Spinning Reels With Casting Rods?

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Ham
Weekend Warrior

Spinning Reels With Casting Rods?

Post by Ham »

Are there fishermen who use spinning reels with bait casting rods? What are the advantages/disadvantages? I looked at a bait casting rod that has the features & "feel" that i like but i'm hesitant in purchasing it because "others" say spinning reels & bait casting rods don't mix! Why not?

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Re: Spinning Reels With Casting Rods?

Post by JonathanT305 »

I've done it before, not as big of a deal as you'd think. I'm sure it's not "good" for the rod long term but it is alright if you need it for a quick fix.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Without getting into a long explanation
Spinners will not flow through the smaller guides smoothly and will create friction which in turn slows down the line and shortens your cast. Now I am not saying you can't do it sure you can but not as efficient a set up.

I would keep looking for the right spinning rod that has the action your looking for.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

OH you also get a an annoying line sound as it goes through
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

You are too ridiculous bro. I read the title and somehow knew it was your post. Lol No, ya just don't. By al means feel free to buy a casting rod for that Baitrunner and let us know how that goes. Like previously mentioned, the guides are too small, ever notice how they taper towards the tip on a spinning rod? The engineers did that for a purpose.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

The natural spine of a bait casting rod and a spinning rod are on opposite sides, unless are you using the spinning reel upside down or the bait casting rod upside down.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i mean i see nothing wrong with it i purposely use my spinning rods with my casting rods i feel like the casting rods just have better action for spinners
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Krash is spot on.

Some might say the spine is nowadays irrelevant but that is imo wrong.

Fishing against the spine is just not right. Imagine you can bend yourself forward but do that backward amd put some pressure on.

Snap that back. See what I am saying?
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Brother ......yesterday I watched a rod that you built whip a 25lb poon on 12lb. test, 10lb. leader, small thin long shank hook in 45 minutesin pitch black. One of the most incredible battles I have ever been witnessed in person in my life. Never in my life seen any rod perform better under extreme pressure than the piece you built. Let's meet somewhere so I can describe the kind of rod I'm looking for, my size, height, age lol. And I want it to be my everyday rod at Dania. After seeing that show last night I really think you have the talent to put the pieces together. PM me so we can talk.

PS I don't care what it costs.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

It all depends on what type of fishing you do (and maybe size of reel and type of line)...

In my experience, casting rod is good as long as you don't try to cast with spinning reel. :?:
Casting rod along with bait cast reel is designed 1) not to cast further than your target (it is important when you cast your $5 jig/lure toward spot before bad structure or tree roots/branches.) or 2) to have a better control of your cast distance.

So it is built to have a lot of line friction with small (and more) guides, which provides overall better control of cast distance .
Also, it has that annoying "finger grip" (whatever called) so that you can control the strength of thumb pressure when used with bait cast reel.
I would say to cut out the annoying port of finger grip when used with spinning reel.

Small guides sometimes gives you benefits if you don't cast.
For example, when you do free line fishing, you will see the benefit of these small guides, which increase rod sensitivity.
So you know better than others when fish bites and your jig hit bottom... I saw a guy with casting rod out-fished others.

Also, casting rod is generally cheaper than spinning rod in apple-to-apple comparison.
I think marketing plays some roles.

At the end of day, I would not use a spinning reel larger than 4000 with casting rod.
I would use braid line than mono. In fact, braid line goes very well with casting rod's small guides.

-Kblue

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

LOL Ricky.
It all started with a piece of red eva and trying a new tool to shape a funky grip. Liked it and slapped it on a blank out of my blanks stash. Some bling to it and the rest is history.

Always wanted to build technical looking rods clean cut like Peter does but for some reason my artistic side gets the better of me lmao
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I'm laughing Ricky cause you know I'm still working on just correctly identifying all the fish down here. Being able to eyeball the size comes much later. But if the poon weighed 25 or 50 pounds doesn't matter in the slightest. Absolute highlight of my trip.......you whipping that fish on that rod in that way. Everything (including you.....admit it) stressed to the max for 45 minutes waiting to see which element would break first.

Fish went first and I know the rod would have gone last. Yes....as you said, a work of art that actually defied physics. And I'm not talking about Spider-Man rod reel in a yak crap fun. This was as serious as I have ever seen and "the rod was as good as the angler" which really speaks volumes.

Magical Rods By STRIZ
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Kingofthesea wrote:Absolute highlight of my trip.......

You know what the highlight of the trip for me was.... :biglaugh: :P

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Just dying to tell them huh? Can you visualize the slippery slope you're standing on right now? I've walked past your sleeping a$$ with a Sharpie marker in my pocket a bunch of times in the last few months. Now, I don't post any pics here but .........,,,one of you still sleeping with a Salvatore Dahli mustache and beard drawn on by me will quickly become legend around these parts.

Your move and I'm ROFLMAO right now thinking about it

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I guess you didnt see the few flash when you were sleeping in the room, huh? There a reason you were in that room all by yourself :batman: :biglaugh: Rook takes queen

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i think yall should just post what you have i mean why else would you take the pics if not to show them off
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

fish5aver
Fisher

Post by fish5aver »

miguel456 wrote:It really doesn't make a difference if you use a casting rod on a spinning reel as long as you change the guides to spinning guides yourself(A couple months ago I caught a 7-7.5ft Lemon shark on a 6'6" Ulgy Stick Casting rod that I changed the guides on it over 10 years ago.The rod is only rated for 8-20lb mono and did a spectacular job helping me land that shark).The theory that "the spine of the rod cant bend the other way" is incorrect,at least with Ugly Stick rods.These rods are built tougher than any other rod in the market and is the only rod I know with a 7 year warranty to them.Go ahead and use that casting rod,just change the guides to spinning ones.
What's the average cost to change out the guides and where can I get it done? I have a bait casting rod that I would like to change out.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I doubt those mass-produced cheap rod even has the rod spine aligned with guides. Rod spine may have to be found by manual process.
This is one of reasons why custom rod is very expensive.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

what is your ugly stick built of? Fiber glass or carbon fiber. I am betting it is built out of fiber glass...

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

i know there are PLENTY other rods that are great for all types of reels and fishing, but my ugly sticks have been around for a long long time....never had to replace a rod nor its guides! but then again, i take care of my babies....LOL....some ppl are just maniacs with their rods...lol

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

:roll:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

I had a Tiger Light break on me with a heavy Jack. I had guides popping out and many for repair.

Gotta say tho of you have a uIgly that is still from USA production before they switched a lot to China to you def have a rod that will hold the ages.

Other than that custom is much more than just spine and guides.

Just saying
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Dang I still have 3 of them myself

Ugly sticks are not bad at all if made in USA imo

The ones I have are USA made.

BTW I repaired one of them with the guide popping out.

I had 2 others that were Chinese production and they BOTH failed before the year was over. Not the blank but the guides.

@miguel

Thanks
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

miguel456 wrote:There's a reason why the Ugly stick has been around for so long and can offer a 7 year warranty,which no onein the rod manufacturing business offers.

Calstar has a lifetime warranty.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Been a while but I snapped a bunch of Loomis rods (car doors, etc) and they always replaced them free of charge. One I had for over five years and still no problem. But as I said it's been a while.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

I have a ugly stick myself that I've had for about 7 years. It has been a real workhorse for me and is still going strong.
Fish Crazy

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

BTW Miguelito I find it interesting that you in particular say that you "prefer" the Ugly Stik. If I get to see you in the next three weeks be prepared for me to bring it up. You're gonna have to defend that for me. In simple terms

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Several Shimano's have a lifetime warranty too, I know 'cause I've had 3 replaced already, a Compre and two Crucials) They upgraded my old Compre which had a pretty good run, to a Crucial, and one of the grips came loose on that after a year. So they replaced the Crucial and then THAT one snapped during a cast. These are $150 rods folks!

So, they replaced the second Crucial and I sold it and bought a Star Stellar Lite, which also has a lifetime warranty.
The Star feels very solid and has held up really well. I do wish it had the Alconite guides of the Crucial though, but hey, it's a $99 rod.

I also have a Redbone rod, which also has a lifetime warranty, but that's never been tested either.

Then there's my old UGLY, going on about 12 years now. I've replaced a guide and the tip, but the rod blank is almost indestructable!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

There is a few more rod companies out there with lifetime warranty just wanted to point that out that j guy is not the only one.. Calstar is on top of their game and the top rod builders all over that back that up. I believe their rods have caught more tuna then any other rods out there and that is what they are really known for.Joe kills all his snook with a Calstar....rod is lite as a feather even with the reel. Ugly stick is like gator blanks and if it works for you and what you like there is nothing wrong with that. Custom is any blank you want it to be for whatever company. You get the guide, grip, decal color etc..etc. It's your rod how you want it.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Well said
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”