Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by DeezNuts »

Fished from 1-6ish. Saw some big spanishes caught a couple kings, including my barely keeper. I also beached a 30 inch cobe and set him free to enjoy his youth.

gatorjwade
Old Salt

Post by gatorjwade »

Hi guys, looking for some pointers...

I've been reading about kings and cobia being caught on Deerfield pier. I was wondering what the best approach (bait, rig, etc.) is for each of them from the pier, the best location on the pier (the T?), and generally what the best times of the year are for each.

I've read about trying to lead cobia when they're trailing a large ray, but is there another approach that's fairly productive?

Thanks, I appreciate the guidance. I've never caught either of these species.
Jeff

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

DeezNuts wrote:Fished from 1-6ish. Saw some big spanishes caught a couple kings, including my barely keeper. I also beached a 30 inch cobe and set him free to enjoy his youth.
nice cobe yesterday.
Mike definetly felt the hostility towards him yesterday
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

40# cobe hit the deck today. 40 is conservative.

Ran out from under the T and hit a live pinfish, then ran back under the pier....out the other side. Angler ( did not get his name ) puts the spool in free spool to keep from getting frayed....Hand rod off to Marco while we try to get the line - he with a gaff, me with a gotcha....

I snagged his line on the other side W A gotcha - Handed it off - Marco is working the first rod back in while he spliced the line W the Cobe still on it onto another stick....

Reeled it in after a while

Marco sunk a gaff in one side - I sunk a second into the other side of it - We both hauled that pig on board.....One of the coolest hook, fight and landings I have seen in a while - good syncronicity on the old school method of handling a big fish under the pier.

Other than that just one Big Bonita in the AM

- CLEAR AND DEAD CALM Water - I just loaded up on gogs for the freezer the rest of the am.....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

dickey17
Fisher

Post by dickey17 »

Hey guys a quick couple of questions. What kind of bait is at the pier now I'm thinking of stopping by this afternoon to catch some bait on a sabiki to fish for snook this weekend? Also, I mostly fish spillways will the bait I catch at the pier be good to use at the spillways even if they are dead?

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

dickey17 wrote:Hey guys a quick couple of questions. What kind of bait is at the pier now I'm thinking of stopping by this afternoon to catch some bait on a sabiki to fish for snook this weekend? Also, I mostly fish spillways will the bait I catch at the pier be good to use at the spillways even if they are dead?
Likely -will be some Gogeleyes, they do not hit sabiki regulary at the pier but will sometimes hit biogger quills on OCCASION. I would not plan for it. Gog bugs work better. They are small
Ice jigs available at local tackle shops...

They make good cut bait when fresh, but not sure how well they would do in a spillway - better off I think with some live bream.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

HMLHMLHML
Fisher

Post by HMLHMLHML »

went today from 5-9, some guy hit a 35-40lb cobia, goggle eye were everywhere around the hut, pretty calm out there, clear water, nothing else really came up

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Cookinman wrote:40# cobe hit the deck today. 40 is conservative.

Ran out from under the T and hit a live pinfish, then ran back under the pier....out the other side. Angler ( did not get his name ) puts the spool in free spool to keep from getting frayed....Hand rod off to Marco while we try to get the line - he with a gaff, me with a gotcha....

I snagged his line on the other side W A gotcha - Handed it off - Marco is working the first rod back in while he spliced the line W the Cobe still on it onto another stick....

Marco sunk a gaff in one side - I sunk a second into the other side of it - We both hauled that pig on board.....One of the coolest hook, fight and landings I have seen in a while - good syncronicity on the old school method of handling a big fish under the pier.

Other than that just one Big Bonita in the AM

- CLEAR AND DEAD CALM Water - I just loaded up on gogs for the freezer the rest of the am.....
Ubelievable story! :toast:

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Nice report cookinman!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Cookinman wrote:40# cobe hit the deck today. 40 is conservative.

:shock:

Hoping I can tell a story like that tomorrow. :mrgreen: Going to be freeeeeezing cold. 52 degrees at 7 AM with a 13 mph N wind. :lol:

:pistols:

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Anyone going to the pier tomorrow? I'm bringing a 30 gallon livewell.

kingfishnastys
Seasoned Fisher

Post by kingfishnastys »

yaya one more googan to add to the bunch tomarrow :toast:

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

Anti papi troops full force tommrow
give em hell!!! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

P.S
John knows two english words.
COBIA!!! with emphasis and Papi! :scold:
Someones gonna get an english lesson tommorow.

Tommorow is gonna be kid infested im warning you all !!

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

PaulieBoy wrote:Well I have been laying low for to long so I plan on making a impression....I'll be wearing buttless chaps and throwing trollied squid rigs with a yo-yo international!
That is Dania attire sir! Deerfield is blood soaked T-Shirts that look like they have been used to bandage gunshot wounds.
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Sounds like the Deerfield pier rats have had enough here's something to get you guys fired up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87zLInfg ... re=related Hope you catch some fish in this artic blast.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Got there around 7:30 with my livewell, caught a few gogs bugging. They were pretty hard to get. Threw out a trolley and put a gog on that. I had something slam the bait almost in half somehow missing the treble by a fraction of an inch. Lost a good sized snapper near the pilings due to those freaking Kmart Special rigs snagged down there... That's all the action I got.

Zach and crew caught a few nice Kings. I think his friend (Mike?) locked the drag up on this big reel he had, up popped a nice Snook an inch short. Some other guy caught a small Cobia but broke off when the net came into play. Big bonita a little later... Nothing much.

I can't wait to hear Zach's version of this, but his Avet I think started SCREAMING like a boat was attached to it. This huge thing jumps out of the water, we thought it was a porpoise. Then it jumped again and broke off. Everyone swore it was an ocean sunfish. He reeled in the line and somehow the weight was gone but the bait was still there... like the fish ate the weight... Maybe we should trolley 8 oz huh...

Other than that... nothin...

By the way, there should be a rule, no more than 1 trolley a person. There was WAY too many lines going everywhere today. Frentals agreed with me. I couldn't even cast a jig.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Who's going Monday?? :reeling:
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

PaulieBoy wrote:
clarkemp3 wrote: By the way, there should be a rule, no more than 1 trolley a person. There was WAY too many lines going everywhere today. Frentals agreed with me. I couldn't even cast a jig.
I agree with that %100, that pier would have ALOT more success if they enforced that rule! I have been wanting to talk to the manager about that but he is never there when I am.
They seriously need to do something about it. I was reading old reports of last year and there were pictures with about two rods in the corner and that's it. There was literally a rod every 6 to 8 inches, with the corners having at least 5 in each. You can't cast, you can't bottom fish and it's hard as hell to cast out a trolley yourself without crossing over someone else's because if you cast a foot to the right or a foot to the left too far you just screwed up someone else's line.

It ticks me off. I get excited to go fishing every time the night before, thinking "I'll be able to catch some nice fish", and every time I get disappointed. Every time a line goes off there's a tangle. There was ballyhoo showering with bonitas/kings chasing them, but I couldn't even cast a bucktail out there today because there's 6 lines going every which way.

SnapperSnatcher
Old Salt

Post by SnapperSnatcher »

ONE OFF THE PROBLEMS IS THAT WE ARE SAYING TO MUCH ON HERE AND EVERYONE WANTS TO GO TO DEERFIELD NOW SO FROM NOW ON I'M NOT SAYING S%#@... THE FISHING SUCKS LOL AND IT SHOULD BE ONE TROLLY AND ONE BOTTOM THATS PRETTY FAIR I THINK?? :scratch:
''Bobster The Lobster''

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by fishnfool73 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Sounds like they should do like Anglins does with only one pompano rod allowed at a a time. Problem with that is enforcement though. I mean don't they have a rod limit on that pier and if they do they don't enforce it at all. All piers should limit anglers to 3 or 4 rods each. This would limit clutter on the rails , too many rods in the water i.e. tangles, and stolen rods as well.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

2 rods is more in the water than enough.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

fishnfool73 wrote:Sounds like the Deerfield pier rats have had enough here's something to get you guys fired up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87zLInfg ... re=related Hope you catch some fish in this artic blast.
I almost threw Derek in the Water on Friday - Literally.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Cookinman wrote:I almost threw Derek in the Water on Friday - Literally.
Don't f'ked with Anthony or he will make you sleep with the fishes - Literally. :D
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

hahah zach freaking hooked a mogan sunfish and boy do they sure brawl for the two seconds u have them on, saw a mogan manatee as well.
Mike got the biggest king around 10lbs and i losta bunch on snoble, got my wire cut once, no big ones around lots of snakes, today might be better. bait was hard to get as well,

Sunfish!!!!!!!!!!!! :dude:

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

me mike tj and vincent stayed all night and almost died. at one point i had on a pair of sweatpants with shorts on over them, 2 jackets, a shirt sleeve buff over my face, and ghetto socks (pant legs pulled down over my feet and sandals on over them). and i was still cold :lol: . night fishing was bad after about 12 but before that there were snook in the lights and they would only eat croakers. we fished many a crab but no takers. ya that sunfish was freaking hillarious but that was not an avet, that was a progear my friend 8) . i got a king and marco might as well have got another on my rod cus he had to " control the fish" before he could give me the rod :?. i also lost atleast 5 more kings but all small. i want to get a big freaking king off that pier already!!! anyway mike got about a 9lber and blaine got one too. oh and mike got a 27 1/2 inch snook on jordans tld 30 with 100lb mono and merked it :lol:. jordan had a king on and someone (forget who) lifted up johns rod so jordan could get under it and john had a hissyfit. he kept yelling "leaving the pole" so i followed with a "shutting the f*ck up" and that was the end of that 8). here are some pics.

this is before i remembered i had shorts in my bag and after i gave my second jacket to tj because he was shivering so much he couldnt talk.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

PaulieBoy wrote:
clarkemp3 wrote: By the way, there should be a rule, no more than 1 trolley a person. There was WAY too many lines going everywhere today. Frentals agreed with me. I couldn't even cast a jig.
I agree with that %100, that pier would have ALOT more success if they enforced that rule! I have been wanting to talk to the manager about that but he is never there when I am.
me and viktor talked to keith about this a few days ago and he said unfourtunatly that as long as they follow the rod limit (which most dont) he cant tell them how to fish.

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Possably take the complaint to the city, Who ever supervises him?

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”