Bottom Rod?

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Bottom Rod?

Post by englishadam »

I just purchased myself a Daiwa Saltiga SA40, I'm looking for a rod to pair with this reel, will mainly be used in the Tortugas for Mutton and the Grouper.

Anyone recommend anything?

Thanks,

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Re: Bottom Rod?

Post by Miamipescador »

Star dlx49 would be a great rod for that that imo, but with a reel of that price you should def go custom.

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

I will check that rod out, I was just looking at the Star Paraflex Conventional Boat Rods PGB70XH.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Miamipescador wrote:Star dlx49 would be a great rod for that that imo, but with a reel of that price you should def go custom.
Adam,
Maybe you could get STRIZ to build you a Sweeeeeet custom mutton rods???

:reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

englishadam wrote:I will check that rod out, I was just looking at the Star Paraflex Conventional Boat Rods PGB70XH.
Its a 9 foot 50-80 blank.
they are hdarder to find now because they are discontinued and you would need to buy used for the most part.

I would buy one used and get it rewrapped, or even better go full custom, striz makes some nice rods.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Custom...Calstar Grafighter, Phenix, Seeker...all are great blanks for Tortugas bottom fishing.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Once you get the reel come to my place and you can try it out on a few of my Tugas rods to see what you prefer.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

fishnfool73 wrote:Once you get the reel foment my place and you can try it out on a few of my Tugas rods to see what you prefer.
Thanks, I'll wait for the reel.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

I use a Calstar 850H Ron built for me and an 800L from T&R Tackle. Both have the guts to pull anything out and have a tip so sensitive that premature hooking is avoidable :biglaugh: I can also let you test them.

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

Anything over 8ft is a pain in the ass for me they dont fit inside the mustang ;)

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sincityg8 »

How much and when do these Tortugas trips go out. I would like to test my Striz grafighter and the accurate.
TEAM CHANNEL 2 IS MY KRYPTONITE!!!!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

The Yuri trips will run you around $1,400 tip and food included. Usually around $600 for boat around $100 for tip, $100 for bait, the rest in food and that special gear you want to have. :mrgreen:

The Yankee Capts goes out on two and three day trips and are $360 to $500 plus tip and same items as above.

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sincityg8 »

cudaman wrote:The Yuri trips will run you around $1,400 tip and food included. Usually around $600 for boat around $100 for tip, $100 for bait, the rest in food and that special gear you want to have. :mrgreen:

The Yankee Capts goes out on two and three day trips and are $360 to $500 plus tip and same items as above.
Is there a link to the Yuri trips so I can see when they are scheduled?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Good luck he is booked for many months to come and you will need a group of 6 people. Here is the link:
http://www.tortugasfishing.com/home.html

The Yankee Capts is more of a big party boat and more than likely has many spots open:
http://www.yankeecapts.com/

To go fishing on these trips you will need a lot of info. Look for fishingfool73's guide. It will get you plenty information. maybe he can post the link on here.

sincityg8
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sincityg8 »

Thanks for the info guys, I will look into the Yankee Capts then, or keep and eye out for a cancel.

I will read up on FF73's info. I figure since I am only down here for 6 more months I might as well try all I can. :reeling:

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You should, a trip fishing to the Dry Tortugas is always great! Just know this:

The last trip where you can catch grouper for the next few month's is this one (cost is $500): http://www.thundertix.com/buy/showsecti ... 7&eid=8157

Return to “Bottom Fishing Wrecks-Reefs”