taking the class

Ask or Tell us Anything that is not about Fishing, this is the Off Topic Section for the light hearted things.
gdm phil
SHARKER

taking the class

Post by gdm phil »

So on May 23 I start my Capt class! cant wait
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Re: taking the class

Post by MrEnigma »

gdm phil wrote:So on May 23 I start my Capt class! cant wait
Congrats, and good luck!

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Godd luck bro!

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Cudos to Captain Phil. :salut:
Fish Crazy

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Good for you and glad you're back posting.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

just paid my deposit,
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Good for you...
What is special about having capt license?
you already operating your boat...

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Just think I GRUNTKING can do it how tough can it be ? (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Just read the book it's not that bad
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

If Joey passed da book must have small words.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Kingofthesea wrote:If Joey passed da book must have small words.
Small words ? More like lots of pictures. (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I'm illiterate not retarded you arse hats

Be sure to study set and drift rules of the road was a real pain
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

gruntking wrote:I'm illiterate not retarded you arse hats n
Thanks for the clarification........ in your own inimitable style. Next time you're asked I would go with retarded.

just sayin'

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Kingofthesea wrote:
gruntking wrote:I'm illiterate not retarded you arse hats n
Thanks for the clarification........ in your own inimitable style. Next time you're asked I would go with retarded.

just sayin'
Joe is just trying to help Phil...

GK
Where did you find the book that have lots of pic but no words?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Captains test for dummy's got it of Amazon
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

kblue wrote:Good for you...
I'm assuming he wants to start running charters?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

gruntking wrote:Captains test for dummy's got it of Amazon
The book name changed from "Captains test for dummy" to "even Joe can do it"
And it's all sold out...

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
kblue wrote:Good for you...
I'm assuming he wants to start running charters?
yes, I have a idea for a buissness model and a monthly goal.

out of 30 days in a month I need to do 12 trips a month. with being able to do 60 trips a month morn/afternoon. and given the weather I feel I can be profitable
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Phil how many charters do you get calls for now ?
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Start out slow bro. Don't quit your job for this yet. A real good start is book enough paying trips to cover the boat complete. You get to that point and you won't have any problem building from there. It's a tough satruated market. Best be cautious when testing these waters. You're not building a business, you're building a regular customer base which takes time. Before you know it, you'll be selling your boat!
Most likely for a bigger one.

Also, open a business credit card and put everything "boat" on that card. Including the oil and fuel for your truck to pull it. Eventually you'll be able to write off the truck and a bunch o other stuff as well. Get a good accountant.

Captains license is the easy part.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

crashmister wrote:Start out slow bro. Don't quit your job for this yet. A real good start is book enough paying trips to cover the boat complete. You get to that point and you won't have any problem building from there. It's a tough satruated market. Best be cautious when testing these waters. You're not building a business, you're building a regular customer base which takes time. Before you know it, you'll be selling your boat!
Most likely for a bigger one.

Also, open a business credit card and put everything "boat" on that card. Including the oil and fuel for your truck to pull it. Eventually you'll be able to write off the truck and a bunch o other stuff as well. Get a good accountant.

Captains license is the easy part.
thats the plan, Im hoping once I get everything setup I can book a few weekend trips a month,

Rebecca is out of work on disability right now so she will be handling the social media marketing. we have a game plan to get alot of traffic to the sites to drum up clients. the packages im working on and services I plan on providing will set me apart from the rest hopefully.
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

gruntking wrote:Phil how many charters do you get calls for now ?
maybe 2 a month
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Are you going to call it sky cliff charters?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Good stuff man, hope you can make it work.

Not to be negative, but do you really think a few trips a month, will offset all of the money you'll have to pay for your county business license, vessel fishing license, liability insurance (need a pretty big policy for a charter boat), tackle (charter clients will abuse your gear pretty badly), etc, etc?

I know a couple guys that tried to do what you're doing, and they all realized pretty quickly that they were losing a crapload of money, unless they were running 20-25 charters a month.

Either way, best of luck :toast:

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

thanx im not quiting my day job just yet, im going to explore this part time, and build it from the ground up
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Yuri didn't start out with the Jenny Marie. You gonna keep a log to up your rating over time?

You do have a bit of an overhead advantage. Your boats in your driveway when not in use. You're not stuck with at the dock fuel prices and your maintenance is that much easier.

But remember, most guys today are sinking serious money into electronics. CHIRP sonar can see bait at hundreds of feet. The new medium range high end radar systems can see birds at a couple miles. They don't catch fish, but they sure tell you if they're there or not. I'm just starting to get the hang of mine. Takes lots o gain adjustment to filter out the crap in the water. Bad news is they suck power big time! I got the deep transducer thinking it was rated 900 feet. It was really rated 900 meeter's. The wattage required to drive the transducer is huge so I needed 2 additional batteries and a complete rewrire of my battery power and switching. Let me know if you're planning any upgrades. Even with the shielded components nowadays, if you don't wire em right, you'll still get noise/interference. Especially in the stackable modular components.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

crashmister wrote:Yuri didn't start out with the Jenny Marie. You gonna keep a log to up your rating over time?

You do have a bit of an overhead advantage. Your boats in your driveway when not in use. You're not stuck with at the dock fuel prices and your maintenance is that much easier.

But remember, most guys today are sinking serious money into electronics. CHIRP sonar can see bait at hundreds of feet. The new medium range high end radar systems can see birds at a couple miles. They don't catch fish, but they sure tell you if they're there or not. I'm just starting to get the hang of mine. Takes lots o gain adjustment to filter out the crap in the water. Bad news is they suck power big time! I got the deep transducer thinking it was rated 900 feet. It was really rated 900 meeter's. The wattage required to drive the transducer is huge so I needed 2 additional batteries and a complete rewrire of my battery power and switching. Let me know if you're planning any upgrades. Even with the shielded components nowadays, if you don't wire em right, you'll still get noise/interference. Especially in the stackable modular components.
The liability insurance is what would scare me the most out of chartering...unfortunately in this day and age, all it takes is one guy to say that he bumped his head or got bit by a kingfish, and the next thing you know you've got every South FL scumbag lawyer after you. The policies I've seen for chartering are crazy expensive, and if you don't have one, you are risking getting sued for every bit of personal liability that you own. Not worth losing my house and savings.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
crashmister wrote:Yuri didn't start out with the Jenny Marie. You gonna keep a log to up your rating over time?

The liability insurance is what would scare me the most out of chartering...unfortunately in this day and age, all it takes is one guy to say that he bumped his head or got bit by a kingfish, and the next thing you know you've got every South FL scumbag lawyer after you. The policies I've seen for chartering are crazy expensive, and if you don't have one, you are risking getting sued for every bit of personal liability that you own. Not worth losing my house and savings.
its not as bad as you would think for a 6 pack charter license
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

The person that replied above you knows what he's talking about. Other than the outrageous insurance policy to protect you. The business and boat should be registered under a Limited Liability Company.

If you have children, a Family Limited Partnership is also in your best interest.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

With Becca's role in the business, that really makes the most sense. But betting you've already look pretty closely at all your options.

Don't be in a hurry here Phil. Keep your goals in reach. If by the end of the first year you're not loosing money, you're doing pretty good. Making your 5 year goal a living, is a bit more realistic.

Start watching Craig's list for a commercial ice maker. Keep an eye out for a couple freezers as well. You need bait storage and the ice maker will save you a fortune and make your life much easier and saves the bait in the food freezer debate. I can pipe it in for you, just let me know.

Return to “Off Topic Lounge "light hearted"”