Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by TAILTEASIN »

Just fish for snook and you can pick up some snapper doing that at Pompano but you have to know how to walk your bait the rite way! :wink:
WHEN THE SEAS GET ROUGH GET ROUGH WITH IT!!!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Do the Pompano Bop
A special Snook walk with your bait and the rig and I like to refer to it as a Snook Dance, but it is a walk.

I can always tell a Pompano Pier rat from there ability to effectively use this methods and slay fish, Hats Off to ya
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

If you could walk the walk then you talk the talk. It's all about patience I learned from one of the best when that pier still had the ugly blue light poles and the ring toss was the coolest thing as a kid at that pier!
WHEN THE SEAS GET ROUGH GET ROUGH WITH IT!!!

SnapperSnatcher
Old Salt

Post by SnapperSnatcher »

at dania its called the veny walk with one once well depends on the conditions and a shrip.... works very good i use it in the winter time...
''Bobster The Lobster''

JimmyTheJuke
Fisher

Post by JimmyTheJuke »

Fished last night and really nothing happening except for a few snapper. No bait after sunset. I gusess this is due to the new and improved lighting they have installed :bounce: Looks as though bait will be scarce after sunset from here on. I was unprepared for the darkness and had great difficulty rigging and such. Thought I was at Deerfield for a little while there. General feeling is disgust at the powers that be for the light situation. Guess I need to find another location.
Just when I think I know what I'm doing, those smart ass fishes proves me wrong.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

I never fished Pompano but Deerfield pier is pretty well light for a pier. If you cant see at night which 90% of us I recommend buying a light that attaches to your cap. It is a life saver. Daina is another pier that has decent lighting. Anglins has make shift lights. They were installing the lights and had a few on but its no longer on anymore.

Give it time as the bait will get use to the light and will come back.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

JimmyTheJuke wrote:Fished last night and really nothing happening except for a few snapper. No bait after sunset. I gusess this is due to the new and improved lighting they have installed :bounce: Looks as though bait will be scarce after sunset from here on. I was unprepared for the darkness and had great difficulty rigging and such. Thought I was at Deerfield for a little while there. General feeling is disgust at the powers that be for the light situation. Guess I need to find another location.
Cap lights and a chumbag solve both issues. Gogs will be in soon and they are caught better W little to no light :) Nightime baitcatching is an art.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Cookinman wrote:
Cap lights and a chumbag solve both issues. Gogs will be in soon and they are caught better W little to no light :) Nightime baitcatching is an art.
I used to do commercial swordfishing and a little of baitfishing, and let me tell you Cookinman is dead on, when we used to go for gogs at night(granted we were well offshore) once we got them dialed in and figured out what they wanted is was awesome to just pull up stringers of gogs at a time on the sabiki, it really is an art,you just gotta dial it in, and once you do it's awesome
Hold Fast

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Rijkaard wrote:we did that way last trip in the tugas, fishing 15-20# spinners with 8 hooks tipped with squid and catching 3-4 pounds of gogs at a time and get rewarded minutes later with a 15lb mutton, priceless

or you can buy roofer's bestseller "100 ways to catch a gog" :lol:
Mister you got lucky with that 15lb Mutton. 20oz sinkers and we couldnt hold bottom. Still a great catch. :D

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Rijkaard wrote:
bolo wrote:
Rijkaard wrote:we did that way last trip in the tugas, fishing 15-20# spinners with 8 hooks tipped with squid and catching 3-4 pounds of gogs at a time and get rewarded minutes later with a 15lb mutton, priceless

or you can buy roofer's bestseller "100 ways to catch a gog" :lol:
Mister you got lucky with that 15lb Mutton. 20oz sinkers and we couldnt hold bottom. Still a great catch. :D
have to confess, I copied chris' rig :oops:
You sure about that? I remember a post on the FFF where Killula was the one who told you to change your rig. :D

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

So I had never caught a pompano before and figured today I would try and change that, but if I didn't oh well since it was such a nice day, within 30 seconds of being on the pier I see a couple bright flashes make my first cast, and catch my first pompano, ended the day catching about 50, all short by an inch or so, still tons of fun. Bait everywhere, saw one snook caught but broke off when he tried to flip it, and pompano if you could follow the school. I was using a doc's goofy jig and have a funny picture that I'll post later about how good that thing works. I love how yesterday I could say, nope, never caught a pompano, and today I can say, well I've probably caught about 50 in my lifetime. Best day fishing in a long time.Fished from 2:30-6pm :happyfisherman:

Double hookup on one jig
Hold Fast

DMJ
Weekend Warrior

Post by DMJ »

Hey Guy's, My buddy Joe and I grabbed two dozen shrimp and headed to Pompano pier at sunset Monday. 4 short snook, 2 keeper margate,3 throwback muttons. Shrimp on various colored leaded jigs. Can someone bend the wind to the north please?

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

DMJ wrote: Can someone bend the wind to the north please?

...lol I'm with you.

How did the pier look?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

DMJ
Weekend Warrior

Post by DMJ »

What-up-Cookin, Have'nt meet you but I'm sure we have seen each other at Anglins. The pier looked good, no fences,clean,3ft. high pole lites down the middle of walkwaybut no lites on the water yet. I think I'm going to try again today even though the water will be dark. See you around. I'm in the stonecrab buisness so I have 8 days of freedom left. Come-on wind!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

DMJ wrote:What-up-Cookin, Have'nt meet you but I'm sure we have seen each other at Anglins. The pier looked good, no fences,clean,3ft. high pole lites down the middle of walkwaybut no lites on the water yet. I think I'm going to try again today even though the water will be dark. See you around. I'm in the stonecrab buisness so I have 8 days of freedom left. Come-on wind!
It is blowin pretty decent straight outta the east today here in Boca - Good news for the offshore guys - thould bring some nice weedlines east, making for short Dophin Runs.....I had lunch W my brother today so no pier for me.

Is it cool to bring small kids to pomp yet? I mean, little construction and the railings - Were they small spaced or larger spaced like at Anglins?

Thanks DJ !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

DMJ
Weekend Warrior

Post by DMJ »

I'M HEADING THERE RITE NOW. GET BACK TO YOU LATER. 2:50PM

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Swordslayer71 wrote:So I had never caught a pompano before and figured today I would try and change that, but if I didn't oh well since it was such a nice day, within 30 seconds of being on the pier I see a couple bright flashes make my first cast, and catch my first pompano, ended the day catching about 50, all short by an inch or so, still tons of fun. Bait everywhere, saw one snook caught but broke off when he tried to flip it, and pompano if you could follow the school. I was using a doc's goofy jig and have a funny picture that I'll post later about how good that thing works. I love how yesterday I could say, nope, never caught a pompano, and today I can say, well I've probably caught about 50 in my lifetime. Best day fishing in a long time.Fished from 2:30-6pm :happyfisherman:

Double hookup on one jig
Awrsome report and Thanks, sorry i did not see it until now, your going to love catching 2 to 4 lbders, can you say HOOKED
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Thanks DJ !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

DMJ
Weekend Warrior

Post by DMJ »

HEY NOW, FISHED THE POMP FROM 3 TILL 7PM . 1 APX.4LB BONEFISH ON POMP. RIG W/ SHRIMP ON TOP FLEA ON BOTTOM JUST OUTSIDE OF THE BEREAKERS INSHORE NORTH SIDE. 3 MOHARRA TO TAKE HOME. NOT MUCH ELSE GOING ON. I MUST HAVE HAD THE BEST DAY CUZ THE OTHER 8 PEOPLE OUT THERE TIGHTENED UP ON MY SPACE WHICH IS OK. COOKIN- I MEASURED 6INCHES BETWEEN THE UP AND DOWN SLATS WITH ONLY A COUPLE MISSING WEST TO EAST.2 X 5 ACROSS THE BOTTOM ALL AROUND. LIVE WELLS ARE UP ON THE SHORE. U SHOULD BE OK! GOING TO TRY AGAIN WED. NOT MUCH BAITWISE AS FAR AS I SAW. I'M BETTING IT'S BETTER TO BE NORTH RITE NOW TILL STUFF GETS GOING!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

DMJ wrote:HEY NOW, FISHED THE POMP FROM 3 TILL 7PM . 1 APX.4LB BONEFISH ON POMP. RIG W/ SHRIMP ON TOP FLEA ON BOTTOM JUST OUTSIDE OF THE BEREAKERS INSHORE NORTH SIDE. 3 MOHARRA TO TAKE HOME. NOT MUCH ELSE GOING ON. I MUST HAVE HAD THE BEST DAY CUZ THE OTHER 8 PEOPLE OUT THERE TIGHTENED UP ON MY SPACE WHICH IS OK. COOKIN- I MEASURED 6INCHES BETWEEN THE UP AND DOWN SLATS WITH ONLY A COUPLE MISSING WEST TO EAST.2 X 5 ACROSS THE BOTTOM ALL AROUND. LIVE WELLS ARE UP ON THE SHORE. U SHOULD BE OK! GOING TO TRY AGAIN WED. NOT MUCH BAITWISE AS FAR AS I SAW. I'M BETTING IT'S BETTER TO BE NORTH RITE NOW TILL STUFF GETS GOING!

Thanks DJ - I lovethe atmosphere on anglins, but worry my littlest one could go over - she is stillpretty young - Pomp may just be ready for em - Good to hear the livewells are coming back to life - that is a really nice thing to have out there !

As far as North goes - I'll letcha know tomorrow :) Either way less freshwater would help us all I think.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

fished today from 430-630ishpm, nothing, no fish, no bait, rough day
Hold Fast

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Fished today 10/13 from 3-5pm, saw a small black drum come up, and heard reports of a bonefish being caught earlier and some bluefish. Had to leave due to apocalyptic-esque lightning/wind/rain.Didn't see too much bait around, water was a solid green if not brown, kept getting lots of weed on the line. Tight Lines.
Hold Fast

Rancocasrich
Fisher

Post by Rancocasrich »

This newbie was on the Pompano Pier from 5:00 - 7:00 PM. I tried to use the info the BFF has given me and I had a good time. I caught 6 Jacks and a sea perch - at least that is what I think they are. There was a lot of activity on the pier. The guy next to me caught 2 mackeral and one pompano while I was there. Other fish were coming onto the pier pretty regularly. I can't comment on water clarity etc. because I don;t know what it is normally like. I'll be back to the PP on Thursday. Thanks BFF for the help.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice report and glad to hear the site helped you out. You hang in there and watch those guys and gals catching fish and copy what they are doing and you will be giving advice on here and passing on the information you have learned.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Marc and I got up to Pompano at daybreak and we finally had an east wind at about 20. The water was semi-clear and some small waves with a little white on top. We thought it finally would hold some big macks and maybe some pomps. There were a few really good sized macks taken on strips with a bobber and one on a Gotcha (Red and silver). No pomps, at all. Sad. And there were huge, make that massive pilchards in the corners of the tee. They made for some really good bait. I had at least 4 macks come by to look at my Gotcha, but they wouldn't hit it. Talk about finicky (sp?). Otherwise, there were a ton of ballyhoos in the chum slick Joe put out and he had a few cutoffs with them. It was a beautiful day for the tourists, but rather slow for the fishers. I think the runoff from the canals is still affecting production of fish. There were glass minnows on top, under the tee, but nothing under them. Usually, there's some runners or something. But, not this time. The really bad thing (as if that weren't enough) was the tide was out by 11 a.m., and just about everything stopped. We hauled butt around 12:30, in pursuit of Wendy's for lunch. I took a couple of those large pilchards home (kept them in my bucket with the air pump on) and fed them to my two English bulldogs. Dude, they LOVE sushi! Tight lines, dudes! Where's my rum? :drunk: Out.
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Spear'em!
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Spear'em! »

Anything going on up that way/ Its been since thanksgiving? I guess the bite must be good?
Lock & Load!

Harpmanr
Old Salt

Post by Harpmanr »

A few spanish mackeral, runners & Cuda. That's about it for the last couple of days.
"Life is a gift from God. Fish it as much as possible." "The happier you are, the happier you become."

Harpmanr
Old Salt

Post by Harpmanr »

The Spanish mackeral and pompano bite has been good the last couple of days.
"Life is a gift from God. Fish it as much as possible." "The happier you are, the happier you become."

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Is Pompano pier crammed anything like Deerfield??

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

No, dude! At least the last couple weekends, it hasn't been. And from the sound of it, there's also a lot less drama going on about trolley lines and all. You can still find room to toss a jig. Marc and I will be there tomorrow morn, early. Tight lines! Out.
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”