5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Yak Fishing Reports from around the State of Florida
Post Reply
User avatar
Xpierrat
Old Salt
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Formally Charlotte,NC Now in Boynton beach, Fl
Contact:

5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by Xpierrat »

Well I hit Daina pier at first light and jigged up a couple doz. Pilchards with no problem.

At 7:30 Wind was calm and expected to be WNW and then North and then NW for the day with a North current so I launched on the North side of the pier and headed out in front of John Loyd Park with my baits.... First Bait was a nice scrappy but under sized ( gee go figure) Grouper..... I worked out a Mile or so dropping anchor in some spots and just drifting others.
No big fish but had 1 Bonny, 4 or 5 Mac's, a few snapper, and other assorted bottom fish all of which were released on this trip. FWC came by in the afternoon to check on me....( " no I am not totally crazy and yes I am 62 years old...Why " ) Told him that I had kept no fish and yes I did have a lic. so off he went. By then I had worked my way North toward the inlet when I relized the wind was starting up and was SE not NW.... and in-fact was getting stronger ( 10 to 12 or so )

Man It was a long paddle back against the wind and a North current that had gotten much stronger.... The surf was of course up so I prepared the best I could in-case I dumped it on the landing but all went as hoped and I rode a nice wave in where two guys on the beach helped by grabbing the nose handle and dragging the yak up where the next wave would do me no harm....Phew I was whipped.

All in all a nice day on the water with out all the drama that DFP has had lately.

Next trip will be Mid week depending on the wind and such.

BTW here is a couple shots of my Yak.... If you are out and see me paddle over and say hi.

Image

No snide remarks about the pink wheels.... the price was right ( big wheel in the dumpster )

Image This was the first time using the live well ( last year was a troll behind bucket ) and it worked flawlessly.... battery gave out near the end but even then tossing a little fresh water in kept the last few baits well and frisky.

Image front view with my crate.

Gramps
Rick

User avatar
Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1276
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 pm
Location: Coral Springs
Contact:

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by Jordan »

Nice report.. How well do those wheels work when you need to drag your yak on the sand? We always dread having to drag the yak with no wheels and all of our sharking gear, and the rubber wheels suck.

User avatar
Xpierrat
Old Salt
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Formally Charlotte,NC Now in Boynton beach, Fl
Contact:

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by Xpierrat »

If the yak is loaded ( which it usually is) they dig in on soft sand and I find it easier to just drag it..... Need some of those Wheel Ez balloon wheels... just need to find the coins for them...
Rick

User avatar
james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Jupiter

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by james380 »

Great report and yes the first thing i noticed was the wheels.
Image
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

User avatar
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Coral Springs

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by Cookinman »

Nice Report Rick - Im thinking of Beekin up a couple Doz from Pompano before our drift tomorrow too...Nice work! Paddling back against wind and current is a frigin bear !

We are planning on dropping a few cars up north and goin from Pompano to Deerfield....Pullinf out in the curt a few hundred yards N of the pier....

The bite has been in like 230 lately I hear....

AWESOME Trip !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

User avatar
yakfish100
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by yakfish100 »

good report
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

User avatar
Bi0tic
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Sebastian

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by Bi0tic »

Love the report, keep em coming. :thumleft:
I want to Believe

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 3341
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 am
Location: herethere

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by fixed80 »

Bi0tic wrote:Love the report, keep em coming. :thumleft:
same here 2.

gdm phil
SHARKER
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:22 am
Location: wellington, FL
Contact:

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by gdm phil »

im considering stepping it up to a fishing yak. my question is how do you transport it?
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

User avatar
Xpierrat
Old Salt
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Formally Charlotte,NC Now in Boynton beach, Fl
Contact:

Re: 5/27/10 Daina beach trip

Post by Xpierrat »

gdm phil wrote:im considering stepping it up to a fishing yak. my question is how do you transport it?
Well if any of you have seen how I pack my little Toyota Matrix for pier fishing you will love how I do the Yak ( actually I have more room most of the time when Yaking)

I have Malone Yak wings on a roof rack and carry it up there. I will try to do some photos of the rack with and with out the yak next time I load it up. The rest of the gear goes inside.
Rick

Post Reply

Return to “Florida State Yak Fishing Reports”