snook caught at 2 Broward piers that I know of last week, so who knows. At DFP it was mojarra under the T and they were mostly shorts....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

Miamilaw,
There is always some sort of bait under the shack. I recommend a gold hook rig tipped with shrimp.
There will be Mojarra, Shad, small jacks, pinfish, etc..
These can be fish like any other traditional way for macks or snook.
The trick is keeping them alive with either a baitwell or bucket on a rope (holes in bucket w/lid)
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

Fished Dania Pier last night. It twas a beautiful night to fish, but also a crappy night fishing as well.

My buddy got the bug to fish and went and got some fingers. "Bring your live well" he hollered over the phone. I dragged it over there along with the marine battery (friggin beast) and proceeded to set it up. It ran for all of two minutes and quit. Upon inspection I see the bottom plate is deteriating and bits of plastic are getting in the impeller. So off to BPS I go, pump is replaced, and the 2 dozen fingas are frisky. He (my buddy craig "HotDog" is like, "C`mon mennnnggg). And I`m like "Ain't chit happening", and off they go.

I get home and flip the computer on and and I see low/slack tide is about an hour away. So I figgered, "Oh what the heck", and grab some rods and head up there. HotDog is situated darn near center on the pier, hot dog stand and all. I grab my snookie rod with the newell, grab a finger, and off to the T I head. Well, like I said, it was a beautiful night to be out there, just not so go for fishing. I met some guys out there and we shared some tips, brews, and cigs. I can't remember his handle on here but his real name is John, and he with 2 buddies, we occupied the NE corner.

You have to be like, "I`m reading all this and still no fishing reports"? I get to that...

Being a saturday night, all in all, folks out there behaved themselves. No music was blaring, which kind of surprised me for a saturday night. No Salsa/Carnaval, no RAP/R&B, no 80`s rock/techno, just the peace of a beautiful night. A beautiful waning moon sat just over the bait house and slowly crept towards the western horizon. Wind was virtually non-existent but slowly built up from the northwest.

OK, so here`s my report..

Nothing, no, not squat.

I did see a guy catch a mutton, and sneak it into his zippered 6-pack cooler. I hollered at him.."IZZAT legal?" to which he replied "I dunno?". Upon inspection it was all of maybe 6 inches. I was like "Dude, that`a not even close meng" and he quickly dispatched back over board to grow some more.

Oh, and I broke the silence of the night at about 2:00 am when I had a run, quickly dispatched and deck flipped a 3 1/2 to 4 foot gummer. As he was flopping on the deck and I was trying to figger out where the hook was stuck, he broke of so I just grabbed his tail and flung him back over board. then some dude like gets in my face and was questioning why I didn`t want him. I think he would've taken it in a flash. But I told him "No sharks on this pier". The guy that caught the short muttie earlier questioned why that was so and if they were endangered, to which I explained that it`s just a policy of this pier.

After 4 1/2 hours (from 11:30 to 3:30) I finally called it quits. I`m sure the bite turned on as I walked off, ya know, like it always does...

One final cast, to whom ever is pissing all over the john, dat chit is nasty. There were pizz puddles ON TOP of the toilet tank. And why is it no one flushes the head? If you don`t want to touch it with your hand, use your foot. There`s just some nasty MOFOs out there :endrant:
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

beautiful fishing day today from 11-7ish pm
nice wind coming from NE, ballyhoo schools poppin all over the place
pretty good water color, nice current
only downfall, no fish!! :nilly:

well at least until my buddy Ari hooked this 5lber an hour before sunset!!! :dude:
(the mackerel not the puffer :wink: )

fillet, egg, flour, egg, bread crumbs, fry :toast:
i couldnt eat another freakin bight
:chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:

oh yeah, plenty of mullet and sardines in the channel behind the pier :thumright:
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

James@joshuasjigs
Fisher

Post by James@joshuasjigs »

EXCUSE ME!!! But, did anyone see a pompano swim by here? :reeling:
Visit us online at http://WWW.JOSHUASJIGS.COM

JIGS, RIGS, and much more

SPECIALS

HOME OF THE CHEAPEST LEAD IN TOWN
GOG BUGS AS CHEAP AS A $1.00 EACH
SWIMMING JIGS A.K.A. GOOFY JIGS 2 for $3.00

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

ddratler wrote:
well at least until my buddy Ari hooked this 5lber an hour before sunset!!! :dude:
8) I'll still trade you a lovely tasty ladyfish for it.

West Coast Fisherman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by West Coast Fisherman »

Fished from 3-6 yesterday. Not much going on saw that big mack pictured come over, and a small mutt. I did have a few near hits on a gotcha and one hookup which fell off when I went to flip him. (I was the guy throwing the gotcha around near the tee)
ANGLINS PIER

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

Zebco wrote:
ddratler wrote:
8) I'll still trade you a lovely tasty ladyfish for it.
ill take that trade as long as you agree to taste the patties i make with the ladyfish :chef: :biglaugh:

Dani D

Chrisavick
Fisher

Post by Chrisavick »

Figure ill make my 1st post a report, Went to Dania yesterday evening to do a little surf fishing and ended up going 1-3 on snook unfortunately I forgot the camera at home :|.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Welcome and thanks for the report?

How big was the snookie?
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

Chrisavick
Fisher

Post by Chrisavick »

Didnt bring a ruler but i'm guessing around 24-25".

uglycardman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by uglycardman »

GOTANTS... I was wondering if the bite picked up after i left .. This is John.. I was out there with gotant "very nice guy, thanks for the tips" and nothing big or nice was biting caught a few small grunts but thats about it. but just like gotants said verynice night. too bad the fishing wasn't good
You can be a fisherman or a fisher of men or both remember god is love.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Chrisavick wrote:Didnt bring a ruler but i'm guessing around 24-25".
Were you using livies or shrimp?
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

Chrisavick
Fisher

Post by Chrisavick »

I was using a 4" berkley powerbait pogy basically was just casting into the surf by the pier and doing a slow retrieve back. Im gonna be heading back out tonight see if i can get a slot one this time.

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

Fished Fri 6:30- 10:00AM. Pompano croud was out doing nothing. Heard 2-3 fish caught. Spent my time at the T, One guy caught 2 nice macks. He let me use his dead sardines that he caught I believe at Haulover. Only managed small snappers. Did have a medium runner head out, produced a small blacktip. No current but the water did look good. Was nice anyway due that there were not many people out. That's a sign of bad fishing I guess. Oh at first light did see a small pod of poons at the north tip. They were rolling so they did not hit the jig I threw in the pod. They were the small 20-40 pounders. Those are the best to fight for me.

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

fished from around 3:30 to 9:30pm
netted some mullet in the creek, there were some good size schools, but morons jumping into the creek scared them off, ended up with about a dozen

steady wind coming from the north, very few ballyhoo
saw a couple of nice macks caught on freelined strips, and one almost caught on a trollyed ballyhoo

by nightfall plenty of bait came in, mondo herrings and goggleeyes under the lights by the tee
ended up with one 13 inch mango, and 2 reef sharks around 3 and 4 feet

oh yeah it was like 60 degrees with windchill out there :nilly: thang god i wore shoes :wink:
Tommy (zebco) tried calling me a sissy because the air conditioner inside the shack said it was 76 degrees :roll:

Dani D

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) I can call you Ladyfish next time if you like.

Oh, btw............as soon as you left,.....right where you were fishing,

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

Zebco wrote:8) I can call you Ladyfish next time if you like.

Oh, btw............as soon as you left,.....right where you were fishing,
let me guesses, a dude came on the pier with a cooler full of ladyfish and was
paying people to take them off his hands!!!????? :shock: :cyclopsani:

way too predictable tommy :roll: :mrgreen:

Dani D

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

what's going on Dania Pier? no posts in forever!
California-Florida fisherman

SnapperSnatcher
Old Salt

Post by SnapperSnatcher »

theres no fish there any more only googs with trally rigs, bunch of dum asses
''Bobster The Lobster''

SnapperSnatcher
Old Salt

Post by SnapperSnatcher »

lol.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
''Bobster The Lobster''

dave c
Fisher

Post by dave c »

fished dania pier from 1130am to 130pm. caught only 1 tiny runner. saw 1 10 pound cobia caught and 1 5 pound mackeral. nobody else caught anthing else during this time. good wind and water but not many fish. maybe try again sunday. thats my fish report

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

Any Pomps being fished for or caught? Any fleas being raked up and where are they?

Thanks in advance.
I say we fish 5 days and work 2

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for them.

dave c
Fisher

Post by dave c »

i was at dania on friday but did not go on pier. the water was flat calm and crystal clear. my buddy raked about 30 sand fleas. we caught skipjack and runners in the surf next to the pier. have not heard of any pomps caught but we are in for some major wind changes so maybe this week.

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

Dhunter55 wrote:Any Pomps being fished for or caught? Any fleas being raked up and where are they?

Thanks in advance.
fished today from 1:30-6:30pm
wind was howlin from the south, huge swells, lots of current
not much bait swimming around, some guys caught some pilchards, a couple caught some herring
saw 2 nice macks come over the rail about a dozen good size blues and some jacks

the T was too much of a pain in the arse to fish with all the dam lines flyin all over, so my brother hit the beach to catch some fleas. he came back with about 4 dozen which he said were mostly right next to the pier
fished for pomps right outside of the breakers with no luck

Dani D

gofish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by gofish »

Fished the pier yesterday with my son from 11a.m. to 3p.m. like ddratler said the wind was blowing with an occasional drizzle. I fished about 50 yards from the shelter as the T was pretty packed. The bait was there but not easy to come by. My son tried to catch some bait at the T but he was unsuccessful and returned with the sabiki rig rapped round him, something about the wind :shock:......I did see some herring and pilchards caught. The few macks that were brought up were of nice size and there were also some decent size jacks caught. I managed to land 2 bluefish and lost 3 to cutoffs....ddratler where you the young kid fishing near the first benches closest to the entrance around 3p.m.?
Did anyone attend the fisherman's party? It was supposed to be yesterday from 7pm to 9pm. I couldn't go but was wondering if anyone here went...

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

that was my little brother there
i was the guy with the yellow raincoat pants and jacket, with an army hat :thumleft:

Dani D

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”